1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan HE4XX

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ProtegeManiac, Aug 2, 2017.
First

Back
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Next

Last
  1. kejar31
    Am I the only one who has no clue what you are talking about? Not trying to be rude but it seems you are talking about some cable or something but forgot to post the link or picture..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. redrich2000
    They're pretty straight forward. Get some wire mesh, I used an in tray. Get your nail under the plastic ring that hold the grills on and pull it off. Then you can just peel the dust filter off the existing grills and put them back. Or use the grills to cut circles from the wire mesh and install them. More details here.

I also made a circle of draw liner material and installed it under the pads. Like this:

yWp6Gyk.jpg

3. kejar31
    So I pulled the grills off the headphones to see if a grill mod would make a difference and it definitely helped tame the upper range... I went ahead and grabbed a couple wok strainers... Works for now looks better in person... May paint them don't know yet....

20180129_220115.jpg
    20180129_220502.jpg

maxxevv and Beau Cauchemar like this.
  4. Beau Cauchemar
    98CEA3AA-26C8-4CF5-9DFA-F1B154BBAAFD.jpeg
    Found it at Hobby Lobby, but I’m sure all the craft stores have an equivalent. I used 2 sheets stacked in my mod for a thickness total of 1cm.

kejar31 likes this.
  5. kejar31
    I also noticed your drivers looked alot cleaner than mine.. As mine has some sort of paper pulp glue on the magnets.. Did you clean yours or was I just unlucky? If you did clean them how did you go about it?

6. Beau Cauchemar
    No cleaning required. Although it’s worth noting that this is my replacement 4XX that Massdrop sent after my original pair arrived totally DOA in both cups so perhaps they cherry picked these to avoid any further problems.

Hopefully more people will do this mod, because I’m not sure about you, but these are some seriously excellent cans after these alterations.

7. bagwell359
    Quite so, didn't know you can't just cut and paste an ebay listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Balance-ca...350/253273274121?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

$55.

8. kejar31
    Took some time to clean up the magnets and painted my grills a glossy black.. Just need to pick up some foam at hobby lobby today.. Will report what I think when I get it.

20180131_120345.jpg

Beau Cauchemar likes this.
  9. bagwell359
    I can see that the treble would be improved. But there is less material behind them then before, would bass be lost? Just curious, let us know. Thanks for sharing your views and work.

10. Jerda
    its an improvement.
    Try yourself, it's easier than you would think to take out the grill

11. kejar31
    Went out to Hobby Lobby and was able to find the exact foam you were using. Was pretty easy to work with and I was able to make my cutouts without much trouble... Unfortunately I did not like what it did to the sound signature.. Seems to bump the bass up for sure but is also does something to the mids and just muddies things up for me.. Maybe the perforated pads are best with this mod.

BTW tested out of both my rigs.. One which is for work and the other for home (Computer using Jriver WASAPI --> Audio GD NFB11.28) and (Computer using Jriver WASAPI --> Mimby --> Magni 3)

Oh and if you are wondering I prefer the Mimby/Magni3 stack with the HE4XX's (although my HD6XX's sound better with the NFB11.28)

12. kejar31
    No bass loss here. Although the upper frequency's (upper mids and treble) is improved.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  13. Beau Cauchemar
    I completely agree with your listening notes on the non-perf Oris. The perforated pads really are the sweet spot with the grill mod + foam combo. I highly suggest that you get a pair at this point.

14. bagwell359
    OK, my NOS HE-5 and HE-4XX sound better naked. I'm laid up with a MCL injury so I read away all afternoon on mods for the HE 4-5-6's. I was thinking an acoustically transparent speaker fabric that's not open mesh like post 1975 stuff but closed like the 50's and 60's stuff would keep the bits of metal that could get drawn towards the powerful magnets out, and not require any metal mesh over it, since none of us play hockey with our cans. If any extra damping is needed perhaps some thin cut damping tape could be pressed down onto the speaker fabric facing the driver.

Just thinking at this point, comments?

15. dgindlespergerd
    Pulled the cloth off the grills, clarity is amazing now.

First

Back
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Next

Last