HiFiMAN HM650 Portable Music Player Impressions Thread
May 10, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #301 of 493
As far as I can tell, no (so the dock won't work either).

But that is another reason why it is so much cheaper than the HM-802, with essentially the same SQ.

Jun 12, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #302 of 493
The main difference between them is that the HM-802 can be used as a USB DAC, the HM-650 can't.

I would suggest getting the HM-650 with the Minibox card.

Can anyone tell the sound signature comparison between HiFiMAN HM-650 vs HiFiMAN HM-802 ?
They are both have Dual-Wolfson WM8740 DACs.
I'm interested to know about their detail, separation, soundstage.

Jul 12, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #303 of 493
Has anyone compared this to the AK jr? both are similar in price but which one sounds "better" i know its all in the eye of the beholder but is there a night and day difference? I have the money for one of them but now im not sure which one to get as they both have there issues.

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #305 of 493
  Can anyone tell the sound signature comparison between HiFiMAN HM-650 vs HiFiMAN HM-802 ?
They are both have Dual-Wolfson WM8740 DACs.
I'm interested to know about their detail, separation, soundstage.

I've heard both. Whilst they both share the same hardware, the sound tuned differently.
HM802 sound is more toward HM901 series.. which is leaning to neutral side

HM650 on the other hand leaning towards HM801 series which is more musical.

Jul 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #306 of 493
anyone coud help me?

Where to download firmware update for hm650?
Searching all over the place on hifiman.com and hifiman.cn but couldn't find any..

I very much doubt that there will ever be any. So forget about gapless and cover art...

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #307 of 493
I believe you'll find previous posts stating that we have contacted hifiman customer services regarding software bugs and no positive feedback was given.

I think it is time to head to their fb page :)

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #308 of 493
I very much doubt that there will ever be any. So forget about gapless and cover art...

Sept. 3rd will be 1 year since the 2.001 FW update. Given that 2.001 is fraught with bugs, I'm in agreement that we may never see anything further. Previously, HiFiMAN at least had a few updates a year, this time, nothing. They are definitely hardware wizards but software, not so much!

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #309 of 493
Guys,

I posted on Hifiman's FB and they sent me an email with a beta firmware a few hours after. I was told not to share it until they release it.
I am now telling you this as I have been trying to load the FW for more than one week, and they now talk about two different player versions, sending the player back to them, etc...

Please go to their FB and like my post if you have read it (unable to access it here at work).

Anyway, a new firmware seems to be coming, but I cannot understand why I am unable to load it. Today I asked for the very same firmware the player already has, because I want to prove that it is the firmware file that is corrupt. As of now I always get a "Update file not found" message.

I would prefer not to share the link with you, as you may void warranty if anything happens. If anyone thinks different, we can discuss it via PM...

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #311 of 493
  Guys,

I posted on Hifiman's FB and they sent me an email with a beta firmware a few hours after. I was told not to share it until they release it.
I am now telling you this as I have been trying to load the FW for more than one week, and they now talk about two different player versions, sending the player back to them, etc...

Please go to their FB and like my post if you have read it (unable to access it here at work).

Anyway, a new firmware seems to be coming, but I cannot understand why I am unable to load it. Today I asked for the very same firmware the player already has, because I want to prove that it is the firmware file that is corrupt. As of now I always get a "Update file not found" message.

I would prefer not to share the link with you, as you may void warranty if anything happens. If anyone thinks different, we can discuss it via PM...

What was the version of the beta FW that HiFiMAN sent you. I believe on the 901S thread, the shipping version was 2.003 but from what I recall, there really wasn't much improvement from 2.001.

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #312 of 493

What was the version of the beta FW that HiFiMAN sent you. I believe on the 901S thread, the shipping version was 2.003 but from what I recall, there really wasn't much improvement from 2.001.

I have now decided to rename the firmware file to "update.zip" (customer service had told me not to rename the file, but it seems they had named it wrong....) and it loaded!
It shows UI Version: 2.004.20150820 Beta

I just tested that an artist with multiple albums does not crash your player when scrolling through the albums. It also seems that there is a new menu for "Eject SD".

Do you guys want me to test specific scenarios?

Sep 2, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #313 of 493
  I have now decided to rename the firmware file to "update.zip" (customer service had told me not to rename the file, but it seems they had named it wrong....) and it loaded!
It shows UI Version: 2.004.20150820 Beta

I just tested that an artist with multiple albums does not crash your player when scrolling through the albums. It also seems that there is a new menu for "Eject SD".

Do you guys want me to test specific scenarios?

What about gapless? If you have the time, go to page 19 in this thread and under my ID, I submitted a list of problems to HiFiMAN. See if any of those issues still exists. Thanks

Sep 2, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #315 of 493
I'll try and keep this updated.

Quote:
  For anyone questioning the quirks of their HM-650, maybe the reply to the questions I asked HiFiMAN customer service, will help you out. BTW, I can't say enough good things about HiFiMAN's service rep in China.

Please find some feedback from our engineer:
1. The Gain and HD - Vintage switch don’t seem to do anything when using the Standard Card.
More gain means more power offered;
As per our engineer very few people could tell the difference between HD - Vintage.

2. I hear clicks (electrical not mechanical) when adjusting the volume control.
This is normal, because the potentiometer we used is marching type to provide better sounds. There are around 20 grades in volume control module, if you put the button between 2 grades, the noise will occur, you just need to adjust it slightly.

3. I hear clicks and pops when randomly choosing a track but not while playing consecutive tracks
.This is normal,  because the potentiometer we used is marching type to provide better sounds, some buffer will be released, the degree of cliks and pops depends on the content and size of the buffer.
 But for automatically playing of songs, this will not occur. 
4. Crash and reboot when scrolling using Artist > Albums and I get to the last Album folder in that directory. Instead of looping back to the first folder again, like when scrolling in other directory searches, it crashes and reboots. (i.e. Artist > Albums > scroll down to the last Album folder > Crash/reboot)
This one is  noted bug to us, that is under the same artist if you search albums, and albums are more than 3, it tends to crash and reboot. We will improve on this aspect for future design.
[miguelpp] this seems to be solved

5. All numeric album names aren’t displayed in Album view. Ex. Adele's albums 19 or  21.
Please update Media Database
[miguelpp] can test later, need to copy these 2 albums to the card

6. Wav files metadata isn’t displayed, just the file name.
Yes, HM650 does not support Wav files metadata.
[miguelpp] I have metadata under AIFF files. they did not say they would solve it, but I can test it. I believe there is no standard for AIFF/WAV metadata tags, so it may not be a bug

7. Arbitrary displaying of Album Artwork. Some are displayed and some not. All files display properly on my MacBook Pro using Audirvana, on my Astell and Kern AK240 and my iBasso DX90.

Please update Media Database
[miguelpp] will test better while testing the others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back