= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Sep 9, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #1,666 of 1,710
  That would be helpful. I know a lot of people are really worried that he disappeared...

I am not super worried as Jerg said he had spoken to Modulor, but would like to know if he is okay and intends to finish the last batch of jergpads. I am waiting patiently and understand he has problems to deal with, but a short reply here or to pm would be nice.

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #1,667 of 1,710

I actually found that they were thinner than the original velours and pleathers so my ears ARE touching the driver. So the Focus pads are a no go for me. Unfortunate as I think they feel great, and seem well made. Just a change for the worse in comfort, which was the whole point in getting them.

I think I'm going to give the Alpha pads or the Shure Alcantara pads a try, unless somebody knows of another pad that is even more comfy that fit the Hifimans well.

I will be following your lead Wild. I looked back on a few posts and saw that along with the Alpha Pads, the Audeze pads are nice too. The question is, how do you attach the o-ring to the ear pad?... Fostex Pads?

At least now I know not to get the Focus Pads (even though you had polarizing comments). Audeze pads are $80-$100.... hmmm... Where does one get J$ pads?

seems like alpha pad installation, just transfer the o-ring. To the For Sale Thread!!

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,669 of 1,710
Why not modding HM5 earpads? They supposedly fit and they are equally comfy as they sound great IME.

I tried a pair stock and modded (somewhat jergpad style), and get a nasty glare at certain mid frequencies.  I've tried to tame it, as they are fairly comfortable, but in the end I made pads from the stock HFM velours and some microsuede.  They are fantastic on my HE-560s.  The other pair I made, based off of the Q701 pads, have a slightly warmer, more closed signature (all by small amounts), and are excellent on my HE-500s.

So, yeah, I'm recommending full-on DIY 
biggrin.gif

But, for the less adventurous, the HM5 pads are inexpensive and could be worth a try.

Nov 10, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #1,673 of 1,710
After lots of experimenting, I've started on a new iteration of the HFM pad.

The goal is to produce a sound similar to the velour but with better comfort, less shoutyness and a little more musicality.

The basic concept is sticking the bottom half of a HFM velor pad (foam and plastic underside) under a FocusPad-A.

Preliminary findings are very promising. The frequency balance is right where I want it and the soundstage is big and beautiful. Just looking for a permanent solution for installation and fastening of the underside without wrecking every HFM velour pad in the known universe.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,674 of 1,710
I don't know if anybody cares, but, relating to my last post:

After several failed attempts and lots of ruined velour pads, I abandoned my attempts to combine the FocusPad-A and the velours. Instead, I ended up venting holes in the foam spacer ring from the leathers and tucking it under the plastic spacer ring of the FocusPad-A (not inside the pad, mind you). I used double sided tape to seal the front 3/4 of the pad and then back-vented it.

Combined with the Fuzzor mod. The sound is right where I want it now!

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,675 of 1,710
Does anybody make JergPads so I can buy a pair?

I'm really not comfortable with using a needle & thread.

I don't feel like buying a pair of velours and another pair of pleathers just to mess up.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,676 of 1,710
  Does anybody make JergPads so I can buy a pair?

I'm really not comfortable with using a needle & thread.

I don't feel like buying a pair of velours and another pair of pleathers just to mess up.

Same here, would love to buy a pair.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,678 of 1,710
I don't know if anybody cares, but, relating to my last post:

After several failed attempts and lots of ruined velour pads, I abandoned my attempts to combine the FocusPad-A and the velours. Instead, I ended up venting holes in the foam spacer ring from the leathers and tucking it under the plastic spacer ring of the FocusPad-A (not inside the pad, mind you). I used double sided tape to seal the front 3/4 of the pad and then back-vented it.

Combined with the Fuzzor mod. The sound is right where I want it now!

I posted a tutorial for this FocusPad-A mod, if anybody is interested: http://www.head-fi.org/t/748467/hansotek-s-focuspad-a-mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back