1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMAN HM650 Portable Music Player Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by pekingduck, May 30, 2014.
First

Back
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
  1. howdy
    I'm aware of the different DACs Sabre vs. Wolfson. I'm more partial to the Sabre DACs but more importantly the Amp cards in there play a big role. What card do you have in yours? When I had the 901 I was using the Balanced card.
    I also want to thank you for all your input!

2. CJG888
    I find the 650 to sound good with the Minibox amp card. I really didn’t like the standard card (harsh and congested, IMHO).

3. gravicap
    what is difference between 802 and 802s in sound/internals? I compared my 802 to 802u and did not find noticable difference in sound.
    How did you replace 8740 with 8741? I suppose it wasn't just dac chips swap or was it?

4. erictioh
    thanks for allowing me to share
    i have the following cards
    power card: harsh and muddy and could be better so i always have it feeding my drawer :xf_mad:
    yellow discrete card: good card (in term of analog sound sig and sweet sounding) compared to non modded minibox and always have enough power to drive big can. however just be careful it might be able to make your player catch fire coz its tooo hot

minibox red card: without mod i find this card lack of soundstage and a little too much emphasis on center vocal, i have modded it by replacing 2 pcs of opamp 627 ap into ss3601 philips opamp. it can now compete with discrete card but just still lacking some power.

howdy likes this.
  5. erictioh
    i have opened both to compare before, 802 and 802u basically running identical curcuit just casing is aluminum for the U.
    802s is another level of thing, the low pass filter circuit has revamped, it is not using any opamp you can find in market but it labeled just with hifiman logo (same as 901s).
    for 8741 upgrade, just desolder and solder with new 8741, no other mod is needed coz they are fully compatible. you will notice sound stage turns much bigger, overall sound became so much smoother with good siliblance control and i still prefer my moded 802s over my wm1z

gravicap likes this.
  6. fenrir35
    Guys do you think hm-650 with minibox gold amp card) is still an option to buy(used) in 2019? I'm mostly using iems not the big cans.

7. miguelpp
    Sound-wise I really hated the standard amp card. Haven't tried any other card since the software is the worst and less reliable piece of code ever, which is why my HM650 has been inside its box for the past 4 years.

fenrir35 likes this.
First

Back
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32