HiFiMan HE4XX
Feb 2, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #347 of 1,381
Just ordered the Ori Lambskin, but I'm thinking I should have got the perforated ones instead? The conclusion from the pad-rolling reported in the thread is that the perforated ones with stuffing beneath the pads is the way to go. Is there anyone who've tried both combos and have the opposite opinion?

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #348 of 1,381
Just ordered the Ori Lambskin, but I'm thinking I should have got the perforated ones instead? The conclusion from the pad-rolling reported in the thread is that the perforated ones with stuffing beneath the pads is the way to go. Is there anyone who've tried both combos and have the opposite opinion?

I would try to get them to do a cancel/exchange since to my ears, damn near every aspect is improved with the perfs and some problems fixed, too (congested mids.) Pretty sure I'm the first so far, but I'm hoping more people try this perforated mod combo. I can honestly say that up until now I would constantly be looking for things to improve upon (in terms of mods or new purchases) with every can I've tried (Q701, He-400i, He-560, HD650, Focal Elear, HD800, etc.), but these finally have me sitting down to bliss-out and not feeling like I'm missing anything better. Sorry to be such a hype man for these, but I'm sure some will agree with this pad/mod combo.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #349 of 1,381
Well while the per
I would try to get them to do a cancel/exchange since to my ears, damn near every aspect is improved with the perfs and some problems fixed, too (congested mids.) Pretty sure I'm the first so far, but I'm hoping more people try this perforated mod combo. I can honestly say that up until now I would constantly be looking for things to improve upon (in terms of mods or new purchases) with every can I've tried (Q701, He-400i, He-560, HD650, Focal Elear, HD800, etc.), but these finally have me sitting down to bliss-out and not feeling like I'm missing anything better. Sorry to be such a hype man for these, but I'm sure some will agree with this pad/mod combo.

Hummm maybe we should Bill over at the other site (one that shall not be named) to try there perf pads on his set and measure them... I might spring for the perf pads to test myself we will see.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #350 of 1,381
Well while the per

Hummm maybe we should Bill over at the other site (one that shall not be named) to try there perf pads on his set and measure them... I might spring for the perf pads to test myself we will see.

Yes, this is an excellent notion. Let's make this happen. Granted the foam mod should be included as well.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #352 of 1,381
I've sent ZMF an email and asked if they can change the order. It's already marked as shipped, so my expectations are low... I'll probably just have to order the perforated ones the next time they drop on Massdrop. ^_^

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #353 of 1,381
I've sent ZMF an email and asked if they can change the order. It's already marked as shipped, so my expectations are low... I'll probably just have to order the perforated ones the next time they drop on Massdrop. ^_^

I wouldn't worry much about it tbh... The regular lamskin pads are the tried a true tested an measured solituon and they sound great. The perf ones are just being tested...

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #354 of 1,381
They were able to pull the package from outgoing and change the order to perforated, can't wait till they get here! ^_^
I've listened a lot to the cans this weekend, they're awesome after the grill mod! The mod made a huge difference, all but eliminating the treble peak at around 10 kHz to my ears. The bass feels tighter too, but I think that might be due to the less pushy treble. They're still a a bit too bright for thin mastered recordings after a few seconds of comparison to my HD-650. We'll see where the mods take them. :D

Feb 5, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #355 of 1,381
They were able to pull the package from outgoing and change the order to perforated, can't wait till they get here! ^_^
I've listened a lot to the cans this weekend, they're awesome after the grill mod! The mod made a huge difference, all but eliminating the treble peak at around 10 kHz to my ears. The bass feels tighter too, but I think that might be due to the less pushy treble. They're still a a bit too bright for thin mastered recordings after a few seconds of comparison to my HD-650. We'll see where the mods take them. :D

Glad to hear that you were able to exchange them in time. Remember that the foam mod is important to do with the perforated pads. I don’t feel as though I would appreciate them nearly as much without it.

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #358 of 1,381
I'll try the foam mod as soon as I get the pads. How many milimeters are you guys using, does the foam impact the sound other than by increasing the distance to the driver?

I'm using two 0.5cm sheets stacked for a total of 1cm. Pulling the cups slightly off my ears (while being careful to not have them go over the grills) to give a tad more distance doesn't seem to increase or lessen the low end so I'm more or less convinced that 1cm is the sweet spot. To compare, with no foam, lifting on the cups in the same manner while playing noticeably increased the low end response to the point that the foam seems to lock-in that positive difference.

Feb 6, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #360 of 1,381
So I received the perforated pads today I have to say, at first blush with the foam mod... I really like it. Over the grill + zmf non-perf pads it gives what seems to be a wider deeper sound-stage along with more bottom end... Not 100% sure about lower mids though, while they are not muddy they do maybe sound off, like they are elevated.. Would love to see a FR of this headphone with the perf pads.

20180131_135439.jpg
20180206_175608.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back