HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Aug 5, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #1,231 of 2,647
For fun, here's a few shots of the various grille options.

Stock:

eBay (hifigrillman_6502):

Arctic Cables:

My own 3d printed one (did a crap job printing, but it was a nice learning experience and I like how they look):

eBay ones are definitely the most open, just from a materials POV. Mine are least open. I honestly haven't listened critically to them back-to-back to see if there's any noticeable difference in the sound. At a certain point, I'm mostly just looking at aesthetics for the aftermarket grille options.
The ones from the ebay seller look very similar to some a member made and showed in this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he6-se.886229/post-17000690

I found a seller in California a while back but he doesn't ship outside the country. When I found the guy you mentioned on ebay just now, nothing is listed. This seems to happen a lot when they don't want to sell into a particular area, nothing shows up.

Anyway, nice set of grilles!

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #1,232 of 2,647
The ones from the ebay seller look very similar to some a member made and showed in this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he6-se.886229/post-17000690

I found a seller in California a while back but he doesn't ship outside the country. When I found the guy you mentioned on ebay just now, nothing is listed. This seems to happen a lot when they don't want to sell into a particular area, nothing shows up.

Anyway, nice set of grilles!
Only issue with any of these is the Arctic Cables ones are sliiiiiiiightly too small so they can shift about a MM up and down.

Aug 5, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #1,234 of 2,647

Attachments

• C6478CD9-964C-410E-AFCB-C8985DC6167D.jpeg
    C6478CD9-964C-410E-AFCB-C8985DC6167D.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 5, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,235 of 2,647
if u can score a zmf headband and all assembles, it works great and put one of the zmf co-pilot in there it's very comfortable

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #1,237 of 2,647
Only issue with any of these is the Arctic Cables ones are sliiiiiiiightly too small so they can shift about a MM up and down.
I have heard this from a couple different folks. I have a set of the eBay grills but I haven't tried them yet. I'm a freak I guess, so far I've been happy with everything stock except the cable.

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #1,238 of 2,647
Oops wrong thread..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220804-170258~2.png
    Screenshot_20220804-170258~2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #1,239 of 2,647
Gotta be careful during the summer man. Stuff like that can sneak up on you.

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #1,240 of 2,647
Starting off the weekend by digging out my HE6se V2's.
BF2 to iFi Pro iCAN and then via HAC to my V2's.
Now motoring through some "new" Donald Byrd. :L3000:

20220806_104813_HDR~2.jpg20220806_104931_HDR~2.jpg

Aug 6, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #1,241 of 2,647
Hi at @Shane D . Care to share some comparisons of HE6se and Elex please? Of course I expect tonal and soundstage differences. Im interested in bass qualities and resolution. I feel BP800 (HD800 drivers) presents soundstage in a way that possibly improves sense of image depth / resolution while HE500 kinda projects like a flatter wall of sound that’s less holographic. Both headphones have their plusses. I am sure its an electrodynamic vs planar thing. I am wondering why you have a 6se and Elex, how are they complimentary, and if you have similar experience in terms of soundstage and how that effects your sense of “realism”. Like, maybe electronic music doesnt really matter with staging, but listening to acoustic vocals and acoustic instruments might matter… Ive not a lot of experience but it was something I was pondering yesterday as I switched back and forth from HFM to Sennheiser.

Aug 6, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #1,242 of 2,647
Hi at @Shane D . Care to share some comparisons of HE6se and Elex please? Of course I expect tonal and soundstage differences. Im interested in bass qualities and resolution. I feel BP800 (HD800 drivers) presents soundstage in a way that possibly improves sense of image depth / resolution while HE500 kinda projects like a flatter wall of sound that’s less holographic. Both headphones have their plusses. I am sure its an electrodynamic vs planar thing. I am wondering why you have a 6se and Elex, how are they complimentary, and if you have similar experience in terms of soundstage and how that effects your sense of “realism”. Like, maybe electronic music doesnt really matter with staging, but listening to acoustic vocals and acoustic instruments might matter… Ive not a lot of experience but it was something I was pondering yesterday as I switched back and forth from HFM to Sennheiser.
My three favourite headphones are:

1) Grado GH2's. Mids and above are the best I ever heard for vocal and guitars. Can get a little piercing with horns and definitely light on bass. But those mids...

2) Focal Elex's. Maybe my favourite headphone. Great bass for an open back, awesome mids if you are a vocals guy and very good treble. They are described as W-shaped and I agree totally. So far in my hunt (7 years and counting), they are by far the best all rounders I have ever enjoyed.

3) Last in this list are the HE6se V2's. I LOVE these headphones, but it is conditional. And that condition is amping. While they need and want power, they excel with bass boost and 3D sound effects engaged, IMO. Without this amp I would have likely moved these along quite a while ago. For me, with this amp, they can go above the Elex's and I can listen every day for a week. They both cost me about the same and if I had to pick one, it would likely be the Elex. The Elex's can work off of any amp and probably even most DAP's.

If you have the right chain, the V2's are the better, more complete/detailed sound. The Elex's are great without needing a "magical" chain.

I will be moving some headphones on soon, but it won't be any of the above three.

To give you some context about my opinions, I do not like and will not be buying any more Sennheiser, Audeze or Beyerdynamic headphones. FWIW... :smile:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #1,243 of 2,647
To give you some context about my opinions, I do not like and will not be buying any more Sennheiser, Audeze or Beyerdynamic headphones. FWIW... :smile:
Interesting list. Like the LCD-4's. No others, not the Z either.

Some of the newer Beyers make me want to to break things 2 minutes in. The older ones take 4 seconds.

Senn HD-600 and 800 - both being more difficult to drive than generally thought reward the correct amp holder. Meh on most of the rest.

Both HE-6SE models are excellent and like typical planars (room or ear) are current crazy first and oh yes Class A detail 2nd try driving any planar on an exquisite sounding amp short on power - it's just limp.

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #1,244 of 2,647
To give you some context about my opinions, I do not like and will not be buying any more Sennheiser, Audeze or Beyerdynamic headphones. FWIW..
If you haven't had a chance to audition LCD-X 2021 yet, give them a try. To my ears they are not that far off technically from HE6SE, just like slightly warmer version with more bass quantity, with Dekoni Fenestrated pads (on LCD) they are even less apart.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #1,245 of 2,647
If you haven't had a chance to audition LCD-X 2021 yet, give them a try. To my ears they are not that far off technically from HE6SE, just like slightly warmer version with more bass quantity, with Dekoni Fenestrated pads (on LCD) they are even less apart.
No, I am done with the brand as a whole. I thought the LCD-2's were pretty uninteresting after a few listening sessions. But I still went out and bought the LCD-2 Classic's. More of the same and I ended up selling them. At the time I was told, dozens of times, that I needed to use EQ to fix the "great" headphone. That was the end for me.

For me, the next steps up will be in the Grado, Focal and HiFiman lines. And maybe a new brand I haven't tried yet. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back