Hifiman HE6-SE
Sep 29, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #92 of 3,903
Will a Schiit Mjolnir 2 be able to muster enough power for this headphone?

Enough power to get it to listenable levels? Yes.

Enough power to get the best performance out of the drivers? No.

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #95 of 3,903
Thank you! But it seems like 5W into 50 ohms won't be able to get the best performance out of the drivers. How much is actually recommended? I know people use speaker amps but if I have something like the iCan Pro will that be sufficient?

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #96 of 3,903
Well, I think its an interesting question. I haven't heard either the Susvara or the HE6se with a good speaker amp (yet.) It depends on the amount of power the amp puts into 50ohms I think, and the amps sound signature, more than the absolute power. The iFi Pro iCAN only does a peak output of 14watts, I'm not sure what its continuous output is (and I think that 14w is into 16ohm, not 50.) However, I tried it with the Susvara and it worked well. I can only assume it would work well with the HE6se too. There might be more quality to be had from a speaker amp with a bit more gain and power, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #97 of 3,903
i had the he-6 with a balanced beta-22(50 watt).so you imagine what is needed to move those drivers

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #98 of 3,903
5W into the HE-6 is enough to make you deaf, and is enough to damage other headphones at least. MORE than enough for the HE-6. When you guys are actually listening to the HE-6, you are not pumping more than 1W into it most likely.

The HE-6 just scales well with higher end amplification in general.

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #99 of 3,903
I think I'm starting to understand why the HE6 had a reputation for driver failures.

I'm pretty sure 5 watts per channel is enough to completely blow up the drivers. Where are people getting this idea you need double digit watts per channel?

1 watt is enough to get it to over 80 db. You'd want some headroom there, which I why I think Hifiman recommends 2 watts per channel.

20 watt? 40 watt amplifiers? Maybe if you like the sound of them, but anything over 4 watts is just ridiculous - that isn't a requirement in any sense of the word. At that point you are just favoring certain amplifier sounds, which is fair, but don't mistake that for power requirements.

Many headphone amplifiers aren't really powerful enough to deliver 2 watts per channel. The Oppo HA-1 for example, out of unbalanced, gets to about half a watt. That's pretty typical for headphone amplifiers, which is why people recommend speaker amps.

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #101 of 3,903
I think I'm starting to understand why the HE6 had a reputation for driver failures.

I'm pretty sure 5 watts per channel is enough to completely blow up the drivers. Where are people getting this idea you need double digit watts per channel?

1 watt is enough to get it to over 80 db. You'd want some headroom there, which I why I think Hifiman recommends 2 watts per channel.

20 watt? 40 watt amplifiers? Maybe if you like the sound of them, but anything over 4 watts is just ridiculous - that isn't a requirement in any sense of the word. At that point you are just favoring certain amplifier sounds, which is fair, but don't mistake that for power requirements.

Many headphone amplifiers aren't really powerful enough to deliver 2 watts per channel. The Oppo HA-1 for example, out of unbalanced, gets to about half a watt. That's pretty typical for headphone amplifiers, which is why people recommend speaker amps.

Driver failure was because those drivers sucked. I've been running my HE500's off of speaker taps for years and my current amp (Kenwood KA-9100) does 90watts into 8ohms. I've had amps ranging 30watts to the current 90 and no driver failure.
There is an active thread in the summit fi forum dedicated to LCD-3 driver failures so its really not about the amping but more about however that particular driver was built.

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #102 of 3,903
New headphones from HiFiman.

Snímka obrazovky 2018-09-30 o 19.59.26.png

Sep 30, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #104 of 3,903
:confused: What?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back