HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Aug 6, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #1,246 of 2,647
No, I am done with the brand as a whole. I thought the LCD-2's were pretty uninteresting after a few listening sessions. But I still went out and bought the LCD-2 Classic's. More of the same and I ended up selling them. At the time I was told, dozens of times, that I needed to use EQ to fix the "great" headphone. That was the end for me.

For me, the next steps up will be in the Grado, Focal and HiFiman lines. And maybe a new brand I haven't tried yet. :relaxed:
Grado and Focal are on my hit list. I'll be getting a 325X before long, not sure which Focal will be my first or when it'll happen.

CFA Cascade and LSA HP-2 are on my hit list, too, and I see you have them. The Cascade, I'm already positive I want it. The HP-2, though, what are your thoughts on that headphone?

Aug 6, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #1,247 of 2,647
No, I am done with the brand as a whole. I thought the LCD-2's were pretty uninteresting after a few listening sessions. But I still went out and bought the LCD-2 Classic's. More of the same and I ended up selling them. At the time I was told, dozens of times, that I needed to use EQ to fix the "great" headphone. That was the end for me.

For me, the next steps up will be in the Grado, Focal and HiFiman lines. And maybe a new brand I haven't tried yet. :relaxed:
LCD-2 was my first introduction to Audeze, so I can see why you are shy of this brand. I stayed away for 5 years and to be honest had low expectations for LCD-X 2021 with their EQ crazy followers. Was quite pleasantly surprised as they are pretty much close to superb in their base non EQ form.
On the other hand Grado is the brand that I'll never touch with ten-foot pole. So we all have our nemeses. :o2smile:

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #1,248 of 2,647
If you haven't had a chance to audition LCD-X 2021 yet, give them a try. To my ears they are not that far off technically from HE6SE, just like slightly warmer version with more bass quantity, with Dekoni Fenestrated pads (on LCD) they are even less apart.
I’ve sold LCD-X 2021 because they could not give me the same low end as properly amped HE6se.

Aug 6, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #1,249 of 2,647
Grado and Focal are on my hit list. I'll be getting a 325X before long, not sure which Focal will be my first or when it'll happen.

CFA Cascade and LSA HP-2 are on my hit list, too, and I see you have them. The Cascade, I'm already positive I want it. The HP-2, though, what are your thoughts on that headphone?
I Love my Cascades, but the headband is junk. While they are not in my top three, I can't see selling them. I would be happy to pay somebody to retrofit a Focal or Sennheiser headband.
I love the bassiness. Every time i put them on, I giggle a bit. And it is a whole new way to listen to jazz. I do not find that the bass bleeds into the mids at all.

As far as the LSA HP-2's go, they are incredibly accurate and precise. You hear all the instruments, but I do find them a bit bass light. I think my open back Elex's have more bass.
They are the most expensive headphones I have bought so far. They are one of the headphones on the bubble for me. I definitely need to listen to them more this month.

I have three or four sets that I really have to focus on in the coming weeks. I would like to start (again) thinning the herd next month.

Aug 6, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #1,251 of 2,647
And subjectivity aside, even measurements shows LCD-X 2021 having quantitively superior bass, HE6SE bass on the other hand leaner and tighter with better texture.
1659843239684.png

Aug 7, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #1,252 of 2,647
And subjectivity aside, even measurements shows LCD-X 2021 having quantitively superior bass, HE6SE bass on the other hand leaner and tighter with better texture.
Something to keep in mind with this particular Crin measurement of the He6se v2 is that I'm pretty sure the set he tested had a stuck driver on left side (given the bass response) so that average is a bit wonky. If you compare the right channel only, the bass is within a db or two of the LCD-X. So yes, it does have more bass but just barely in these measurements.

1659845538707.png

Aug 7, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #1,253 of 2,647
1659843239684.png
that's right, coz Crinacle doesn't use amplifier :))))))
1659845939508.png

Aug 7, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #1,255 of 2,647
I’ve sold LCD-X 2021 because they could not give me the same low end as properly amped HE6se.
Hi mate, I have both with me at the moment, and have been listening to both for quite a while.

