HiFiMan High-End Series Owners' Club (Enter with the Google Docs form!)
Apr 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #571 of 673
They're softer both in material and the foam. I'd say they're a good upgrade. They also come in black.
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT770VB-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B007VCKA64/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396685975&sr=8-2&keywords=beyerdynamic+pads+black

@phillyd,
Although u did a good job in starting this thread i think it has no benificial effect for me after all..

so pls..can u delete me from ur list?

I am wondering anyway what i do on this forum lately..as none of my products are talked about anywhere here on headfi.

So pls..take me off ur list.

Thanks and good luck my friend..

And a bit oftopic:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/713237/toxic-cables-black-widow-22awg-8wire-adaptercable-from-1-4-furutech-fp704-single-to-dual-3-pins-neutrik-xlr

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #572 of 673
Has anyone been able to pump enough power into the HE-500's to make them distort in any way?

I've had my Uberfrost/Lyr/HE-500 combo for a couple months, and dared not exceed 12 O'Clock on the Lyr POT while I was burning them in.  However, tonight I decided to push them.  I throttled up Nine Inch Nails "Head Like A Hole" to full volume on the Lyr (approximately 5:30 on the POT), and held my breath as the Lyr sent shockwave after shockwave of electronic punishment to my ears through the Matsush*ta replacement tubes.

And wouldn't you know it, the HE-500's still sounded amazing!  Completely clear in all aspects, although at an ear-bleeding volume.  Not a hint of distortion or discontent from the HE-500's whatsoever.  It was like they were saying "thank you sir, can I have another?"  It was pure happiness, even though I could only stand it for a minute or two before crying Uncle.

If that didn't complete my burn-in process, nothing will.  That's my story for today - my tinnitis thanks you for reading. :)

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #573 of 673
  Has anyone been able to pump enough power into the HE-500's to make them distort in any way?

I've had my Uberfrost/Lyr/HE-500 combo for a couple months, and dared not exceed 12 O'Clock on the Lyr POT while I was burning them in.  However, tonight I decided to push them.  I throttled up Nine Inch Nails "Head Like A Hole" to full volume on the Lyr (approximately 5:30 on the POT), and held my breath as the Lyr sent shockwave after shockwave of electronic punishment to my ears through the Matsush*ta replacement tubes.

And wouldn't you know it, the HE-500's still sounded amazing!  Completely clear in all aspects, although at an ear-bleeding volume.  Not a hint of distortion or discontent from the HE-500's whatsoever.  It was like they were saying "thank you sir, can I have another?"  It was pure happiness, even though I could only stand it for a minute or two before crying Uncle.

If that didn't complete my burn-in process, nothing will.  That's my story for today - my tinnitis thanks you for reading. :)

From my understanding, the louder you go, the less distortion you get from planar magnetics. The diaphragm will be able to move more authoritatively with more power and less restriction so better distortion numbers. It would be the amplifier distorting before the headphone itself.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #574 of 673
  From my understanding, the louder you go, the less distortion you get from planar magnetics. The diaphragm will be able to move more authoritatively with more power and less restriction so better distortion numbers. It would be the amplifier distorting before the headphone itself.

Yes, that's my understanding about planar magnetic headphones as well.  However, I would like to dispel the idea that planar magnetic phones distort at any sound level, because they don't.  What I've found is that they sound wonderful at low-to-normal volume, but they really find their sweet spot when you crank up the volume.

Wouldn't want people thinking that they have to pump up the volume to get the best out of the HE-500's.

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #575 of 673
Actually, I doubt they'll distort at all. I'd tend to think the driver will build up heat until the tracers burn/melt

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #576 of 673
Tracers? as in the conductive coating?

I was under the impression those were applied onto the diaphragm well above room temperature. Hence, thermal stability or build-up shouldn't be a problem.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #577 of 673
  Tracers? as in the conductive coating?

I was under the impression those were applied onto the diaphragm well above room temperature. Hence, thermal stability or build-up shouldn't be a problem.

They'll likely fail by melting the diaphragm material around them, sorry for the confusion, my mistake. This will likely weaken the diaphragm around the tracers, having it rip/melt itself apart in a combination of heat and mechanical force. Like this:

Apr 8, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #578 of 673
They're softer both in material and the foam. I'd say they're a good upgrade. They also come in black.
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT770VB-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B007VCKA64/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396685975&sr=8-2&keywords=beyerdynamic+pads+black

Yeap, sonically I noticed no differeance. But yea they feel much nicer! 

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #579 of 673
Yeap, sonically I noticed no differeance. But yea they feel much nicer! 

Only time I ever noticed a change in headphone sound due to the pads was on closed cans.

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #580 of 673
Shameless self-promotion post that may be of interest:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-proving-to-be-an-enjoyable-experience-in-listening/13275#post_10439873

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #582 of 673
  Can the new hifiman pads use with old cans?

People with the HE-560s say Yes.  No word on availability, but the HFM rep (Peter, I think) said they'll be priced not to bust your wallet.  TBD, I guess.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #584 of 673
If they're $50 or less I might get them for my HE-300. But they'd have to be really good.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #585 of 673
Add me

I think i have owned most of the hifiman models until now..being the he300/400 and he500 (with modulor pads and jerg opengrill mod) and now this modded HE5.. And i love their phones deeply!
Here some pics of my very limited Referencesounds Code-X HE-5 #15 Black Edition, a heavily modded limited edition version of the woody HE5 (by the same person who gave us the paradox) of which only 20 originals will be made worldwide..and my particular model is unique among those 20 original made code-x'es.. The wood has a unique black dye and is finished with real beewax (like in the old days)instead of regular wood oil...it looks like its made in the days when the english still were pirates on the high sees..i by a joke told him i wanted an old look..as if it was made a long time ago..and OMG..he just did that! hehehe
. I just got them in a couple of weeks ago..they are NOS.. Not used original HE5..they sound wonderfull! Am now waiting for my custommade amp to arrive to drive this black beauty.
And dont forget..orginally this headphone was a completely brown woody..now its a black woody....and as far i know its the only one in existence thats made by him orginally as new. Enjoy...as soon i have new pics of my amp i will include them..good idea starting a club for higher end hifiman phones
wink.gif

The headphone cable is a custommade balanced Toxic Cables BW 22awg 8wire cable with seperated sleeved cables for left and right channel..the amp will be a Custommade Blue Circle Audio headphoneamp specifically designed and built to drive a HE6..hope to receive it end of february.
tongue.gif

And some internal pics of my new custommade amp thats being built
PS: second (silver) case is the internals of external powersupply..

Loving the look of these cans. Cables looking great...balanced separate cables all the way to the MONSTER amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

I want to do that when I get monoblocks for new planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back