Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. . - Page 894

post #13396 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobbing View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

The shure you mention is very week judging from specs (30 mW into 8 ohms, 20 into 63 ohms before clipping). Has also got an output impedance at around 10 ohms.

I can assure you.... IT IS NOT 😈

I bet it will even drive a HE-6 with ease or even my STAX Sigma Pros if that would technically be possible!

Someone willing to buy a FP-22 and prove me wrong?

That makes no sense. We are talking a battery powered device here. Well, perhaps it's a hidden treasure, who knows.


Edited by davidsh - 4/17/14 at 3:49am
post #13397 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

That makes no sense. We are talking a battery powered device here. Well, perhaps it's a hidden treasure, who knows.

It really is..... However I use the original power supply, but batteries work as well, it will deafen you, just check the reviews. The fp22 is studio gear, versatile and is built like a tank. I believe it is still for sale on ebay, you can find out for only $50 wink.gif
I don't know how to convince you otherwise, but this little box is a beast!
post #13398 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

That makes no sense. We are talking a battery powered device here......

BTW have you ever tried the STAX SRD-X (Pro)? Battery powered too and it blows your eardrum's using electrostatics 😈
post #13399 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPoor View Post
 

A re-cable has really been awesome for my HE-500 and I don't mean sonically. I hated the stock cable (and still do) so I went with a Norne Audio (formerly Norse Audio) OCC cable/sleeved. Awesome. I'm the type of person to pay for aesthetics, so for me, it was well worth it. YMMV...


^^^THIS^^^

 

I also have a Norse cable, the original Norn. Sounds and looks great, very flexible.

 

:beerchug:

post #13400 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobbing View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

That makes no sense. We are talking a battery powered device here......

BTW have you ever tried the STAX SRD-X (Pro)? Battery powered too and it blows your eardrum's using electrostatics 😈

No, I have not. Camping with my srm-t1 tube amp, which can indeed deafen, I'd tend to think. I actaully once pushed it like past 2 o'clock with my sigma nb to push it's limits. Didn't quite get there, and I didn't dare go any further. I tend to think my ears would distort before the amp would.

 

But really, just about any decent amp will blow my eardrums so to speak. Isn't really a way to judge amps imo. I mean, even my iphone drives my HE-500 more than loud enough.. Without hard clipping.

post #13401 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsh View Post

No, I have not. Camping with my srm-t1 tube amp, which can indeed deafen, I'd tend to think. I actaully once pushed it like past 2 o'clock with my sigma nb to push it's limits. Didn't quite get there, and I didn't dare go any further. I tend to think my ears would distort before the amp would.

But really, just about any decent amp will blow my eardrums so to speak. Isn't really a way to judge amps imo. I mean, even my iphone drives my HE-500 more than loud enough.. Without hard clipping.

Of course I agree volume isn't the way to judge an amp, I was only referring to the "that doesn't make sense, we are talking about a battery powered device" -issue. Volume on this device starts at 12 o' clock but I wouldn't even dare to push it to 3 o'clock. What's more important is that SQ is superb, no distortion, noises/dead silent and accurate. Drives my T1 's well too. So if someone would ask me for advice for a bang for the buck amp the FP-22 would be the one. I believe these used to sell at $400 but unfortunately were discontinued. The ones that are for sale usually are from music studios/musicians/roadies and have some serious wear and tear, and evidently that's not because they were sitting in a drawer due to bad quality 😉 No, this is a hidden treasure alright and can't recommend it enough
post #13402 of 16151

From the looks i really like the He-560 which is strange because of the Audeze i'm not so fond of how they look.


Edited by amigastar - 4/17/14 at 6:59am
post #13403 of 16151

I'm wondering if anyone had the chance to compare HE-500's to MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs - I really like the sound of the HE-500's but it's hard for me to find a quiet place to listen so I'm looking for something similar but closed back. Opinions/suggestions?

post #13404 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante020 View Post

I'm wondering if anyone had the chance to compare HE-500's to MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs - I really like the sound of the HE-500's but it's hard for me to find a quiet place to listen so I'm looking for something similar but closed back. Opinions/suggestions?
Imo the he-500 are better but if you want closed headphones, alpha dog is a good choice. And they are less warm.
post #13405 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiger View Post


Imo the he-500 are better but if you want closed headphones, alpha dog is a good choice. And they are less warm.

Thanks for the input. I suppose I could always try modding my own T50RP's...

post #13406 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante020 View Post

Thanks for the input. I suppose I could always try modding my own T50RP's...
Lol i think you have to buy a 3d printer.
Seriously, the AD are very good. I Am listening with them at the moment even at home because I sold my he-500 to preorder he-560 smily_headphones1.gif
I am not sad.
Edited by Rudiger - 4/17/14 at 12:46pm
post #13407 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiger View Post


Lol i think you have to buy a 3d printer.
Seriously, the AD are very good. I Am listening with them at the moment even at home because I sold my he-500 to preorder he-560 smily_headphones1.gif
I am not sad.

Well, there are a bunch of threads on modding T50RP's but I'm sure I'd never get them to the level of the AD's. They just seem a little expensive at $600 so I may have to wait around for a used pair to show up.

post #13408 of 16151
Yep with the threads of modding you may have Also good results. True that AD are expensive.
(Sorry i just Joking before)
Edited by Rudiger - 4/17/14 at 1:00pm
post #13409 of 16151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post
 

The HE500s can handle all that power, heck I've even turned up the volume to maximum (deafening volumes) on the speaker amp with no resistors and used it like a speaker. It handles that power with ease. Also 50w into 8ohms isn't the same as 50w into 32 ohms. Theres no issue so long as you're not using something like a 200w amp. The noise is only an issue at deafening volumes and only for the mini-x, my Topping has hardly any noise floor.

 

Why doesn't everyone use speaker amps? Not knowing? fear? marketing? Sorry I don't know

 

 

 

That's pretty much what I said to preproman when I was first using the emo. I was amazed how much SQ i was getting. I think we came to a few conclusions.

 

1. Headphone amplifiers are more of a boutique item. Very limited supply, so vendors can charge a lot for what they make.

2. Most headphones really don't need a lot of power. Hooking up a Denon D2000 to an emotiva would have a high noise floor

3. Super easy to blow out drivers on a speaker amp.

4. Most important, the speaker amplifier market is really heavily saturated. There's just as much marketing garbage as in headphones, but in the end, there's a lot more competition to make a good amp at a cheap price.

post #13410 of 16151
Headphone amp are cool when you like to listen... headphones.
And at work i need a discret, invisible, thing.
But yes, at home my prefered amp for my hi-end headphones are my Nad amp. And the Vali because of fun.
Yes, if you have a good speaker amp it could be sufficient.
Edited by Rudiger - 4/17/14 at 1:49pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening. .