Hifiman HE6-SE
Sep 18, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #2,041 of 3,902
I'm on fire today!!!HE6SEv2 Adorama's & a NIB Audio GD R28 PreAmp/Head amp/DAC ordered..I think I'm as close to end game now as I am ever likely to get except for maybe 1 more pair of cans,most likely Senn 800S...
Get a K712pro, you can thank me later & not just for saving you money. Both have the unnatural forward in the soundstage bass, sharp to peaky highs, but the K712 is clean bass, the HD800s is off sounding unless you have THX chips, Very noticeable on Audio-GD amps, well any non THX amps.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,042 of 3,902
My HE6 SE v2 is here! TOTAL thanks and respect to HiFiMan Customer Service. The original ones shipped are still "lost" somewhere with the USPS, but HiFiMan next-day shipped me a replacement pair once the USPS presented their results from their "lost package" investigation. Hooked it up and immediately swapped the pads and settled on Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskins. I know that some people don't care for them, but I like them a lot. Played through my Denafrips Artemis, they sound "good", but not nearly enough "oomf" to get them to enjoyable volume. The technicalities and placement are awesome, but it's just not enough power... My Topping A90 is the exact opposite, enough volume, but it leaves me feeling like all the music is behind a plane dimensionally. Plenty of left-right, but the soundstage is VERY "2D". I guess this is what people refer to as "wall of sound"? So now I'm seeking a Flux Labs Volot (Back-ordered), or possibly willing to try the FA-10 as I'm hearing good things about the pairing, but don't want to always regret "not going the whole way". Not really too interested in a power amp tap setup if I can help it, but I'm not totally eliminating the possibility if the evidence is to the contrary vs any integrated offerings. But I have high hopes for the Volot. Completely by accident, I found the Ferrum Audio "OOR" amp that also seems to have potential... No reviews, so I'm seeing if I can arrange a demo. Anyway, I'm happy with the HE6 SE v2 for now, and look forward to releasing the other 30% potential that I'm guessing that these still have left to display! I consider them a compliment to my HEDDPhone and upgrade over my Beyerdynamic T1 v2 already for all things but soundstage placement (Again, that "wall of sound" issue with the A90, but even flat, the HE6 SE v2 sounds great, wider, and more detailed.)

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #2,043 of 3,902
My HE6 SE v2 is here! TOTAL thanks and respect to HiFiMan Customer Service. The original ones shipped are still "lost" somewhere with the USPS, but HiFiMan next-day shipped me a replacement pair once the USPS presented their results from their "lost package" investigation. Hooked it up and immediately swapped the pads and settled on Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Sheepskins. I know that some people don't care for them, but I like them a lot. Played through my Denafrips Artemis, they sound "good", but not nearly enough "oomf" to get them to enjoyable volume. The technicalities and placement are awesome, but it's just not enough power... My Topping A90 is the exact opposite, enough volume, but it leaves me feeling like all the music is behind a plane dimensionally. Plenty of left-right, but the soundstage is VERY "2D". I guess this is what people refer to as "wall of sound"? So now I'm seeking a Flux Labs Volot (Back-ordered), or possibly willing to try the FA-10 as I'm hearing good things about the pairing, but don't want to always regret "not going the whole way". Not really too interested in a power amp tap setup if I can help it, but I'm not totally eliminating the possibility if the evidence is to the contrary vs any integrated offerings. But I have high hopes for the Volot. Completely by accident, I found the Ferrum Audio "OOR" amp that also seems to have potential... No reviews, so I'm seeing if I can arrange a demo. Anyway, I'm happy with the HE6 SE v2 for now, and look forward to releasing the other 30% potential that I'm guessing that these still have left to display! I consider them a compliment to my HEDDPhone and upgrade over my Beyerdynamic T1 v2 already for all things but soundstage placement (Again, that "wall of sound" issue with the A90, but even flat, the HE6 SE v2 sounds great, wider, and more detailed.)
FA-10 is amazing with the HE6se's. I owned both at one point and it was my go to amp for Hifiman headphones in general. It has great synergy with them. Thanks to the way it conveys the midrange in music and it's hefty low end, the FA-10 is an excellent choice for the HE6se's or any Hifiman headphone in my opinion.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #2,044 of 3,902
You owned both the Volot and FA-10, and ran them A/B? Sorry, I rattled-off a lot of gear, so want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding you. If that's the case, then what an endorsement for the FA-10! If so, what was your deciding factor(s)? (If you don't mind my asking?) And thank you either way for the recommendation Slim1970!

