HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #948 of 3,445
which amp card would i need for my sennheiser ie 80's? or would stock amp be fine?

Stock amp is fine and it would sound very good, probably better than most dap except top ones like ak120..... Until you heard it with the IEM/minibox card, which sound better, and until you balanced them and run it with balanced amp you finally know what you are missing! Comparison is a bitch!! :evil:

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #949 of 3,445
Quote:
Stock amp is fine and it would sound very good, probably better than most dap except top ones like ak120..... Until you heard it with the IEM/minibox card, which sound better, and until you balanced them and run it with balanced amp you finally know what you are missing! Comparison is a bitch!!
evil_smiley.gif

Actually when I was in a mini meet last week at Singapore, we get to listen to AK120 and HM901 together. Me and the AK120 owner both prefer HM901 with the stock amp over AK120. Not that the AK120 is bad at all. In fact it is much better than AK100 and all around good blend of audiophiles SQ with consumer friendly design. But ultimately if SQ is the only concern, we agree that HM901 will be the choice for both of us. But if it is limited to easiness of use and only for not-demanding headphone, AK120 is a better choice.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #950 of 3,445
Quote:
well guys, took one for the team and thought I'd try a 256gb card with the 901... While readable, the 901 goes into a (seemingly endless) cycle of reboots. The card I used was a 600x Lexar 256gb formatted in Fat32. I was able to play a few songs before a reboot occurred (after waiting to see if the card would ever finish getting indexed).

I guess my dream of having my entire collection on the go is a dream deferred :\

My HM-901 will arrive tomorrow and I have the same SD card, currently loading it with music.  I'll report back tomorrow evening, hopefully with better results.

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #951 of 3,445
Talking about SD card - I have the Sandisk 64GB SDXC TF card (in ExFAT) for my HM901. During the meet, I swapped it out for another person's exact same model (which I assume is formatted to FAT32) and it caused the reboot problem. Swapped it back and no problem at all. I am not really sure whether it is FAT32 vs ExFAT or maybe some files that he has in his TF card that caused the problem. There are report that sometime certain files can cause reboot.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #952 of 3,445
Talking about SD card - I have the Sandisk 64GB SDXC TF card (in ExFAT) for my HM901. During the meet, I swapped it out for another person's exact same model (which I assume is formatted to FAT32) and it caused the reboot problem. Swapped it back and no problem at all. I am not really sure whether it is FAT32 vs ExFAT or maybe some files that he has in his TF card that caused the problem. There are report that sometime certain files can cause reboot.

I think hot swapping with music playing or paused caused that. I ran into it trying to a/b a few SD cards. If music is stopped (as in it finished playing all songs in the folder) hotswapping is fine.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #953 of 3,445
Actually when I was in a mini meet last week at Singapore, we get to listen to AK120 and HM901 together. Me and the AK120 owner both prefer HM901 with the stock amp over AK120. Not that the AK120 is bad at all. In fact it is much better than AK100 and all around good blend of audiophiles SQ with consumer friendly design. But ultimately if SQ is the only concern, we agree that HM901 will be the choice for both of us. But if it is limited to easiness of use and only for not-demanding headphone, AK120 is a better choice.

Yes... that's why I said "maybe" as the difference either way are not as stark as with the other amp board. But yes it does sound good even with stock amp.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #954 of 3,445
kkcc owns both so that his opinion and this is yours. So "actually" is the right term.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #955 of 3,445
Quote:
I think hot swapping with music playing or paused caused that. I ran into it trying to a/b a few SD cards. If music is stopped (as in it finished playing all songs in the folder) hotswapping is fine.

Definitely not hotswapping issue that day though, as I tried both hotswap and coldstart a few times and his card always end up causing rebooting. I hotswapped another personal SD (16GB SDHC, I think) that day as well without any problem. Unfortunately it is a short meet so we didn't have the time to find out what is the root of the problem. I general won't do hotswap just to be on the safe side, but it was a short meet that day and I just don't want to keep restarting HM901 (as you have known, it takes a while to start-up). Interesting bit is that both are the same model so it is more likely to be either formatting or file problem rather than card compatibility.

Aug 10, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #956 of 3,445
From your description it could be either because the DAP has problems with files on the card or that the SDXC card is formatted to FAT32 instead of the "correct" format (exFAT). Or could there be other reasons?

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #958 of 3,445
Stock amp is fine and it would sound very good, probably better than most dap except top ones like ak120..... Until you heard it with the IEM/minibox card, which sound better, and until you balanced them and run it with balanced amp you finally know what you are missing! Comparison is a bitch!! :evil:

Excellent!, time to go shopping then, deleting my browsing history, the mrs would not be too pleased :D

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #959 of 3,445
Where do we get the DIY amp? Is it better than the balanced amp run single ended?

Aug 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #960 of 3,445
I am afraid the DIY amp is Do It Yourself only ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back