Hifiman HE6-SE
Oct 9, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #2,086 of 3,895
I turn off and on everything in any ridiculous order, out of contempt. The only thing I do is make sure my OG Freya is in passive mode before turning it off, as it pops in tube mode.

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #2,087 of 3,895
I've had the v1 for must be over 2 years. I rank it neck and neck with the 500's. 6 v1 has better bass than the 500, More accurate/detailed overall. A bit more angular/cold but quite sure handed. If the 6 v1 had a stage like the 500 than the 6 v1 would clearly be better. They both need EQ ande mods.

My listening:

35% 500
35% 6se v1
20% HD-600 on BHC
10% HEX v2
With the weight on the 6se, you'll need that second neck to deal with the strain.

Oct 9, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #2,088 of 3,895
With the weight on the 6se, you'll need that second neck to deal with the strain.
After "working out" by wearing my HEDDPhone all this time, the 6se is a stroll in the park! :wink:

Oct 9, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #2,089 of 3,895
Saw a good price for these used (HE-6SE V2, very minimal use, barely over three months), can't wait for them to come in the mail :) You can see where my current setup in my signature below. 15W RMS into 50Ω should be enough for these cans, no? Does anyone have any EQ profiles for these cans as well?
I have an EQ for the v1. But the pads, equipment, mods are different. I'd use the Oratory1990 settings for starters (but ignore anything under 150 Hz) and toggle each one off/on/up and down db to get closer. Paying attention to ringing can come after. 6se has great bass. If you take off the grilles you might want to add a few db at 35 Hz down. Don't be impatient I've been refining my EQ for over a year.

Oct 9, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #2,090 of 3,895
What's with people and weight? Sit on a chair with back and head support and lean back.

I'd rather have a can on the heavier side that sounds like music than some rubbish from AKG or Grado that sounds like a crappy transistor radio on the beach.

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,091 of 3,895
What's with people and weight? Sit on a chair with back and head support and lean back.

I'd rather have a can on the heavier side that sounds like music than some rubbish from AKG or Grado that sounds like a crappy transistor radio on the beach.
They're not even that heavy.

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #2,092 of 3,895
They're not even that heavy.
Well... there is that too. I wouldn't wear them if I was bending over a PC for 20 minutes, but in a gentle supportive reclining position? Two hours easy until my ears start sweating. I dose off for a few minutes every 3rd-4th time I listen to them. Low volume (75 db peak) and non-discordant music is the key.

Oct 12, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #2,093 of 3,895
Guys... I messed up.

Plugged my Sundara headphones into the rig. So depressing to listen to them after getting used to hearing these He6se v2s.

There's just a tiny bit "more" of everything that I loved about my Sundaras, but it sounds like someone is cramming everything into a shoebox comparitively. I also never realized how "flat" they sound.

To be fair though, throwing THIS much power at my Argons has made them truly come alive. I've never enjoyed them more! Can't listen without wanting to "rock-out". (NO ONE wants to see that!)

Edit: For comparison sakes - Volumes
HK-870 ->Burson Soloist 3x as pre-amp
He6se v2 volume 74
Modhouse Argon MK2 volume 64
Sundara volume 44
Thieaudio Phantom volume 24 (Loud!)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #2,094 of 3,895
"Castles High, Marble Bright" by Caspian
Sounds "okay" on Sundara until 5:24, then everything just sounds like a garbled mess. On He6se v2 everything is in its place and you can just let it play out in front of you and there's no smearing/jumbling.

"Robots in Motion" by Philter there's as 'tick" or "clack" that starts at 0:35, and on Sundara it's dead-center in your brain and is almost unnerving. He6se v2 it's there, but slightly to right and behind you and doesn't feel like someone is whacking it into your cerebellum.

Yeah, I'm really happy with this decision more-so than I have been in a long while. True the amount of gear and tweaking has never been this comprehensive to get to happy, but I call it worth it.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #2,095 of 3,895
With the extended abilities of the v2 over the v1, what I have been saying is being seen by more folks.

v2 > v1 > Ananda. Clear to me that the v2 buries the Ananda.

v1 ~ Arya. v2 > Arya

for $599 currently. Undercuts the arguments for best deal in class of the Ananda or Sundara. It's a blow torch to any can available under $1250 - just give it 2 watts and a good chain in front of it.

Oct 12, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #2,096 of 3,895
With the extended abilities of the v2 over the v1, what I have been saying is being seen by more folks.

v1 ~ Arya. v2 > Arya

for $599 currently. Undercuts the arguments for best deal in class of the Ananda or Sundara. It's a blow torch to any can available under $1250 - just give it 2 watts and a good chain in front of it.
Oddly enough, I was waffling between pulling the trigger on Arya or just waiting to get my bonus to "hide" the purchase of a Susvara. Now I'm not so sure that I need to.

Going to head-to-head a Denafrips Terminator Plus and Holo May Kitsune as the next step in balancing my audio chain instead. I think I'm going to be pretty well-served by what I've already got at this point.

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #2,097 of 3,895
Oddly enough, I was waffling between pulling the trigger on Arya or just waiting to get my bonus to "hide" the purchase of a Susvara. Now I'm not so sure that I need to.

Going to head-to-head a Denafrips Terminator Plus and Holo May Kitsune as the next step in balancing my audio chain instead. I think I'm going to be pretty well-served by what I've already got at this point.
Starting today the sell off of all sorts of things - to get the bucks for an open box Susvara.& a v2. Going forward with them, HE-500, and HD-600 on BHCS is an end game for me.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #2,098 of 3,895

v1 ~ Arya. v2 > Arya

Have your experienced ears experienced the Arya v3 yet? :)

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #2,099 of 3,895
Just want to report that I recently started to use Rotel 1582 mk2 to drive my HE6se. I feel a step up from my SAGA preamp + Adcom 545. Less busy and congestion and more musical.

I don't need a preamp here because it mainly compensated for the issues in adcom 545. I used to believe this is due to impedance mismatch but could be the fact the Adcom needs to be serviced. Anyways, it is a topic in a different thread.

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #2,100 of 3,895
I have finally gotten the downstairs "Rig 2" setup to cover all my headphone needs:
  • Wireless access to all my media
  • Streaming of Tidal & Amazon Music in full hi-def FLAC format through either the
    • Sony TV [Only handles up to 16-bit, but is fine for general listening]
    • iFi Stream (top-right of TV base) [Handles 24-bit and has better dynamics on headphones sensitive enough to showcase it]
  • Denafrips Pontus DAC (Bottom-right silver box) into either:
    • Denafrips Artemis Headphone amp (Bottom-right black box)
    • Burson Soloist 3XP (middle-right silver box) [DO NOT plug a Soloist 3XP into an RCA-Only power amp via adapter cables! You need a Neutrik NA2F-D0B-TX XLR to RCA Transformer Balancing Adapter or equivalent.]
    • Or for the "power hungry" Headphones - Harmon Kardon 870 power amp for 200 watts per channel "brain-melting" lusciousness! (Bottom-left beige box)
Livingroom Audio Setup 10-24-2021.jpg

Certainly not the "End-all", especially in comparison to the gear being bandied-about here. But I'm just happy to have ONE PLACE that decently handles ALL my headphones, (Including those pesky, but beloved He6se v2 & HEDDPhone One power hogs.) without having to "switch-out" anything anymore! (Added bonus of elevation to an unexpected level of my Modhouse Argons. They may not NEED 200 watts per channel, but they sure THANK YOU for it!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back