Hifiman HE6-SE
Oct 1, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #2,056 of 3,902
Not Arya but HE1000v2, they are supposed to present music in the same way.
HE1000v2 impress more on the first listen, however they are a bit laid back and I found myself cranking up the volume to compensate the « lack » of dynamic.
HE6se is more livelier, more dynamic, have better impact and rythm.
I would choose HE6se, what is your amp?

Would you say the difference in the sound signature a big difference or is it pretty minor other than the lack of bass? I'm on the fence on a HE6SE since the price is now $600.

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #2,057 of 3,902
Would you say the difference in the sound signature a big difference or is it pretty minor other than the lack of bass? I'm on the fence on a HE6SE since the price is now $600.

Go for HE6se before price raise.
HE1000 v2 doesn’t lack bass, they are also high quality bass, HE6se is just more engaging and timbre are better.

Oct 2, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #2,058 of 3,902
Has anyone tried some Dekonin pads ? How do they compare to stock pads ?

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #2,059 of 3,902
Go for HE6se before price raise.
HE1000 v2 doesn’t lack bass, they are also high quality bass, HE6se is just more engaging and timbre are better.
Thanks, I misread your post about the lack of dynamics as lack of bass.

I was like “hmm what is this guy talking about, I found the bass to be enough and only lacking when compared to the lcd-4 and I guess the overly bass 8xx”

anyways thanks for the quick response I pulled the trigger. Was always interested in this headphone but always worried that this $650 can will sound better then my other hifiman.

Oct 2, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,060 of 3,902
Thanks, I misread your post about the lack of dynamics as lack of bass.

I was like “hmm what is this guy talking about, I found the bass to be enough and only lacking when compared to the lcd-4 and I guess the overly bass 8xx”

anyways thanks for the quick response I pulled the trigger. Was always interested in this headphone but always worried that this $650 can will sound better then my other hifiman.

It is hard to not like/love HE6se, read Headfonia review, it match perfectly what I hear with HE6se (certainly I have same ears / taste than reviewer):

https://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he6se-review/

Oct 3, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,061 of 3,902
Oct 3, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #2,062 of 3,902
I've tried several, and I think Dekoni TH-X00 sheepskin pads with the attenuation rings are magic.

All hybrid pads make the bass massive, but blur the treble a bit while increasing sibilance.

Dekoni sheepskin hifiman pads calmed the treble a bit, but made the mids a little honky which made the thing overall boxy.

Yeah, I think TH-X00 sheepskin pads with the attenuation ring are magic. Too honky without the ring.

Oct 3, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #2,063 of 3,902
I replaced the stock pads with Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskins, and I can easily say that I like them better than the stock pads. I haven't had a chance to try the TH-X00 pads, so can't say if I like them better than those or not, but a definite improvement in my opinion over the stock pads with the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskins.

Oct 4, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #2,064 of 3,902
I replaced the stock pads with Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskins, and I can easily say that I like them better than the stock pads. I haven't had a chance to try the TH-X00 pads, so can't say if I like them better than those or not, but a definite improvement in my opinion over the stock pads with the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskins.

What are the changes ? Bass, trebble, etc ?

Oct 4, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #2,066 of 3,902
I was hesitant to say much since this is such a personal preference thing, but for me the fenestrated sheepskins seemed to bring a bit off the treble (I hate extremes in the upper ranges it seems) and brought the bass up in tightness, but not quantity. The mids remained largely similar, but since I didn't have a problem with them before, I call that a draw and a good thing. To be clear, it's not like the bass was loose or bloated with the stock pads, but the fenestrated sheepskins just gave the bass a bit more control. I can see how others who might have wanted, "MOAR bass!" could be disappointed because the tightening COULD be seen as bass "loss", but I don't see it that way. I find the balance to be more even and refined now personally.

Oct 4, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,067 of 3,902
Read the whole thread.

1. The speaker amp fetish came as a result of the HE6 hitting the market when an average listener probably had .7 wpc at 50 ohms available. Big amps - 200 wpc at 8 ohms for instance can kill a HE-6 via dropped cartridge, power surge, etc with volume set high. I have a Rag 1, no concern for me, and I always turn vol down before next change.

2. I don't think 2 wpc is enough for the HE-6. I'd say a minimum of 4, and 8 would pretty seal the deal.

3. Tubed amps? With no mods or EQ, tube amps might be the thing over 400 Hz. Under 150 Hz I'd have to hear it. Hate under damped, sloppy, veiled bass. Not a problem for all tubes, but certainly some would fail my test. I find hybrid pre-amps can give a lot of that tube personality w/o the flubbiness of larger power tubes.

