Hifiman HE6-SE
Oct 26, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #2,146 of 3,900
At the rate we're going I wouldn't be surprised if someone found a way to mod with a set of styrofoam cups!

Good on you intrepid trailblazers. One of you may discover the next phase of audio experience elevations. :wink:
(I'm not being sarcastic. History has shown more outlandish things than we're bandying-about turn to piles of intellectual GOLD.)

Oct 27, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #2,147 of 3,900
OK, I did my little proof of concept, and I am horrified to say that it kinda works.

You'll need four nuggets per cup to have the thing actually sit on your head without tilting. But yes, breaking the seal like that resulted in a massive bass kick.

Also treble death spikes, but hey, tuning!

I only put two nuggets on and kinda held the cups, perhaps four nuggets would temper the treble?

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #2,148 of 3,900
Nice to see my mod get some attention! What do you mean when you say ”no luck” ?

Your comment made me pick out my replacement HE6SE V1 from Hifiman, as they just have been sitting in the box unopened since I got hold of HE6 4 & 6 screw.

Installed the bassport modded pads, and been A/B them with the OG HE6’s.
Running of Burson Stack (Soloist 3x and Composer 3xp, all vivid 6 op-amps and supercharger)
Same Cable, same volume, same EQ.
(Both HE6 are blue tack mod’d)

The HE6SE slams harder that any of the HE6’s, with the bassport mod.

If anyone doubt my findings I will run the same test on my Primare A30.1 100W speaker amp.

If I get hold of a measurement rig I will post the proof.

Song used for this test was —Gabriel (Live Garage Mix) by Roy David Jr.
I’m not sure how deep the sub bass in the song is, or if all my pairs of HE6 are equally difficult to drive.

Again nothing professional about my “testing” I’m recently new to this hobby (Started November 2020)
Sorry for the late reply.

I had no luck in replicating your mod mainly because, well i did not actually implement your exact mod. I used a couple of folded pieces of paper to create some spacing between the mounting ring and the cups, i guess they were not sufficient or produced a different effect since they don't have a hole in the middle like your cable thingy has.

That is why i thought about a customized mounting ring, when i hold the cups away from my ear the difference in bass is incredible. I thought it would be a good idea to have a mounting ring that would do just that, but in a more controlled manner.

Oct 28, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2,149 of 3,900
OK, I did my little proof of concept, and I am horrified to say that it kinda works.

You'll need four nuggets per cup to have the thing actually sit on your head without tilting. But yes, breaking the seal like that resulted in a massive bass kick.

Also treble death spikes, but hey, tuning!

I only put two nuggets on and kinda held the cups, perhaps four nuggets would temper the treble?
Hahaha, nice! I thought that this would be the case :)

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #2,150 of 3,900
Sorry for the late reply.

I had no luck in replicating your mod mainly because, well i did not actually implement your exact mod. I used a couple of folded pieces of paper to create some spacing between the mounting ring and the cups, i guess they were not sufficient or produced a different effect since they don't have a hole in the middle like your cable thingy has.

That is why i thought about a customized mounting ring, when i hold the cups away from my ear the difference in bass is incredible. I thought it would be a good idea to have a mounting ring that would do just that, but in a more controlled manner.
I see, how much of an air gap did you get? Any pictures? I’m not sure my bassport actually creates enough air gap to maximise bass impact, but I wanted to keep some of the sub bass too.

After reading @thefitz experience with nuggets I’m tempted to replicate it myself.

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #2,151 of 3,900
I see, how much of an air gap did you get? Any pictures? I’m not sure my bassport actually creates enough air gap to maximise bass impact, but I wanted to keep some of the sub bass too.

After reading @thefitz experience with nuggets I’m tempted to replicate it myself.
Sorry no pictures... It was a very small air gap.

The nuggets idea is interesting indeed, i bet it creates absurd amounts of bass, but as you said we need some balance to preserve some subbass, hahaha

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #2,152 of 3,900
Interestingly, having my original HE-5 float a few inches away from my face doesn't really do that bass spike - is there a chance it has something to do with the resonance of modern Hifimen?

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #2,153 of 3,900
After blutack mod on my HE6 I thought it sounded more like HE6SE, less impact better sub bass. So my first thought was that HIFIMAN tried to replicate the sound of one of the most popular mods on HE6 with the HE6SE.

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #2,154 of 3,900
After blutack mod on my HE6 I thought it sounded more like HE6SE, less impact better sub bass. So my first thought was that HIFIMAN tried to replicate the sound of one of the most popular mods on HE6 with the HE6SE.
Have you tried "my" "Dekoni TH-X00 sheepskin pads with the attenuation ring mod"?

