HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Apr 1, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #181 of 480
Have tried a few RockBoxed players and they all worked really well and the layout seemed to be well designed. It might just be that implementing RockBox is the easiest way to get over the initial firmware related bugs that the HM-801 suffers from at the moment.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #183 of 480
I would like to voice my support for a Rockbox'd HiFiMan; it is an amazingly-sounding music player and support for Rockbox would greatly enhance the overall experience.

New codecs, such as Apple Lossless and Wavpack, would be supported; gapless playback, along with crossfading too.

Also, I imagine that the exposure through rockbox.org will also help sales. One thing is for sure : it deserves as much publicity as possible. Thank you Fang !

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #184 of 480
I guess all I want is gapless playback as of right now and the easiest way would be to simply use rockbox. It already has all the features one would need and is well out of beta...

Just a question: Wikipedia states that lossless codes do not have any problems with gaps in between songs, so does that mean that flac files will be automatically gapless on the Hifiman?

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #185 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please release the firmware source code (or better yet, create a shared SVN), some of us are professional coders and would be glad to contribute some time to fixing the bugs and making improvements.
wink.gif

x4 . . . Please.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #186 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galatian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess all I want is gapless playback as of right now and the easiest way would be to simply use rockbox. It already has all the features one would need and is well out of beta...

Just a question: Wikipedia states that lossless codes do not have any problems with gaps in between songs, so does that mean that flac files will be automatically gapless on the Hifiman?

If you use a single flac with a cue file then indeed hifiman plays gapless. The only small issue is that for me at least skipping between songs in the cue file sometimes starts a little before or after where it should.

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #189 of 480
Quote:

Not to take this off course, but I really can't imagine how gapless playback is SUCH a big deal.

I suppose you never listened to any Album where songs would blend into each other...It can be quite annoying if you listen to the first song and at the end of it you would already have the intro for the next song, but then you have a like a 1 - 2 sec gap in between. If you have the chance try Parabol / Parabola from Tool's Album Lateralus. That was actually the first time when I was so extremely pissed about not having gapless playback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyAL73
If you use a single flac with a cue file then indeed hifiman plays gapless. The only small issue is that for me at least skipping between songs in the cue file sometimes starts a little before or after where it should.

This is what wikipedia has to say about gapless playback and lossless audio codecs:

Quote:

Since lossless data compression excludes the possibility of the introduction of padding, all lossless audio file formats are inherently gapless.

Maybe you should read the entire article on wikipedia.org as I am not an expert on those matters, but it sounds like gaps are a problem only of lossy audio codecs due to their data structure and hence lossless formats like FLAC do not suffer from gaps during playback.

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #190 of 480
FLAC tracks that should be played gapless on the 801 do have a small but noticeable gap. AFAIK lossless formats still have to be coded for gapless but it's much easier than other formats?

Another example where gapless is a big deal are DJ mixes where each track is mixed into the next.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #191 of 480
Quote:

Not to take this off course, but I really can't imagine how gapless playback is SUCH a big deal.

I would imagine with enough problem solvers being able to see the code, it wouldn't be.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #195 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are still working on the firmware. It is a little slow, but we are keep working. Question: is it legal to sell HM-801 with rockbox?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I am the designer of UI, and I never use rockbox before.

Besides a different user interface, I always thought the reason to use Rockbox on the iRiver H1XX and the iPod was so you could play .flac files on a unit that doesn't initially play flac files. The 801 already does this, so why would anyone want to Rockbox a HM-801?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back