Today is decision day: To buy a v2, or not...

Oct 4, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #2,068 of 3,902
Read the whole thread.

1. The speaker amp fetish came as a result of the HE6 hitting the market when an average listener probably had .7 wpc at 50 ohms available. Big amps - 200 wpc at 8 ohms for instance can kill a HE-6 via dropped cartridge, power surge, etc with volume set high. I have a Rag 1, no concern for me, and I always turn vol down before next change.

2. I don't think 2 wpc is enough for the HE-6. I'd say a minimum of 4, and 8 would pretty seal the deal.

3. Tubed amps? With no mods or EQ, tube amps might be the thing over 400 Hz. Under 150 Hz I'd have to hear it. Hate under damped, sloppy, veiled bass. Not a problem for all tubes, but certainly some would fail my test. I find hybrid pre-amps can give a lot of that tube personality w/o the flubbiness of larger power tubes.

Today is decision day: To buy a v2, or not...
@bagwell359 I personally really enjoy my He6 SE v2 for the $600 I paid for it, played on my Burson Soloist 3XP via the xlr headphone out. It truly shines compared to what was "good" on my A90. I can say that I would place it over my Sundara, HD650, and in many respects my Beyer T1 v2. But to be honest, I wouldn't say that it "outperforms" my HEDDPhone One... (It's just "different".) I feel that it performs in accordance with other ~$1.5-2K headphones I've heard or own. Waiting on speaker tap headphone cable to hook it up to my HK-870, so it MIGHT jump again in performance if rumors are to be believed, but I'll reserve judgement. Not knocking it. I like it A LOT. But so far I am feeling that I was already getting this level of performance with a headphone that didn't require modding, special amps, or gobs of power. So it comes down to what you want. I'm not disappointed at all with the He6 SE v2, but I could see how others might just as well spend the money on headphones that are "lower maintenance" and can be enjoyed "stock". I will continue to pursue as far as this pre-amp via Burson Soloist 3XP, (It requires special NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA Transformer Balancing Adapters to go from the XLR outs to my HK-870's RCA inputs that arrive Friday.) into the HK-870, but I think after swapping pads, changing grills, and all these proprietary cable accommodations, I'll end upgrading it there.

Oct 4, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #2,069 of 3,902
Today is decision day: To buy a v2, or not

It dropped $100 quite quickly, they might as well make it $349 for BF we'll see but I suspect HE500 bass & natural SS won't be there so I would end up being a sad panda
1633362902671.png

Oct 4, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,070 of 3,902
@bagwell359 I personally really enjoy my He6 SE v2 for the $600 I paid for it, played on my Burson Soloist 3XP via the xlr headphone out. It truly shines compared to what was "good" on my A90. I can say that I would place it over my Sundara, HD650, and in many respects my Beyer T1 v2. But to be honest, I wouldn't say that it "outperforms" my HEDDPhone One... (It's just "different".) I feel that it performs in accordance with other ~$1.5-2K headphones I've heard or own. Waiting on speaker tap headphone cable to hook it up to my HK-870, so it MIGHT jump again in performance if rumors are to be believed, but I'll reserve judgement. Not knocking it. I like it A LOT. But so far I am feeling that I was already getting this level of performance with a headphone that didn't require modding, special amps, or gobs of power. So it comes down to what you want. I'm not disappointed at all with the He6 SE v2, but I could see how others might just as well spend the money on headphones that are "lower maintenance" and can be enjoyed "stock". I will continue to pursue as far as this pre-amp via Burson Soloist 3XP, (It requires special NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA Transformer Balancing Adapters to go from the XLR outs to my HK-870's RCA inputs that arrive Friday.) into the HK-870, but I think after swapping pads, changing grills, and all these proprietary cable accommodations, I'll end upgrading it there.
HEDD's are pretty impressive. I usually say the HE-6se v1/2 own the market up to about $1200 at least, but yes, with caveats related to mods/power). I think they are well ahead of the Sundara, I'm married to the HD-600, so I find the 650 a bit veiled. In a lot of ways they beat the Arya too.

I agree that's a lot of trouble to go thru to use a speaker amp. That Burson is 4 wpc Class A - that should do the job. A Rag v1 or 2 will give you about 16 wpc per channel with a simple SE or 5 pin cable required, Used 1's must be starting to go under $900, and you can drive a pair of KEF's or Maggie .7i's very nicely too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back