HiFiMan High-End Series Owners' Club (Enter with the Google Docs form!)
Apr 9, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #586 of 673
Thanks for the compliments my friend, coming from u means a lot to me, as i consider u one of the better modders of headphones here :wink: . love what u do with the hifiman headphones! Real craftmanship!

For ur info..when i get my Venom (its on order now) i will probably put this custom-made unique cable on sale then, but only after a proper comparison/review between the two ofcourse!:beerchug:

Ps..i already have the adapter cable from single ended to dual XLR (with same wire as on the headphone cable) on sale now, that i bought with this above cable, as i dont have a single ended amp anymore :D

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #587 of 673
Bump. Need more members! Invite people and make sure to use the link in your sig!

Apr 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #589 of 673
Yeah ill be working to collect reviews and such for the op :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #590 of 673
I'm wondering if anyone had the chance to compare HE-500's to MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs - I really like the sound of the HE-500's but it's hard for me to find a quiet place to listen so I'm looking for something similar but closed back. Opinions/suggestions?

Thanks!

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #591 of 673
Apr 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #592 of 673
  I'm wondering if anyone had the chance to compare HE-500's to MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs - I really like the sound of the HE-500's but it's hard for me to find a quiet place to listen so I'm looking for something similar but closed back. Opinions/suggestions?

Thanks!

I own the HE-500 (x2 and the HE-6) and had the opportunity to listen to the Alpha Dogs for a while at the Austin Head-Fi meet early this year.

The AD's are certainly in the same general neighborhood as the 500.  You have to factor in that they are closed vs. the open 500, but the AD's are surprisingly good.  They would be a good good closed can choice for someone who likes the HE-500.  While the HE-500 is clearly better is almost all ways, the AD's do amazing things--especially considering they are a mod of a very modestly priced Fostex planar.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #593 of 673

I own the HE-500 (x2 and the HE-6) and had the opportunity to listen to the Alpha Dogs for a while at the Austin Head-Fi meet early this year.

The AD's are certainly in the same general neighborhood as the 500.  You have to factor in that they are closed vs. the open 500, but the AD's are surprisingly good.  They would be a good good closed can choice for someone who likes the HE-500.  While the HE-500 is clearly better is almost all ways, the AD's do amazing things--especially considering they are a mod of a very modestly priced Fostex planar.

Thanks for your thoughts! I don't mean to derail the thread, but do you have any suggestions for closed cans that are similar to the HE-500's and cost less than ~$700? I haven't had a chance to go to a meet yet so I'm not exactly sure what's out there.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #594 of 673
Thanks for your thoughts! I don't mean to derail the thread, but do you have any suggestions for closed cans that are similar to the HE-500's and cost less than ~$700? I haven't had a chance to go to a meet yet so I'm not exactly sure what's out there.

Referencesounds Paradox? They made my unique sounding code-x also :wink:

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #595 of 673
Referencesounds Paradox? They made my unique sounding code-x also
wink.gif

Thanks, I'll look into them!

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #596 of 673

The Alpha Dogs are the closest that I have heard in that price range.  The HE-500, even at its pre-closeout pricing is such an excellent can for the money--and a planar to boot-- that there are few good answers to your question.  Even a few years ago when you could get the D7000 for a good price that fell at the top of your budget, that was a great can but it's sound signature is not close to the HE-500.  The 7000 is much more colored.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_AHD7000

Pretty much the same thing for the Fostex TH-600, which is the lower end of the next generation.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #597 of 673

The ZMF sounds like the HE-500. The modder, Zach , designed them to replicate the sound of the HE-500. They are amazing for the price.

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #598 of 673

The ZMF sounds like the HE-500. The modder, Zach , designed them to replicate the sound of the HE-500. They are amazing for the price.

Are these (the non-woodies anyway) semi-open like the Fostex from which they are derived?  They appear to be.  The woodies look like they are either semi-open or vented.

See:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/RP-Series.shtml

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #599 of 673

Are these (the non-woodies anyway) semi-open like the Fostex from which they are derived?  They appear to be.  The woodies look like they are either semi-open or vented.

See:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/RP-Series.shtml

I have the V2(not sure if they are sealed), but they isolate very well.  I am not saying they are pound for pound as good as the HE-500, but they have the same sound signature to my ears and actually do some things a bit better to my liking. To my ears, they sound very much like a closed HE-500 whereas the MadDog tend to sound more like a closed LCD-2.

As far as his Vibro labs model, I think they have a bass port that you can add dowels to customize the bass response.

Apr 20, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #600 of 673
i have a bushmaster Dac/ amp with an optical usb converter Hifimediy + isolator to my pc...i am the owner of a Ember project.... I am very happy with my He 400..... I think the global synergy is very good.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back