In my opinion, totally different approach to sound. But HE6se V2 can only dream to have bass like the LCD-X 2021. Very different presentation in the end. HE6se V2 has a punchier and tighter bass, but doesn't have the fullness and detail of the LCD-X 2021. You can, not only hear, but feel the LCD-X 2021 bass. HE6se V2 bass, though very fast and punchy, also lacks texture and detail in comparison.

I read someone's post earlier mentioning the staging of HE6se v2 wasn't good. IMO, bass tightness and staging are two of HE6se v2's main strengths. Not so much on the stage size, but HE6se v2 is one of the very few Hifimans that can give that sorta 3D placements of sound, and the sound images are solid instead of diffused. Separation is above its price tag. Overall, a much better presentation than the egg-shaped ones. Sundara's staging is a piece of crap compared to HE6se v2....flat and un-engaging. Compared to HE500, even though overall I prefer HE500's sound character to HE6se v2, the HE500 simply can't touch HE6se v2 when it comes to staging. At least 2 classes apart.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #1,256 of 2,647
Hi mate, I have both with me at the moment, and have been listening to both for quite a while.

In my opinion, totally different approach to sound. But HE6se V2 can only dream to have bass like the LCD-X 2021. Very different presentation in the end. HE6se V2 has a punchier and tighter bass, but doesn't have the fullness and detail of the LCD-X 2021. You can, not only hear, but feel the LCD-X 2021 bass. HE6se V2 bass, though very fast and punchy, also lacks texture and detail in comparison.

I read someone's post earlier mentioning the staging of HE6se v2 wasn't good. IMO, bass tightness and staging are two of HE6se v2's main strengths. Not so much on the stage size, but HE6se v2 is one of the very few Hifimans that can give that sorta 3D placements of sound, and the sound images are solid instead of diffused. Separation is above its price tag. Overall, a much better presentation than the egg-shaped ones. Sundara's staging is a piece of crap compared to HE6se v2....flat and un-engaging. Compared to HE500, even though overall I prefer HE500's sound character to HE6se v2, the HE500 simply can't touch HE6se v2 when it comes to staging. At least 2 classes apart.
What amp do you use with HE6se?

Aug 7, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,258 of 2,647
I'm using DCA Ether angled pads - solid lambskin. Solved for the crinkle problem by sticking a little tube between the pad and the frame on each - that lets air move in and out of the pads w/o creating suction on the drivers. Was recommended in this thread a while back.

Butt-ugly pic for reference:

IMG_3572.jpg
Is that just a bit of drinking straw?

Have you given them a listen with and without the "vent?" I understand why it's important, but I get the feeling that preventing it from generating the kind of air pressure that would cause stuck drivers would also prevent it from generating the kind of air pressure needed for real heavy bass.

Aug 7, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #1,259 of 2,647

Hmmm. My moded 500's certainly has a wider stage than my moded SE v1. The v1 has a truer sound on each individual instrument but they sort of crowd each other a bit for space. Note my moded v1 quite similar to the v2. Not as amorphous as the HD-600 however or the excerable XOO Mahogany (well under damped bass and way crappy (as in none) soundstage).

My taste in bass is quick, well damped, and explosive when that's what the recording dictates but in its place when not. All round cup HFM's with screens removed need a mild bass boost - say on a parametric 1 db at 60, add 1.2 at 35, and add 1.5 at 20. Anything from 120-240 is flat or a slight decline lest they chub out.

I've owned the LCD-2 fazor and heard the original X - apropos for 50's and 60's pop/rock or DG LP's with reticent bass. But on say RTFs "Romantic Warrior" LP. Nuh unh. Lots of growl but the transients of a new note merge with the decay of another.

Just taste after all.

Aug 7, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #1,260 of 2,647

Users who are viewing this thread

Back