Hifiman HE6-SE
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #2,116 of 3,895
Hey all,

Nee he 6se owner. Got the adorama one. I have been underwhelmed by them. I got them at the same time as Z1r and mest mkii, so perhaps that's why. Driven from dx300 and ifi diablo. My zen dac seems to power them best but it's an intro DAC, so the actual dac in it is pretty basic. Wonder if I'd be better off with the Ananda just based on my current sources? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Hi Josh,

Congrats!! You've got a seriously nice sounding iem in the Mest MkII. You're setting the bar pretty high from the onset. As for the he6se v2, I believe I warned you that you might run into this situation with the sources you're using throttling their capabilities... First, the easiest mod is to remove the screens. You can pick any of the mod screens others have mentioned earlier for long-term protection so the drivers aren't exposed. The 2nd is pad rolling. I like the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads that I settled on, but others have had success with different ones. 3rd is cable. I was fine with the SOUND of the stock one, but did pick up a replacement from Periapt, and am quite happy with it. Did nothing for improving sound (To MY ears), but made them more enjoyable to use... 4th is power and made the largest improvement in my experience. I have iFi Micro iDSD original, black label, iCAN, and xCAN, and while they all could POWER the he6se v2 to loud enough levels, they never made the cans "sing". Zen Can v2, Asgard 2, SMSL sp200, Topping a90 were each incrementally "better" than the previous in the list (read as louder), but not enjoyable. Going to the Burson Soloist 3Xp was the first "Ah!" moment that I realized how special they could sound. Picking up a cheap, vintage HK-870 and powering them off that has made them my favorite, even over my HEDDPhone, which is quite a feat. I "suspect" that upgrading my HK-870 to a quality, "modern" power amp like the Benchmark AHB2 "might" push them even a little further, but I'm quite happy for now. The fact that I NEVER noticed Mick Jagger in the background of Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" before running them off the HK-870 was all the proof that I needed that I was at a decent place in my personal he6se upgrade adventure. Everything is just "there" on display for you to experience and hone-in on if you choose to, or just listen if you want. Not a HUGE soundstage like the HD800 does, but everything inside is well-placed and clearly defined. Bass isn't just a "whump" with these. It's a pluck, resonance, ringing, reflections of walls/objects, and decay. And these GIVE you all that when you finally get to this level. They didn't do that so distinctly when even the a90 was powering them, and less-so with the others. The only exception was my Denafrips Artemis amp, which started to showcase this ability, but the volume only ever got to about 70% of where I would choose to listen to even moderately loud tracks at while turned up to almost max volume.

Hope this encourages you to not give up! There's so much more for you than what I imagine you can find in ANY headphone short of $2500. It just takes a little investment, but you can customize how you want to get there. All in one jump with a Ragnarok, Go nuts with a WA33 or Blue Hawaii class high-end amp, or simply find a GOOD vintage, build a "kit amp" (First Watt & the like), or a solid modern power amp (AHB2 & the like) and use your current amp(s) as pre-amp/get a dedicated pre-amp).

Let us know how you choose! I'm interested to hear about your journey.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #2,117 of 3,895
Something that I didn't expect. The he6se v2 shows EVERYTHING about your chain. From the media you choose, to each component you pipe your music through. For MONTHS I've never noticed the stark difference in performance between streaming TIDAL through my Sony smart TV via app, and the iFi Stream unit. So much more congested and flat through the TV than the iFi. Before it was (DISC CD/DVD/HDDVD) BEST | (DSD/FLAC files direct from my NAS) 2nd BEST | (ALL streaming) "Fine for casual listening"

Next step is upping my DAC game. My Pontus (Alvin confirmed it's upgraded, effectively making it a Pontus II without the shell showing "Pontus II") is AWESOME compared to any other DAC I've owned or reviewed including Topping, RME, iFi, SMSL, Chord (Never heard above a Hugo 2 though), Grace, Marantz, Cambridge (851N & D.M.100 only), Schiit (up to Gungnir), etc... But I'm thinking it might be time to step-up to Terminator (skipping straight over Venus) or Holo May Kitsune since these he6se v2s seem to be able to lay "everything" out before you for inspection. Everything "else" sounds either "artificial", "flat", small/congested, or a combination of all the above.

Starting my research now with the intention of pulling the trigger on a "final winner" in January.

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,119 of 3,895
I'm trying to find a replacement cable for the stock one since it sucks . Does anyone know if it's hifiman 2.5mm or 3.5mm for the HE-6 se v2?
3.5mm on the cups. I use a cheap-ish third party cable and it's definitely dual 3.5mm

Oct 18, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #2,122 of 3,895
thanks for the info. Definitely need a heavier duty cable because this stock one is god awful.
Found this guy on Ebay:fogcityaudio.........Nothing fancy,good connectors & Mogami Pro Ox.Free Copper cable..Under $100.00 depending on length..

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #2,123 of 3,895
I'm trying to find a replacement cable for the stock one since it sucks . Does anyone know if it's hifiman 2.5mm or 3.5mm for the HE-6 se v2?
I picked up this dual 3.5mm to XLR cable from Periapt and am very happy with it!

https://periaptcables.com/products/8-type-8-dual-3-5mm
1634590752050.png

8 - Type 8 - Dual 3.5mm × 1
5ft / Red / ProXLR

I plug it into the long-run XLR from the entertainment center in the living room, and it's a perfect length for direct-connect when I'm sitting at a desk-mounted amp.

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #2,124 of 3,895
@okan TOTAL respect for your choice of avatar Okan!
20200604_094339.jpg

My attempts to integrate my love of Thundercats and Audio met with "less success"... :wink:

OK, how about, "Sword of Omens - Grant me sound beyond sound!"

Sword Of Omens (Sound Beyond Sound).jpg

It's been a LONG day...

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #2,125 of 3,895
Found this guy on Ebay:fogcityaudio.........Nothing fancy,good connectors & Mogami Pro Ox.Free Copper cable..Under $100.00 depending on length..
Went ahead with a recommendation to purchase the apos flow cable from apos.audio. Now that I'm done modding it , I can enjoy them. Converted them into a audeze suspension headband so the comfort is dramatically improved . Pads will be replaced when I figure out which ones will sound good.

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #2,126 of 3,895
@okan TOTAL respect for your choice of avatar Okan!
20200604_094339.jpg
My attempts to integrate my love of Thundercats and Audio met with "less success"... :wink:

OK, how about, "Sword of Omens - Grant me sound beyond sound!"

Sword Of Omens (Sound Beyond Sound).jpg
It's been a LONG day...

Thanks I love your sword of omens, looks great. It is hard to find someone who is fun of thundercats nowadays. I think we are getting old :)

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #2,127 of 3,895
Thanks I love your omen sword, looks great. It is hard to find someone who is fun of thundercats nowadays. I think we are getting old :)
You think your getting old,what's a Thundercat?

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #2,128 of 3,895
Oh, the pain.... THE PAIN!!!!!!!

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #2,130 of 3,895
Thought you were talking about the music artist

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back