I am dying to know what you'd think of it in the context of you owning all the HE-6 variants.

If you ever wanna swap a spare OG HE-6 for a beaten up OG HE-5, hit me up! haha

Oct 28, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #2,155 of 3,900
This makes sense. I believe that they went to a denser/less resonate cup material for all of their headphones over the years (at least compared to the OG HE-400 which I was reading up on mods at one point).

Have you tried "my" "Dekoni TH-X00 sheepskin pads with the attenuation ring mod"?

I am dying to know what you'd think of it in the context of you owning all the HE-6 variants.

Do you use the standard attenuation ring (dimensions and shape) that dekoni uses or is it custom? I just picked up some sheepskin pads (not Dekoni, but similar) for my X00 PH and have been loving them. So I might as well try them since I have them and buy another pair if they work well on my HE6se.

Oct 28, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #2,156 of 3,900

Yes I tried a "version" of you mod (Denon 2000 pads with attenuation ring) on my pair of HE6SE before I got the HE6, really liked it, brought the mids up and focused the sound. But my ears are big and touched the walls of the pads, and therefore switched back to stock pads.

Since I don’t have the Denon 2000 anymore, HE6 test will have to wait. Currently in discussions with my friend to buy his pair of Fostex TH600, if they have the same pads I will update you!

As for pads to the HE6, my choice has settled on the original velour pads, they have the best slam which might have something to do with giving the driver more air.

EDIT: OG HE-5 is on my wish list and is the piece missing in my collection ATM, going to send Dr. Fang Bian a picture of the collection once I get my pair. Have the HE-300, HE-400, HE-500, HE6 (4&6 screw/ looking for a 4-screw late), HE6SE V1 and HE6SE V2

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #2,157 of 3,900
Do you use the standard attenuation ring (dimensions and shape) that dekoni uses or is it custom? I just picked up some sheepskin pads (not Dekoni, but similar) for my X00 PH and have been loving them. So I might as well try them since I have them and buy another pair if they work well on my HE6se.
Dekoni TH-X00 sheepskin pads and Dekoni attenuation rings on the HE-6se and Th900 have made significant sound signature changes that I felt are the best, and I've tried dozens of pads in all sets.

Interestingly, on the HE400, I prefer hybrid pads with the ring, and the ring didn't do a whole lot to the HE5. Hated DCA angled pads on the 6se, love em on the 5. Go figure.

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #2,158 of 3,900
Yes I tried a "version" of you mod (Denon 2000 pads with attenuation ring) on my pair of HE6SE before I got the HE6, really liked it, brought the mids up and focused the sound. But my ears are big and touched the walls of the pads, and therefore switched back to stock pads.

Since I don’t have the Denon 2000 anymore, HE6 test will have to wait. Currently in discussions with my friend to buy his pair of Fostex TH600, if they have the same pads I will update you!

As for pads to the HE6, my choice has settled on the original velour pads, they have the best slam which might have something to do with giving the driver more air.

EDIT: OG HE-5 is on my wish list and is the piece missing in my collection ATM, going to send Dr. Fang Bian a picture of the collection once I get my pair. Have the HE-300, HE-400, HE-500, HE6 (4&6 screw/ looking for a 4-screw late), HE6SE V1 and HE6SE V2
I did find that Geekria makes identically dimensioned pads for much cheaper, similar enough sound, just sloppily made. Would not be shocked if they are Dekoni C-stock.

I really wish I bought an HE6 when the prices were around $750-$800. Although I got the deal of a lifetime on the HE5 so close enough.

Where's your HE-4??? 😅😭

Edit: I have Th610 pads (and 900 and 990) and the Dekoni pads are much taller on both sides, with a narrower opening.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #2,159 of 3,900
I did find that Geekria makes identically dimensioned pads for much cheaper, similar enough sound, just sloppily made. Would not be shocked if they are Dekoni C-stock.

I really wish I bought an HE6 when the prices were around $750-$800. Although I got the deal of a lifetime on the HE5 so close enough.

Where's your HE-4??? 😅😭

Edit: I have Th610 pads (and 900 and 990) and the Dekoni pads are much taller on both sides, with a narrower opening.
The HE6se is selling for $599 right now on adorama. I think it is an all time low.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #2,160 of 3,900
The HE6se is selling for $599 right now on adorama. I think it is an all time low.
Yeah, I was referring to the original HE-6. They started to go scarce, and then I think after Resolve did a shootout on YouTube, the prices went nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back