= Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 =
Jan 20, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,681 of 1,710

jergpads are originals, developed by jerg and modulor.  FocusPads are the official HFM (HiFiMAN) pads shipped with the HE-400i and HE-560.  HFM used some of the principles of the jergpads in the design of the FocusPads and FocusPad-As.  The two FocusPad variants use softer foam than the jergpads, which utilize parts from the two older HFM pads (velour and pleather).

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #1,683 of 1,710
  Yes, but i meant If there was a difference sonically.

Probably.  I've found that different materials, esp. the internal foam, change the acoustics.  How much depends on your ears and the cans to which they're attached.  In the end, there's only one way you're going to find out.  Given that modulor appears to be inactive, you can either make your own, or find someone who will sell you theirs.

I have a homemade pair of jergpads.  While almost assuredly not up to modulor's craftmanship, they're not half bad.  If you're interested, we can probably work out a deal.  Bear in mind that were you to make your own pair, it costs a minimum of $30 + shipping for the two older pads, not to mention the hours spent constructing them.  Still, I probably would charge much more than the FocusPads.

PM me, if you're interested.

Just checked head-direct.com.  Unless I missed them, the old velour pads are no longer available.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #1,684 of 1,710
I'm looking to get into the modding scene, and this one looks promising! I'm considering between doing this or going with the T50RPs and doing the more extensive modding with them. My goal is to model my sound similar to my last pair of headphones which were Shure SRH840s, but hopefully obtaining better detail and a little more subdued treble. Is there much merit in the price jump between the HE400 ($300 on amazon right now) and the T50RPs ($140)? I'm not sure whether orthodynamic drivers tend to improve with price or not, and that essentially is the main lure in stepping up in my mind. Thanks!

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #1,690 of 1,710
Does anybody know what part of the Jergpad mod helps with the upper mids dip on the HE-500?

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #1,693 of 1,710
Yes. Too bad too. He did a great job on the pads. His edition of the Jerg pads and the grill mod actually made my HE 400 listenable.
Several people made them successfully. The instructions in the beginning of the thread are good. Given the time and patience, it can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back