Hifiman HE6-SE
Feb 15, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #2,791 of 3,903
I thought it was from where the sun don' shine...

- a satisfied owner of 5 HFM cans. Drivers ARE great, cables, head gear. - not very good.
I wish HiFiMAN had the gumption to start the trend of simply not including cables with their headphones. Upper stuff, anyway.

There's a point where nobody uses stock cables with their headphones. Every stock cable somehow holds the headphone back. Don't bother including them.

Feb 15, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #2,792 of 3,903
There's a point where nobody uses stock cables with their headphones. Every stock cable somehow holds the headphone back. Don't bother including them.
Besides ergonomics and look there are no scientifically proven and measured sonic improvements from aftermarket cables, it's all psychoacoustic, we hear what we want.

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #2,793 of 3,903
Besides ergonomics and look there are no scientifically proven and measured sonic improvements from aftermarket cables, it's all psychoacoustic, we hear what we want.
The ergonomics and looks of the stock cable are very valid reasons to ask Hifiman to quit including the damn thing :D

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #2,795 of 3,903
I bet resleeved it'll make a very nice cable, the wiring inside is pretty good.
That's kind of a cool idea. With some paracord and a lighter we could make tons of money resleeving discarded Hifiman cables :p

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #2,796 of 3,903
Feb 15, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #2,797 of 3,903
Actually I am not sure that they are identical. Here is US, the $549 (before tax) is Adorama version HE6SE V2. HE6 OG is significantly better than both version of SE. The lower price also may reflect the QC issue of that batch. Even if you are lucky and don't care about the hassle to deal with the return/warranty, you still have to invest a lot more to get the full potential of HE6SE. I already paid $887 for AMP just for this headphone, possibly another $600+ to upgrade my DAC. As an alternative, I can use the fund to buy an equally great but easier to drive headphone with my current DAC/AMP.
That's the word... But outside of bass impact... 6 OG much more etched in the treble - very much so. Mids of OG too far back also.

Given it costs $900 to get OG (7 or more years old) and $550 for a box open new v2 I don't see that in favor of the OG.

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #2,798 of 3,903
Disagree. I find no use in spending over DIY for speaker cable, balanced interconnects, power cords - so far in 52 years as listener, builder, dealer, part owner of a shop, audio room designer I've had occasion to hear a lot more than almost anyone here.

But I have a silver coax and several headphone cables that show audible differences/preferences in blind testing for me and others.

Having to make declarations about things you haven't heard.... Wow, what a burden.

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #2,799 of 3,903
Disagree. I find no use in spending over DIY for speaker cable, balanced interconnects, power cords - so far in 52 years as listener, builder, dealer, part owner of a shop, audio room designer I've had occasion to hear a lot more than almost anyone here.

But I have a silver coax and several headphone cables that show audible differences/preferences in blind testing for me and others.

Having to make declarations about things you haven't heard.... Wow, what a burden.
Next time please post some measurements. Good luck.

And I might even see where the disagreement comes from.
builder, dealer, part owner of a shop, audio room designer

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #2,800 of 3,903
HE6 OG vs HE6SE vs HE6SE v2
https://forum.headphones.com/t/hifiman-he6se-v2/9995/26

1644976163740.png

green = HE6 | purple = HE6se v1 | blue = HE6se v2

Feb 15, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #2,801 of 3,903
Next time please post some measurements. Good luck
Blind test and 100% agreement of those involved. No results discussed until written descriptions passed in.

Sorry professor but FR, THD, and other measurements esp through the garbage rigs used for ABX don't come near describing everything going on. Back to the drawing board.

I've seen all sorts of delusion and smoke in this industry. It's important to detect them in ourselves and others. I'm confident in my ability to discern - I dont need an ism or book of rules to make choices. Getting more accurate with experience and a tight wallet.

Feb 15, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #2,802 of 3,903
HFM which I clearly like a lot - comes down to the excellence of the drivers.

The pads on the round cup is not maximized for sound.

Minor use of dynamat, sorbothane or similar in small amounts would improve Q of 500 and SE.

The stock cable on these 3 models: 500, HEX by so manyv2, and 6SE v1 are lesser than fairly modest cables: used black dragon v1, used Ted Allen silver plate hex, Custom Cans.

The back screens on the round cups are totally not tuned.

These things in part explain why the OG 6 and 500 were modified so much by so many. Thankfully for them ABX was nowhere to be found.

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #2,803 of 3,903
Feb 15, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2,804 of 3,903

Users who are viewing this thread

Back