HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Jul 27, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #316 of 480
I have reformatted my Kingston 32GB Class 6 via my Nikon D5000's built-in utility and tried it again.  Same result. On my Mac, music plays just fine from the card.  Plug it into the HM-801 and it doesn't even recognize it.  So it's even worse than the Patriot.  That at least works, if jiggled.  Looks like Class 6 is a no-no?  Theoretically, that's the only difference between what Miguel is using and mine.

???

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #317 of 480
Is there anyone else here who would like to see playlist support?

I'd like to have the ability to read a simple .m3u playlist created on the computer, similar to how the .cue lists work.

I already have my music organised in playlists on my computer and it's becoming painful replicating this order on the 801

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #319 of 480
X3 for playlist.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #320 of 480
Hi Guys,

Any idea if the Hifiman can be charged when completely power off?

I tried to charge it but the set does not seem to be charging, and the body does not feel "warm" like when you are charging any electronics products.

When I "ON" the hifiman to charge but not playing any music, the battery status shows charging... but the body of the Hifiman gets very hot after sometimes... and after more than 4 hours of charging, the battery icon is still showing status of charging.

How long do you charge your Hifiman to full power and is there a clear indicator for the full power so that I can uplug the charger?

Thanks.

Mark

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #321 of 480

Quote:
Any idea if the Hifiman can be charged when completely power off?

I tried to charge it but the set does not seem to be charging, and the body does not feel "warm" like when you are charging any electronics products.

When it is "on" (charging or not) the HM801 is always a bit warm but I believe it's more because of the circuitry (DAC) than the battery.

The HM801 is charging when it is "off". During the charge process the power supply is getting much hotter.
I use to charge it power off, and I unplug it when the power supply become cooler (usualy after maybe 5 or 6 hours)

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #322 of 480
Thanks Gatz for your reply!

So it will take more than 5hours for it to be fully charged... no wonder I just can't seem to have my set charged fully as I tried to on it to check after 3-4 hours and switch off thinking that I might overcharge it.

Will try out the charging again later.

By the way, are you aware if the newest set are shipped with PCM1704U chip or PCM1704UK chip?

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #323 of 480

I think you can't overcharge it : The charging process automaticaly stop after a while (observation based on the power supply "heat").
That said, I'm not sure that the "charging" indicator when the HM801 is "on" is accurate (it may suggest you can charge forever, but after powering off&on, it come back to "fully charged")

About the DAC Fang said not so long ago in a other thread that all HM801 are still using UK chips.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #326 of 480
This is just getting ridiculous.  Fang, you need to start posting here with some information. There's a lot of threads with a lot of questions, not the least of which is the answer to your flagship product.

When are we getting a final firmware release?

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #327 of 480
Hope someone here can help me.  My new HM-801 (.19 Firmware) will not play AAC files.  FLAC, OGG, WMA, MP3 all work.  Just locks up when I hit play on a AAC: Onboard or SD.  Specs say it supports AAC; does it really?  Any help much appreciated.

Aug 15, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #329 of 480
Thanks for the response.  You are right, apple uses them as M4A files, but .AAC is actually ISO standardized version of MPEG-4 that Apple and others adopted. (See Wikipedia cite below.)  Apple calls them .M4A files, but they are the same as .AAC.  Media Monkey, Windows Media Player, Etc.can all play Apple.M4A files (even just renamed with a .AAC extension) since they are really ".AAC" files. 

FLAC is so superior and I'm moving there, but I have a lot of .AAC files that not part of my daily repertoire that I'd love to play on my oh--so-musical-Hifiman.  Just was wondering if anybody has tried a .AAC or renamed .M4A>.AAC and gotten it to play.  The specs on on the device says it plays .AAC.  Thanks for your help!!  (PS I believe AAC decoders are free so they can be included in any hardware.)

Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is a standardized, lossy compression and encoding scheme for digital audio. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at similar bit rates.[2]
AAC has been standardized by ISO and IEC, as part of the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 specifications.[3][4] The MPEG-2 standard contains several audio coding methods, including the MP3 coding scheme.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #330 of 480

Quote:
I have reformatted my Kingston 32GB Class 6 via my Nikon D5000's built-in utility and tried it again.  Same result. On my Mac, music plays just fine from the card.  Plug it into the HM-801 and it doesn't even recognize it.  So it's even worse than the Patriot.  That at least works, if jiggled.  Looks like Class 6 is a no-no?  Theoretically, that's the only difference between what Miguel is using and mine.

???

On a mac you need to re-partition it with MS DOS FAT and also choose "options", then select Master Boot Record.  The last part is important or it can't be read by the 801.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back