HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Mar 4, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #796 of 2,647
I hadn't heard about those before so I just looked them up and they look nice. But oh boy is their mobile site sketchy! (the desktop version isn't much better, either) I don't know if I would trust a site like that with so much money... 😬
The website sucks hard, but the owner is a good guy. You will just use PayPal so you are safe. They are very interesting headphones and are a nice change from the intensity of the HE6se V2's, which I do Really like.:L3000:

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #797 of 2,647
The zmf eikon is a good alternative as well, like the aeolus. Closed back, biocellulose driver, lush and natural tone, tune-able a bit with pads.

Speaking of pads, i'm leaning towards the zmf universe suede perforated pads. I prefer the eikon perf suede on my auteurs and the solid suede on my eikons. Anyone tried these and NOT liked them? Any negatives to the overall sound? The other alternative is the dekoni elite sheepskin fenestrated.
Eikon is a good choice. I'd think an E-MU Teak would be as well.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #798 of 2,647
1v.jpg

My dac is gustard x26 pro Xlr out are rated at 5Volts my headphones amp is cayin HA-6A. Are they enough to drive HifiMan HE6 V2?

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #799 of 2,647
IMG_0506.jpg

I'm running some perforated Eikon pads on my pair now and freaking love it. They are super comfortable and sit better on the head and the sound is just freaking amazing. I still love the stock velour pads sound and that doesn't change but after putting these on now, it's a tougher call. These are so comfortable and the sound is simply luscious and yummy...

Also oddly love the way they smell too. Maybe I'm weird on that part but yeah, that leathery smell is an added bonus.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #800 of 2,647
Newbie question: I realize it isn't ideal but while I'm waiting a delayed shipment on a decent headphone amp, is it harmful for to plug my new HE6SE into the headphone jack of a decent AVR? My Pioneer LX-901 (jack specs: Headphone Output Impedance 43 Ω Headphone Rated Output 57 mW (32 Ω, 1 kHz, 10% THD). I tried it briefly yesterday, had to crank the volume up to -15 or so (the equivalent volume on my speakers is pretty loud) to get some decent sound but they sounded good, but then I wondered if I could in some way be damaging the earphones. It's hard to find any info online about this other than most AVR's aren't built w much thought to the headphone jack, but just want to make sure it's safe until my amp arrives.

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #801 of 2,647
Newbie question: I realize it isn't ideal but while I'm waiting a delayed shipment on a decent headphone amp, is it harmful for to plug my new HE6SE into the headphone jack of a decent AVR? My Pioneer LX-901 (jack specs: Headphone Output Impedance 43 Ω Headphone Rated Output 57 mW (32 Ω, 1 kHz, 10% THD). I tried it briefly yesterday, had to crank the volume up to -15 or so (the equivalent volume on my speakers is pretty loud) to get some decent sound but they sounded good, but then I wondered if I could in some way be damaging the earphones. It's hard to find any info online about this other than most AVR's aren't built w much thought to the headphone jack, but just want to make sure it's safe until my amp arrives.
No, you aren't damaging anything. I've used my HE6se on my Yamaha AVR headphone jack before, too (yeah, I had to crank it to get a usable volume). I'm pretty sure the only way you are going to damage them with a properly working headphone amp is if you give them too much power and blow them. Turn the amp all the way down before you plug/unplug them if you want to be ultra safe but I don't think that's necessary.

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #802 of 2,647
I'd be concerned about frying the amp section in the receiver...

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #803 of 2,647
(double post, oops)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #804 of 2,647
Turn the volume to 0% and/or turn the AVR off before connecting and disconnecting and there's no danger. The two main problems are that most of the time, the headphone outputs on AVRs are total afterthoughts, and then there likely aren't any AVRs now or especially ever that were optimized for planars if they do happen to have a decent headphone output. For instance, yours with 57 mW at 32 ohms with 10% THD, that's a tiny amount of power and a huge amount of distortion. It might be better with higher impedance headphones, but the HE6v2's 50 ohms, things won't be that different. If your AVR's stated specs are correct, you might be better off just running the headphones directly from your cell phone.

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #805 of 2,647
Run them off the speaker taps.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #806 of 2,647
It’s safe but quality won’t wow you. Like @gimmeheadroom said, you could try connecting them to speakers output tabs with appropriately made custom cable but you need to be aware that it isn’t the safest way to run headphone setup. Some swear by it but I don’t buy it. These sure are power demanding headphones but there are plenty of capable headphone amps out there to do the job.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #807 of 2,647
I have my HE6seV2 for about a month now. I've tried them on SA-1 and Lyr OG. To my ears HE6se were under powered. Then I decided to use HE adapter and my old Yamaha speaker amp. I can tell a big difference in power. HE6se now slam hard. But my speaker amp doesn't sound clean.
So now I am thinking:
1.Should I buy iFi Pro iCan
2. Sell HE6se and buy LCD-X and save $$ on amp

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #808 of 2,647
I have my HE6seV2 for about a month now. I've tried them on SA-1 and Lyr OG. To my ears HE6se were under powered. Then I decided to use HE adapter and my old Yamaha speaker amp. I can tell a big difference in power. HE6se now slam hard. But my speaker amp doesn't sound clean.
So now I am thinking:
My advice would be to buy a used OG version of the Pro iCAN. The Signature Edition is just stupid expensive.

If you didn't want to splurge on the amp, you are better off just selling them and getting an easier to drive headphone. Which would be just about any headphone on the planet. :smile:

It is not just about power. It is really about that dreaded word Synergy.
In my world that is the Pro iCAN in tube mode at mid-gain. Then add 20Hz of bass boost, lots of 3D and set the volume at about 12:00.
Aural bliss is then on tap. For me at least. I will follow that statement up with...Of course we all hear differently.:ksc75smile:

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #809 of 2,647
So now I am thinking:
I like how the Pro iCAN drives the HE6se. It’s got plenty of power and a nice sound. I think mine cost me a grand or so on the classifieds.

Mar 6, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #810 of 2,647
You can also try the new version of the emotiva A100 if you don’t want to break the bank. It’s $300 and a very solid pairing with these cans. More expensive stuff will just be a different flavor which you may enjoy more, but not technically better. You just have to take the cover off and install the jumpers (it’s very simple) and you get the full speaker amp output to the headphone jack. 50 watts into 8ohms

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back