HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Jul 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #301 of 480

Quote:
I'll be darned, it was the stupid card.  Tested it with a newly formatted 4GB SanDisk and worked the way it was supposed to work.  I have now reformatted the old 16GB card and reloading the content, hoping it'll still after that.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Was the issue resolved with the old 16GB card after reformatting it? 

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #302 of 480
Just got my HM-801, and I'm loving the sound.  But one glaring problem is that it's too loud out of the headphone out for my JH16 IEMs.  It's hard to get the right low volume without some channel imbalance.  This is more of a problem in quiet environments, and I pretty much have to use the line-out to an amp with lower gain. 

Is this something that can be fixed in a firmware update?  Or do I have to buy the GAME amp module?

Also, a few other issues I've noted:

1.  When playing "Tracks" in random mode, it would be nice to be able to switch to listening to the album of a track that comes up (like on the Cowon S9).  If I switch the mode back to "order", it'll just play the next track on the SD card based on name, which isn't necessarily the next track on the album (e.g. if tracks from different albums are numbered the same way).

2.  On a related note, there should be a setting to start playing songs in Album or Artist mode, then switch to random shuffle through all songs on the SD card (not just by that artist or in that album).

3.  Would be nice to be able to delete songs on the player.

Finally, this thing gets really hot when in USB DAC or USB data exchange mode, or even just listening out of the headphone out.  Seems it stays cooler when I use the line-out to an external amp.  Overall, it seems like a fantastic player, and I can't understand why so many people are writing it off in the Science thread without having even heard it.  Compared to the Clip+, it's in another universe in terms of sound quality, but obviously in a different price universe as well.  I plan to post a review eventually, but for now it suffices to say that I'm very pleased with my purchase.

I just hope Fang and HiFiMAN stay committed to improving the firmware and providing improved amp modules at reasonable prices.  If so, they'll have a loyal customer.

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #303 of 480
I'm assuming you have the older generation standard OPA627 GanQi module installed, which was set to a higher gain settings than it is suitable for your sensitive JH16 Pros.  Did you buy the HM-801 used?  The newer release of the amp module has been retuned to accommodate IEMs, such as the JH16s.  On my unit, I barely experience the channel imbalance you refer to  and at very, very low volume settings, not a concern at all at normal listening volumes.

Although I do not have my GAME module yet, my understanding is that specific module would solve this issue because it's been developed for IEMs.

If you've bought it new, you should contact Nankai to have the module swapped out under warranty.  It is on the HifiMan website that the new standard amp module is now suitable for IEMs, so the GAME module should be optional.

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #304 of 480

Quote:
Was the issue resolved with the old 16GB card after reformatting it? 

Nope.  I need to get a different brand.  It seems Patriot Class 4 SDHC cards are not fully compatible with the HM-801 and will display this issue.  The SanDisk cards work fine, and I'm sure others are as well.  But I was cheap and wanted to save $20..
deadhorse.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #305 of 480

Quote:
...  Overall, it seems like a fantastic player, and I can't understand why so many people are writing it off in the Science thread without having even heard it

There could be lots of reasons.  But trust your ears is a thing that some people will never do because it's not considered scientific, LOL.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #306 of 480
If you read enough of the Science forum, you will understand why they write it off.  Personally i consider reading in that forum a waste of my time.  Compare their arguments to your own experience in listening and you will have your answer.
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #307 of 480

Quote:
I'm assuming you have the older generation standard OPA627 GanQi module installed, which was set to a higher gain settings than it is suitable for your sensitive JH16 Pros.  Did you buy the HM-801 used?

I bought it new last week from Headroom, the firmware indicated it was updated in March.  The Head-Direct website says that all HM-801 are now tuned for low gain, but I'm not sure if my unit was.  There is serious channel imbalance from the headphone out at any volume level that I would want to listen to in a quiet environment.  I'm hoping I won't have to buy a new amp module to fix this problem, especially since others seem to be using JH13/16 just fine with the HM-801. 

BTW, I'm using the TWag Protector cable with a 3.5mm adapter, I'm not sure if this is increasing the sensitivity.  But I'm hoping there is some fix for this?  I'm sure it'll sound great once I get my LA2000 (higher impedance) cans, but for now it seems I have to use my Protector with my JH16s.

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #308 of 480
I'm also noticing a high ringing sound when the player is angled in certain ways, although I can't always replicate this sound.  I thought at first that this was my ears ringing, but pausing the player makes this sound stop.  Also, I noticed that I was picking up static and even radio frequencies when I walked through very populated parts of New York City (like a park).  This happened listening from the headphone out with my JH16s.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #309 of 480

Quote:
I'm also noticing a high ringing sound when the player is angled in certain ways, although I can't always replicate this sound.  I thought at first that this was my ears ringing, but pausing the player makes this sound stop.  Also, I noticed that I was picking up static and even radio frequencies when I walked through very populated parts of New York City (like a park).  This happened listening from the headphone out with my JH16s.

That itself is also proof of the higher than normal gain setting that seems to be the issue with your opamp.  As I noted in my review, the lack of RF-interference with the (revised) stock opamp was one of the important benefits of the HifiMAN instead of using a separate DAP/AMP combo with a LOD that can act as an external antenna amplifying these types of signals.  My HifiMAN is nearly impervious to RFI.

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #310 of 480

Quote:
I bought it new last week from Headroom, the firmware indicated it was updated in March.  The Head-Direct website says that all HM-801 are now tuned for low gain, but I'm not sure if my unit was.  There is serious channel imbalance from the headphone out at any volume level that I would want to listen to in a quiet environment.  I'm hoping I won't have to buy a new amp module to fix this problem, especially since others seem to be using JH13/16 just fine with the HM-801. 

BTW, I'm using the TWag Protector cable with a 3.5mm adapter, I'm not sure if this is increasing the sensitivity.  But I'm hoping there is some fix for this?  I'm sure it'll sound great once I get my LA2000 (higher impedance) cans, but for now it seems I have to use my Protector with my JH16s.

If you bought it last week it should still be under warranty and it seems you have a defective opamp.  Request to have a replacement sent to you that works to specs.

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #311 of 480
Hello,

I currently use Sandisk Class 4 32gb SHDC card (formatted). Firmware is 0.19 and date is 2010-05-24. It was replaced a week ago because it did not produce any sound. The problem I have now is that it gives me "No Files!" error msg whenever I try to enter my SDcard. It will work however, after connecting the data usb cable to a computer and unplugging them. After it says "updating HM801 Media", it works fine. However, it will only work until I restart HM801. If I were to turn power off and on again, same problem. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks~

Rk

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #312 of 480
I ran into the same problem with a 16GB Class 4 Patriot.  Actually, ejecting and reinserting the card successfully forces an update, but it is lost every time the unit is powered off.  A 32 GB Class 6 Kingston card behaves the same way.

A 4GB SanDisk Class 4 I have tested did not exhibit this behavior.

BTW, how did you format your SDHC card?  Using a computer?

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #315 of 480

Quote:
I ran into the same problem with a 16GB Class 4 Patriot.  Actually, ejecting and reinserting the card successfully forces an update, but it is lost every time the unit is powered off.  A 32 GB Class 6 Kingston card behaves the same way.

A 4GB SanDisk Class 4 I have tested did not exhibit this behavior.

BTW, how did you format your SDHC card?  Using a computer?

Yep I used a computer to format.
You are right, I found out that re-inserting the card makes it recognizable but lost every time I turn the power off. I guess KIngston Class 4 is the wtg :frowning2:

Thanks~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back