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #2,045 of 3,902
You owned both the Volot and FA-10, and ran them A/B? Sorry, I rattled-off a lot of gear, so want to be sure I'm not misunderstanding you. If that's the case, then what an endorsement for the FA-10! If so, what was your deciding factor(s)? (If you don't mind my asking?) And thank you either way for the recommendation Slim1970!
No, I owned the HE6se's and FA-10 at the same time. The Volot was not released at the time I owned the HE6se's. I got tired of waiting for Volot release and picked up a Luxman P-750u instead. It's the best amp I've owned or heard to this day. It's much better than the FA-10 and drives everything, but it's rather costly. The FA-10 was very competitive with it, after I had it modded, but lacked the sound refinement and drive of the Luxman.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #2,046 of 3,902
To be honest, I almost "lost my mind" and plunked-down the $4,990.00 for the Flux Labs Atlas! But I haven't gone quite that far down the rabbit hole. Yet...

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #2,047 of 3,902
To be honest, I almost "lost my mind" and plunked-down the $4,990.00 for the Flux Labs Atlas! But I haven't gone quite that far down the rabbit hole. Yet...
There are so many great amps out there. It's just a matter of taste. The Atlas would be a nice amp to have, but if given the choice I would get the Volot and pair it with my choice of DAC.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #2,048 of 3,902
Haven’t heard the flux, but some people have reported that it shut down running susvara because of the protection design (The susvara demanded to much power for the flux to handle)
But other people said it is a great pairing.

If you can get the Burson Soloist 3x/Grand Tourer on loan from a local dealer, give it a go. I love how well my Burson Soloist 3x drive my HE6, decided to sell my A90 after first 5 seconds of listening, didn’t need to A/B

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #2,049 of 3,902
Haven’t heard the flux, but some people have reported that it shut down running susvara because of the protection design (The susvara demanded to much power for the flux to handle)

If you can get the Burson Soloist 3x/Grand Tourer on loan from a local dealer, give it a go. I love how well my Burson Soloist 3x drive my HE6, decided to sell my A90 after first 5 seconds of listening, didn’t need to A/B

You do realize that Volot has a lot more power than both Burson's together?

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #2,050 of 3,902

Hi Sebbai! First: Thank you for the helpful insights. It really helped my decision-making become a lot easier. 2nd, I have pulled the trigger on the Burson Soloist 3x Performance. But I also found a ~$200 deal on a Harmon Kardon HK-870 amp and bought that as well (& a XLR "Banana-plug" cable I found on LQi Cables). I know I could have gone cheaper on the cable, but felt pretty that it at least looked like a decent quality product.

So this way I get to back-to-back demo the HE6 SE v2 from the XLR of the Burson as well as go the vintage speaker amp tap route. (I've got like 3-4 old amps that can act as pre-amp for the HK-870, even without the Burson, so easier to go head-to-head) I think the A90 will be okay for that, but I'll try the others as well in case the A90 "colors" or compresses/flattens things even as a pre-amp just in case.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2,051 of 3,902
Oh, small detail: Realizing that the HK-870 does not have posts compatible with banana-plugs, I picked up some Wyvern Audio banana-to-spade adapters off amazon.com: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X9FET7I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Hopefully I didn't just cause a mass-collective eye-roll?) I'm open to hearing arguments against if this was a mistake. I just thought that this would afford me the flexibility to use the banana-plugs in the Burson as well as leaving the adaptors permanently connected to the posts on the HK-870 as the plastics on them are notoriously brittle/fragile. The 870 unit I found has a solid mounting assembly, and I'd like to try and reduce wear on them...

For those of you experienced with vintage, I THINK I made out okay, (won't know for sure until serviced and tested by trusted tech) but I'm not seeing any undue "red flags"... Anyone see anything that doesn't look kosher to them? I'd truly appreciate the benefits of your wisdom!

1633011959374.png

1633012039704.png

1633012171018.png

1633012218081.png

Sep 30, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,052 of 3,902
I realize that this is an HE6-SE thread, but I have to say that I'm equally-excited to hear what these Burson & vintage options will sound like with my Modhouse Argon MkII and HEDDPhone One balanced headphones as well! Not nearly as hard to drive, but I understand that to a point, they like "power" and big voltage capable amps as well.. :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #2,054 of 3,902
Does anyone know if convolution filters exist specifically for the HE6SE v2? I'm using the ones by Oratory1990 (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/HIFIMAN HE6se), but these don't say if they were meant for the v1 or the v2.
I don't know for sure but I almost guarantee they're v1, as I am pretty sure the v2 wasn't around when these were uploaded.

The naming convention (i.e. lack of version number) is a bit of a hint that it's v1, as there wasn't a "version" at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back