HiFiMan HE4XX
Jan 29, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #331 of 1,381
I think another member posted on these. I've had them 3-4 weeks. Certainly better than the RCA connections. Nothing to compare them to - so I think its the essentially doubling of power to the cans that does the trick. Built well, but sealed tight at both ends (good for keeping O2 out, bad for examination). I would like to test the silver - and look at the connections. But at this point I'll say for the price it gets you into the game cheap compared to SOTA audio nervosa prices.

Am I the only one who has no clue what you are talking about? Not trying to be rude but it seems you are talking about some cable or something but forgot to post the link or picture..

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #332 of 1,381
Where I can find your mod notes?

They're pretty straight forward. Get some wire mesh, I used an in tray. Get your nail under the plastic ring that hold the grills on and pull it off. Then you can just peel the dust filter off the existing grills and put them back. Or use the grills to cut circles from the wire mesh and install them. More details here.

I also made a circle of draw liner material and installed it under the pads. Like this:

yWp6Gyk.jpg

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #333 of 1,381
So I pulled the grills off the headphones to see if a grill mod would make a difference and it definitely helped tame the upper range... I went ahead and grabbed a couple wok strainers... Works for now looks better in person... May paint them don't know yet....

20180129_220115.jpg
20180129_220502.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #335 of 1,381

Found it at Hobby Lobby, but I’m sure all the craft stores have an equivalent. I used 2 sheets stacked in my mod for a thickness total of 1cm.

I also noticed your drivers looked alot cleaner than mine.. As mine has some sort of paper pulp glue on the magnets.. Did you clean yours or was I just unlucky? If you did clean them how did you go about it?

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #336 of 1,381
No cleaning required. Although it’s worth noting that this is my replacement 4XX that Massdrop sent after my original pair arrived totally DOA in both cups so perhaps they cherry picked these to avoid any further problems.

Hopefully more people will do this mod, because I’m not sure about you, but these are some seriously excellent cans after these alterations.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #337 of 1,381
Am I the only one who has no clue what you are talking about? Not trying to be rude but it seems you are talking about some cable or something but forgot to post the link o

You actually have to click the
Am I the only one who has no clue what you are talking about? Not trying to be rude but it seems you are talking about some cable or something but forgot to post the link or picture..

Quite so, didn't know you can't just cut and paste an ebay listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Balance-ca...350/253273274121?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

$55.

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #338 of 1,381
No cleaning required. Although it’s worth noting that this is my replacement 4XX that Massdrop sent after my original pair arrived totally DOA in both cups so perhaps they cherry picked these to avoid any further problems.

Hopefully more people will do this mod, because I’m not sure about you, but these are some seriously excellent cans after these alterations.

Took some time to clean up the magnets and painted my grills a glossy black.. Just need to pick up some foam at hobby lobby today.. Will report what I think when I get it.

20180131_120345.jpg

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #339 of 1,381
Took some time to clean up the magnets and painted my grills a glossy black.. Just need to pick up some foam at hobby lobby today.. Will report what I think when I get it.

I can see that the treble would be improved. But there is less material behind them then before, would bass be lost? Just curious, let us know. Thanks for sharing your views and work.

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #341 of 1,381

Found it at Hobby Lobby, but I’m sure all the craft stores have an equivalent. I used 2 sheets stacked in my mod for a thickness total of 1cm.

Went out to Hobby Lobby and was able to find the exact foam you were using. Was pretty easy to work with and I was able to make my cutouts without much trouble... Unfortunately I did not like what it did to the sound signature.. Seems to bump the bass up for sure but is also does something to the mids and just muddies things up for me.. Maybe the perforated pads are best with this mod.

BTW tested out of both my rigs.. One which is for work and the other for home (Computer using Jriver WASAPI --> Audio GD NFB11.28) and (Computer using Jriver WASAPI --> Mimby --> Magni 3)

Oh and if you are wondering I prefer the Mimby/Magni3 stack with the HE4XX's (although my HD6XX's sound better with the NFB11.28)

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #343 of 1,381
Went out to Hobby Lobby and was able to find the exact foam you were using. Was pretty easy to work with and I was able to make my cutouts without much trouble... Unfortunately I did not like what it did to the sound signature.. Seems to bump the bass up for sure but is also does something to the mids and just muddies things up for me.. Maybe the perforated pads are best with this mod.

BTW tested out of both my rigs.. One which is for work and the other for home (Computer using Jriver WASAPI --> Audio GD NFB11.28) and (Computer using Jriver WASAPI --> Mimby --> Magni 3)

Oh and if you are wondering I prefer the Mimby/Magni3 stack with the HE4XX's (although my HD6XX's sound better with the NFB11.28)

I completely agree with your listening notes on the non-perf Oris. The perforated pads really are the sweet spot with the grill mod + foam combo. I highly suggest that you get a pair at this point.

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #344 of 1,381
OK, my NOS HE-5 and HE-4XX sound better naked. I'm laid up with a MCL injury so I read away all afternoon on mods for the HE 4-5-6's. I was thinking an acoustically transparent speaker fabric that's not open mesh like post 1975 stuff but closed like the 50's and 60's stuff would keep the bits of metal that could get drawn towards the powerful magnets out, and not require any metal mesh over it, since none of us play hockey with our cans. If any extra damping is needed perhaps some thin cut damping tape could be pressed down onto the speaker fabric facing the driver.

Just thinking at this point, comments?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back