Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP
Mar 4, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #76 of 666
Steven, as per KT66's post. we need you to clarify exactly what type of device you need.

However, if your requirements happen to be for a self-sufficient DAP rather than a DAC-Amp + transport, then, alongside the HM901s, you could also consider some alternative forthcoming DAPs:

Lotoo PAW Gold
Questyle QP1
Acoustic Research AR-M2
Fiio X7

Please note that none of this is intended to dissuade you from buying an HM-901s - I'm only mentioning them since you specifically asked for some advice on what's available. 3 of the above DAPs are unknown performers at this stage, whereas the HM901 is still one of the best-regarded DAPs, in terms of sound quality.

Mar 4, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #77 of 666
  Steven, as per KT66's post. we need you to clarify exactly what type of device you need.

However, if your requirements happen to be for a self-sufficient DAP rather than a DAC-Amp + transport, then, alongside the HM901s, you could also consider some alternative forthcoming DAPs:

Lotoo PAW Gold
Questyle QP1
Acoustic Research AR-M2
Fiio X7

Please note that none of this is intended to dissuade you from buying an HM-901s - I'm only mentioning them since you specifically asked for some advice on what's available. 3 of the above DAPs are unknown performers at this stage, whereas the HM901 is still one of the best-regarded DAPs, in terms of sound quality.

I would also add QLS QA360 and Cayin N6 to the above list.

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #79 of 666
Thanks everyone! I just have a couple more questions. I actually am thinking about buying this over other DAPs/AMPs. I'm a little concerned about the output power of this to drive full-sized headphones. Based on the 901, do you guys think this will be able to drive the Hifiman HE500, Audeze LCD2, and the upcoming HE1000? I don't understand how Ohms and impedance affect headphone listening. I am not sure what the amps are in the 901s. It says it will have OPA2107 x2 and OPA 627 x2. Is that a powerful amp combination?  I don't want to spend $1000 and find out it won't drive my headphones to the best of its abilities. 

Thanks,
Steven

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #81 of 666
This is a portable player. Those aren't portable headphones.

So what headphones will you use?
The 901s is not for desktop, unless you add the docking station

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #82 of 666
  Thanks everyone! I just have a couple more questions. I actually am thinking about buying this over other DAPs/AMPs. I'm a little concerned about the output power of this to drive full-sized headphones. Based on the 901, do you guys think this will be able to drive the Hifiman HE500, Audeze LCD2, and the upcoming HE1000? I don't understand how Ohms and impedance affect headphone listening. I am not sure what the amps are in the 901s. It says it will have OPA2107 x2 and OPA 627 x2. Is that a powerful amp combination?  I don't want to spend $1000 and find out it won't drive my headphones to the best of its abilities. 

Thanks,
Steven

I can't say anything about Hifiman 901/901S DAP, but my experience with ibasso DX 90 MM (hardware modded, which does not affect the output power much) and Hifiman HE-500 headphones show that the external\more powerful amp is required for fully utilizing the HE-500's potential (don't know about the Audeze series as they seem to require less driving power). Other thing is that I still find my DX 90 achieving comparatively good results when driving HE-500. Thus, the diffrence, surprisingly for me, between the DAP's amp and the external amp on HE-500 is not that big.
The significant aspect of Hifiman 901/901S DAP though is that it has a switchable amp section, which makes 901 potentially capable of driving many types (if not all) of heaphones, provided you choose the most powerful amp among those available for 901.  

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #83 of 666

Thanks,
Steven

I use my HM-901 with Balanced amp card driving HE-6 with surprisingly good results. There is of course a limit to how loud it will play (it won't blast your ears if you should try), but the sound quality is wonderful (including bass). However, when I compare my high end amplifiers (Burson Soloist and Audio-gd Master 6) with the op-amp based internal amplifier, the big and heavy (4kg and 12kg respectively) amplifiers of course sound better and will play MUCH louder, and they should sound much better, because there is no limit to their size, weight, parts, psu, construction etc. etc.

In short:
A portable amp (internal or external) will never sound as good as a high end amplifier for home use. When this is said, the portable solution can be very satisfying and surpisingly close to the big, heavy and expensive high end setup that needs to stay in your house.

Will I carry my HE-6 around in the streets with the HM-901?
No. Never had and never will, but I sometimes use this combo indoor (moving around in the house etc.). It is after all an open back design - and it's heavy too.

Mar 13, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #84 of 666
I'm waiting for the 901s to be released >.< But I gotta agree with what was already said about open back headphones. Walking around with those at full volume is gonna get you noise ticketed sooner or later as EVERYONE will hear what you are listening to..and you are gonna hear everything happening around while trying to listen to the music... so if you are rocking to raunchy rap..heavy metal... Beethoven lost symphony ...hardcore polka or the soundtrack from  elmo's world...everyone will know ....

Trust me, you want to keep your elmo worlds music to yourself.

...la-la la la.. elmos world....

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #85 of 666
Could I control the volume without taking the device out of pocket? Would save me from taking the device out of pocket 100~150x per day

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #87 of 666
the only thing that i've been worrying about is the speed. I've got a HM901, it is definitely a my superman on sound quality side. But I'm thinking of selling it after a month due to its speed issue. HM901 is laggy and a bit slow. Even when I play 16/44 or 24/96. 

HM901S is 100% built with metal, which is very superb. If anyone here have tried, please tell me more about the problem above? 

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #88 of 666
Final version pics,

https://twitter.com/qiank/status/579828993362247681

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #90 of 666
Metal I believe, and compared to a PAW it looks great to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back