HIFIMAN HM-601 Music Player, RE0 IEM and Grammy Award Winners
Apr 23, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #47 of 89
Well, I hope that the Celebs are not just a johnny Come Lately looking for a little publicity. If that is not the case, and they are serious about being heafiers and audiophiles; than maybe I can live with it. I am totally against the Hollywoodifying of our great club. I guess I will look forward to seeing their further association with us and if they don't really continue, then the truth will be the truth.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #48 of 89
we geeks ain't cool on our own? do we have to go to hollywood?
wink.gif

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #49 of 89

Quote:
None of these celebs are on Headfi or have anything to do with hifiman. They just stoped by a booth to get FREE stuff and got their photo taken for it.

+

Quote:
Well, I hope that the Celebs are not just a johnny Come Lately looking for a little publicity. If that is not the case, and they are serious about being heafiers and audiophiles; than maybe I can live with it. I am totally against the Hollywoodifying of our great club. I guess I will look forward to seeing their further association with us and if they don't really continue, then the truth will be the truth.

I've been told I'm cynical for a 20yo.

But prove to me that one of these celebs does not have an iPod. I just don't buy into it. It is so obviously setup. It'd be amazing if they did have them and this helped get publicity out there for hifiman. But i just din't buy it.

Edit: but kudos on hifiman getting these guys to promote! Would love to see/hear more of hifiman in Aus!

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #50 of 89
Whats the point of this??  I want a good DAP, not something I would see on the tabloids.

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #52 of 89
Scott, from what I can tell, the celebrities aren't looking for more a little more publicity from this--the level of publicity from all the audiophiles in the world would probably have little effect on the level of celebrity of at least a couple of the people in the photos above.  (I don't know who some of those people are.)

I don't think anyone's trying to convince anyone that these celebrities are endorsing HiFiMAN.  Like it or not, celebrities draw attention, and this was, from what I can tell, a publicity and marketing initiative.  Right now, it's obviously fair to say HiFiMAN is very much a boutique brand, but I know Fang would like to bring good sound to as many people as he can reasonably reach, which probably motivated, to some degree, HiFiMAN's presence at the Grammys.

Fang is passionate about audio.  I visited him in New York late last year, and you wouldn't believe where he lived--it was like a laboratory of audio experimentation and prototyping. He had some cool (and some wild) prototypes and test pieces he was working with--everywhere.  He showed me some of the prototypes that led to models he's now manufacturing and selling.  He also had some loudspeakers (I think it was a vintage pair of B&W's) so large they dominated the small room they were in.  The passion that leads to him literally surrounding himself with audio--and constantly building and testing, and re-building and re-testing--is something, on some level, I know he wants to spread to as many people as he reasonably can.

One of the ways to spread the word is through publicity and marketing.  Some of the most respected brands (and I'm talking about brands respected in this community) spend a great deal of time and money on publicity and marketing initiatives.

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #53 of 89
A company(Hifiman) pays to set up a booth at a celebrity event(The Grammys). Celebs stop by to get free product, and in exchange the company gets to take pictures of them using said product. This celebs probably have never used the product and know nothing about the product, they just are out to get something for free.

Quote:
None of these celebs are on Headfi or have anything to do with hifiman. They just stopped by a booth to get FREE stuff and got their photo taken for it.

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #55 of 89
On a slightly paralel note, I can't help but think how unfair it is that these already rich people, who couldn't care less that they're holding one of the best DAPs in the world, get one for free, while most of us will probably never own one and would be immensely more satisfied than they were by having it.

There's really nothing you can do, no one will give you a free HM-801 just because you really like audio, I know. But that doesn't make it more unfair in my head.

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #56 of 89

Quote:
Scott, from what I can tell, the celebrities aren't looking for more a little more publicity from this--the level of publicity from all the audiophiles in the world would probably have little effect on the level of celebrity of at least a couple of the people in the photos above.  (I don't know who some of those people are.)

Well there you go. If they are looking for publicity it worked in my case. I didn't know who most of these people were before I read this, including Shannon Elizabeth. I've heard of Kenny G, Tim Duncan, and (kind of) Jordan Sparks, but Duncan is the only one I could remotely be called a fan of.

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #57 of 89

Quote:
On a slightly paralel note, I can't help but think how unfair it is that these already rich people, who couldn't care less that they're holding one of the best DAPs in the world, get one for free, while most of us will probably never own one and would be immensely more satisfied than they were by having it.

There's really nothing you can do, no one will give you a free HM-801 just because you really like audio, I know. But that doesn't make it more unfair in my head.

Sad truth it will probably be a gift for the gardener.   Money goes to money

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #58 of 89
This is exactly right. I met Shannon before at a booth for the Oscars, our team was working with a doctor and shooting the footage.
In her case, however, she is really nice and very into eclectic things ... so I wouldn't be surprised if she hadn't tried some audophile
stuff and appreciates good sound. No, she couldn't rattle off the sonic differences between the LCD-2 and the Stax-BCX200059 when
amped with 5 different combinations ... :p ... but few people can.

Don't be too hard on her,

Anthony

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #59 of 89

Quote:
Sad truth it will probably be a gift for the gardener.   Money goes to money

Why is that sad? My wife is a gardener and I know she'd greatly appreciate a gift like this. Probably more than these 'celeb's would. And, I guess that's your point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back