HiFiMan HE4XX
Dec 30, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #286 of 1,381
Just got mine today. Have not yet tried it out of my schiit stack as I am in office. But the bass (both sub-bass and punch) seems utterly lacking from my macbook pro even though the macbook is able to drive it volume levels that are loud enough. Also there is a lot of sibilance.
Does the bass / treble improve with burn-in ?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #287 of 1,381
Just got mine today. Have not yet tried it out of my schiit stack as I am in office. But the bass (both sub-bass and punch) seems utterly lacking from my macbook pro even though the macbook is able to drive it volume levels that are loud enough. Also there is a lot of sibilance. Bass levels are almost same as my HD598s. Hopefully these will be better with the magni.
Nope bass improves with pad change or EQ.

Dec 30, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #288 of 1,381
Running it off a mojo and bass is respectable. Just got mine in today. For me, 598 is like 10-15% less than the HE4xx

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #290 of 1,381
Just got mine today. Have not yet tried it out of my schiit stack as I am in office. But the bass (both sub-bass and punch) seems utterly lacking from my macbook pro even though the macbook is able to drive it volume levels that are loud enough. Also there is a lot of sibilance. Bass levels are almost same as my HD598s. Hopefully these will be better with the magni.

The bass sounds about normal to me, but then again I thought HD598s were somewhat bass heavy. :/

Seeing as I like heavy bass I'm wondering if I should start over lol.

Which headphone do HD598 owners prefer? I find the HE4XX to be "plasticky" with recessed mids but something about them just sounds better. As a back up for my secondary computer and video game consoles these seem to have great price/performance, though they're quiet.

But I live in a loud area and should just be honest with myself and sell everything but my IEMs, which tick all boxes except comfort. :/

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #292 of 1,381
I ran them through a proper amp and the bass is much much better - the MBP doesn't really drive them sufficiently.

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #293 of 1,381
I ran them through a proper amp and the bass is much much better - the MBP doesn't really drive them sufficiently.

Yes, although macbook was able to drive them to more than decent volume levels , the highs were really bad and there was no bass. They are better with amp. Also these seem to have improved substantially with burn-in. They are still somewhat sibilant.

Anybody tried them on LG V30 ? Can the V30 drive these ?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #295 of 1,381
I've ordered exactly one item from Massdrop and don't think I'll do it again. I don't think there's much in the way of QC going on when mass amounts of a product are made for a Massdrop order. However, I may be a tad biased because I'm the one who got a messed up product. My HE4xx arrived with a left channel problem. With them on my head and no music even playing the left side actually rattles when I move my head. With music playing there's fuzzy distortion on that side. I took off the pad and I'm not sure if the bent ring in the photo has anything to do with the problem but something definitely isn't right. Back they go. Pain in the ass and now I have to wait for who knows how long for a replacement.

IMG_1279.JPG

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #296 of 1,381
With stock pads, the treble can peak into some particularly uncomfortable levels.

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #297 of 1,381
Woooo!

I'm back! I just had to pick these up for my self! With Sennheiser launching the HD 58X at around $149 I jumped on that and figured it would only be fair to have a pair of these around for comparison when June gets here, till then they'll do excellent for testing the big wave of portable stuff I'm getting in as they don't need a LOT of power but they do like a little extra as most of you know

Jan 9, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #298 of 1,381
I've ordered exactly one item from Massdrop and don't think I'll do it again. I don't think there's much in the way of QC going on when mass amounts of a product are made for a Massdrop order. However, I may be a tad biased because I'm the one who got a messed up product. My HE4xx arrived with a left channel problem. With them on my head and no music even playing the left side actually rattles when I move my head. With music playing there's fuzzy distortion on that side. I took off the pad and I'm not sure if the bent ring in the photo has anything to do with the problem but something definitely isn't right. Back they go. Pain in the ass and now I have to wait for who knows how long for a replacement.

Exactly the same problem with the jammed driver that I have on my pair both left and right .... Just drop a letter to massdrop or to HiFiman and they will be gald to refund (massdrop) or replace (hifiman)

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #300 of 1,381
I have V20. Not enough power...

@djang, I was able to get it pretty loud ONLY if I first plugged in my Sennheiser HD 600 (300 Ohm) first into a 6.3mm female to 3.5mm male plug adapter into my V20 so that it would feed it more power, then unplug the 600 from that dongle and plug the HE-4XX into that dongle adapter instead, so that the V20 continued to push out at the power level it was giving the HD 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back