HiFiMan HE4XX
Oct 15, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,096 of 1,381
Are any of you experiencing any Quality issues with the HE-4XXs ?

Mine are nearing 2 years old and have been perfect in functionality and general build construction.

I've noticed late there are several comments on Drop of people complaining how poorly built they are and that is not even close to my experience.

Also they Dropped the price to $130 which if I was not looking to upgrade to a better Hifiman than the 400 and the 4XXs I own getting 1 more at that price would be a great purchase imho.

So have they performed as good for you as mine has for me ?

and if you have had an issue has Hifiman done right by you ?

When I have had issues with a companies product (Sony ) I give them a chance before dragging their good name through the mud to address an issue....

also if I've had a good experience I will let that be known as well
( Geshelli Lab's , Hifiman , Sennheiser etc )

Just curious as to how good yours have been .

Oct 15, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #1,097 of 1,381

Mine are nearing 2 years old and have been perfect in functionality and general build construction.

I've noticed late there are several comments on Drop of people complaining how poorly built they are and that is not even close to my experience.

Also they Dropped the price to $130 which if I was not looking to upgrade to a better Hifiman than the 400 and the 4XXs I own getting 1 more at that price would be a great purchase imho.

When I have had issues with a companies product (Sony ) I give them a chance before dragging their good name through the mud to address an issue....

I have a 4XX for close to 3 years. Regular use for about 5 months, fair amount of tough use outdoors and in car. Modded them... they are just fine, and at $130 - it's a great deal based on our experience.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #1,098 of 1,381

Mine have been great and my go-to cans for the most part. I got the newer (at the time) dual 3.5mm connectors in late summer 2018. I think they had been aware of the many construction problems up to that point and had improved the build quality with the newer, larger connector models, but that's purely anecdotal. No probs so far with mine, try to treat them gently. I think my price was $169.99 so that drop to $130 is pretty significant and a really good deal for a decent set of planars.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #1,099 of 1,381

I don't know why people are complaining, had them for a year and some change, sold a pair of m50x for them, A.T. I would say felt like a cheap Chinese bootleg, Sony was the same, all plastic everything, but these he4xx feel solid compared to Sony and audiotechnica, cant emagine people complaining about build, but when I was young (and drinking) I would go through headphones like toilet paper, they always broke, or the cable would go bad, when I quit drinking, the headphones begun lasting longer and longer (haven't had a pair break in 6 years) so I think, some people are sloppy, break them, and refuse to acknowledge that its there doing

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #1,100 of 1,381

I have had no problems with build quality but I don't really care for the sound. I have been trying to sell them for a couple of months, with no luck. And now that they have dropped the price, I am probably stuck with them.

Oh well, not exactly a life and death problem. Someday...

Shane D

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,101 of 1,381
I have had no problems with build quality but I don't really care the sound. I have been trying to sell them for a couple of months, with no luck. And now that they have dropped the price, I am probably stuck with them.

Oh well, not exactly a life and death problem. Someday...

Shane D

After I removed the dampening material I really have grown to love them with certain genre's of music like metal and prog and they are great for movies.

You might do better using them as a trade rather than a cash sale in order to get more value .

I'm presently listening to the Sundara's and so far they are a great upgrade to both of my 400 series Headphones.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #1,102 of 1,381
After I removed the dampening material I really have grown to love them with certain genre's of music like metal and prog and they are great for movies.

You might do better using them as a trade rather than a cash sale in order to get more value .

I'm presently listening to the Sundara's and so far they are a great upgrade to both of my 400 series Headphones.

I just bought some Beautiful pads for my Grado's. Stupid expensive, but the comfort and sound is awesome.
I am also trying out my new-to-me Vali 2 amp.

I have tried to trade them. Nobody wants to buy them or take them on trade. With the new price drop, I am screwed.

Of my six sets of 'phones, these come in a distant 6th. I am sure they are great for lots of people, just not me.

Shane D

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,103 of 1,381

Hey turbo what exactly did you remove dampening-wise? Every last bit of fabric on the cups aside from the pads? I removed the thin fabric "wafers" underneath the outside covers and thought it did sound more open/better highs but it kind of lost its sound stage.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #1,104 of 1,381
Hey turbo what exactly did you remove dampening-wise? Every last bit of fabric on the cups aside from the pads? I removed the thin "wafers" underneath the outside covers and thought it did sound more open/better highs but it kind of lost its sound stage.

I removed all the dampening material stuck to the grills and replaced the material that was on the pads to a thinner material from some no longer used pads ....I am still looking for a grill replacement but did not like them completely open .

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #1,105 of 1,381
It's a decent can. It's pretty rugged. There are a lot of used/new ones floating around. If you hate them or they are not in your basic rotation - then consider modifying them. Rear screens change to a more open, dynamat, some felt. Won't turn them into HE-500's, but it's good practice for modifying planars.

Oct 18, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #1,106 of 1,381
Pairing the HE-4XX with the new ultra low Distortion Geshelli Lab's Archel 2 Amplifier really brings out what this budget Planar is capable of.

With the new price of $130 it's hard to think of a better way to get into high quality audio any cheaper.

Oct 18, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #1,107 of 1,381
Pairing the HE-4XX with the new ultra low Distortion Geshelli Lab's Archel 2 Amplifier really brings out what this budget Planar is capable of.

With the new price of $130 it's hard to think of a better way to get into high quality audio any cheaper.

Thanks for the heads-up on this amp. I imagine it might do justice to the 6XX's or other high impedance/low sensitivity cans.

How do you find handling the gain on the Archel? I've read that it's a VERY high default gain that you have to lower at the source, like a DAC with gain control or in computer settings.

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #1,108 of 1,381
Thanks for the heads-up on this amp. I imagine it might do justice to the 6XX's or other high impedance/low sensitivity cans.

How do you find handling the gain on the Archel? I've read that it's a VERY high default gain that you have to lower at the source, like a DAC with gain control or in computer settings.
It's a 4X gain I believe and even with my most difficult Headphones I rarely have to go past 12 o'clock.
I'm presently listening to the Sundara's playing Led Zeppelin phisical Graffiti and it's glorious.....

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,109 of 1,381
It's a 4X gain I believe and even with my most difficult Headphones I rarely have to go passed 12 o'clock.
I'm presently listening to the Sundara's playing Led Zeppelin phisical Graffiti and it's glorious.....
The original Archel Pro was a bit more difficult which made owning a Enog2 with variable output nice but the new amp is much more friendly.

Oct 18, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,110 of 1,381
It's a 4X gain I believe and even with my most difficult Headphones I rarely have to go past 12 o'clock.

Thanks. So you don't find that if you listen on the 4XX's, just using the amp itself, no DAC gain control or Windows volume control, at a reasonable volume level, that you're getting a channel imbalance (until you turn it up a bit and it goes away)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back