HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Aug 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #346 of 480

Quote:

I understand your frustration, but I've used a class 4 Kingston and haven't had any of those problems.  I can see why there's a backlash against this product, given its ambitious claims and the high price tag, but after the (mostly) free amp upgrade, I'm happy.  The gain could still be lower for my JH16s, and I would prefer digital volume control.  I'd also like navigation by folder, like on the Cowon S9 and Clip+.

But in terms of pure sound quality, I can't see how any other portable can compare.  You may argue diminishing returns and lack of value, but in absolute terms, I haven't heard any portable setup that sounds better.

As warp08 said, the sticker on mine is sort of faded so I'm about 100% sure it's a fake. It doesn't change that navigation is a pain while being relatively slow and unresponsive, no playlists and button layout is quirky if you ask me. It's just imho, but it feels cheap, especially for $800. The box it comes in screams quality more than the player itself... I have no issue with the amplifier unit even with my 37.5ohm iM716's. I see no reason to upgrade. Does it sound good? Darn right. Better than the H120/D10 combo I had for a few weeks. That said, my H320->PPAS gives both the H120/D10 and HM-801 a darn good run for their money. Resolution is close between all three get-ups, but as you climb the ladder instrument separation and sound stage in general takes a few big leaps and the noise floor disappears. Diminishing returns indeed, but I wasn't going to go there. All that said I'm very happy with the sound it produces. Rockbox this thing and I'll shut up. :p

Quote:
Same thing happened to me at Can Fest two weeks ago.  Fang was standing right there when I tested it because I complained about the same problem.  It's not the player, your card is a fake.  I have bought it off of Ebay, too, and got the seller to refund most of my money.  Now I have another on the way for $80 sold directly by Amazon.com (not a seller).  One way you can tell is that sticker on the fakes is dimmer, the colors are not as vivid as on the original ones.

Fang has promised he would try to find a factory direct source in China and make those available to us at reasonable cost.  Not sure if he'll succeed, but I'm sure he will try.

Thanks man. I'll have to check the eBay listing to see if I can return it. I think I remember reading all sales were final so I might be hosed. Do you remember reaching the end of a folder and hearing like dial-up communication? Lol. I got to the end of Sex Without Bodies (the only album in my on board flash memory) and it sounded like AOL was trying to connect to my HifiMan before jumping back to the main menu! Odd.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #347 of 480
I haven't been able to charge my replacement HM-801 player using the DC charger.  I've tried several different outlets, but it doesn't get warm and the power meter doesn't go up.  It powers down right after I turn it on.

Anyone else having this problem, or do I just have a defective unit?  Is there some way to remove the case and get to the battery?

Aug 24, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #348 of 480
Ok, I removed the battery and it worked fine playing off the DC charger.  Then I put the battery back in, and it seems to be charging now.  If anyone has finds that their battery isn't charging, this might be worth a try.

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #350 of 480
I'll pay some one to Rockbox this thing. Who's with me/thinks this could work? Let's pool some money together and post a thread in the Rockbox request forum, or something. Hell I'd throw down $40 just myself. This could add up quick with just a few generous members and so many people could benefit. Just throwing the idea out there.

Not that this has anything to do with the debugging thread, but to anyone who's opened this thing up: Do you think it'd be possible to expand the in-built flash memory? Somehow work a couple 32GB SD's in there or something. That'd be sick to have 64 gigs + the SD slot, but that's sort of redundant to say.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #352 of 480
If someone can rockbox this, I am willing to contribute as well.

Hopefully someone real good with rockbox can help us perfect our Hifiman!

Cheers,
Mark

Quote:
I'll pay some one to Rockbox this thing. Who's with me/thinks this could work? Let's pool some money together and post a thread in the Rockbox request forum, or something. Hell I'd throw down $40 just myself. This could add up quick with just a few generous members and so many people could benefit. Just throwing the idea out there.

Not that this has anything to do with the debugging thread, but to anyone who's opened this thing up: Do you think it'd be possible to expand the in-built flash memory? Somehow work a couple 32GB SD's in there or something. That'd be sick to have 64 gigs + the SD slot, but that's sort of redundant to say.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #353 of 480

Quote:
If someone can rockbox this, I am willing to contribute as well.

Hopefully someone real good with rockbox can help us perfect our Hifiman!

Cheers,
Mark

I'd appreciate if you guys responded to the open source firmware thread which has exactly this goal.  It would be better if Fang supported the effort than trying to circumvent him.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #354 of 480
Guys, I've been wondering. When has been the last update of FW for HM-801? Hasn't it been, well... dropped? I'm seriously interested in it, but I'm afraid of getting unstable/buggy FW in that expensive thing. I'd rather go with iMod in this case...

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #356 of 480

Quote:
Guys, I've been wondering. When has been the last update of FW for HM-801? Hasn't it been, well... dropped? I'm seriously interested in it, but I'm afraid of getting unstable/buggy FW in that expensive thing. I'd rather go with iMod in this case...

0.19B works fine for the most part.  Its still sparse with respect to features but its very stable on my end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back