HiFiMan HE4XX
Aug 21, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #46 of 1,381
I pulled the trigger on these as well. I've never owned planar magnetics and only have very limited experience with them. I've been wanting to get a pair for a long while now and these popped up at an awesome price. Figured why not? I'm sure they'll be well worth the money. I am not at all happy about having to wait till December for them though. I just bought myself a Christmas present.

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #47 of 1,381
Seriously! These things sound FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like REALLY GREAT!!!!! It's a shame the ship date is December, but I'm enjoying the chance to listen to these. If only temporarily...
1bIMZPJ.jpg

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #48 of 1,381

Like REALLY GREAT!!!!! It's a shame the ship date is December, but I'm enjoying the chance to listen to these. If only temporarily...
1bIMZPJ.jpg

How did you get ahold of them so early?

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #49 of 1,381
Glad to hear more people raving about these as I’m eagerly anticipating my delivery in December. I even got ordered a custom cable and ZMF Ori pads for them ahead of their arrival.

Based on info/feedback on another forum, these are apparently really amazing after doing some tinkering (pads, grill mods, etc.). Seriously can’t wait. Post more impressions btw!

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #50 of 1,381
Glad to hear more people raving about these as I’m eagerly anticipating my delivery in December. I even got ordered a custom cable and ZMF Ori pads for them ahead of their arrival.

Based on info/feedback on another forum, these are apparently really amazing after doing some tinkering (pads, grill mods, etc.). Seriously can’t wait. Post more impressions btw!

I've got just the stock pair and I'm really thoroughly impressed as is! I've only compared it to my HE 4 and it's really a slightly less resolving but easier to drive more pleasurable headphone. Only wish I had a DT 880 to compare it to >.>, I guess for now my Nhoord Red will have to do

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #51 of 1,381

1bIMZPJ.jpg
Do they come with that case?

Oct 18, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #52 of 1,381
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #53 of 1,381
Feel free to chime in with more details. I’m sure there are quite a few others who are wanting to stoke the fire while we wait.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #54 of 1,381
Listening to a number of D.R.A.Ms songs tonight, trying to find a good one to test low Sub Bass, that said even for a Rap/HipHop song there's a lot to be resolved, he seems to like to layer vocals super quietly underneath the chorus.

My HE 4 grabs it, the HE 4XX sometimes does, sometimes does not... the HE 4XX is proving to be a more fun headphone, the low's are a bit humped not quite Linear like on the HE 4, but that slight hump adds something fun to these tracks

Though an important note, the HE 4XX is really a very inviting headphone! I can't say that it's dark but... when I volume match the my HE 4 and HE 4XX using Pink Noise... the HE 4 is ALWAYS more ENERGETIC, it almost sounds like it's SCREAMING at you... constantly. I checked the tracks I was listening to and each peaked at an average of 81.8 dB's, that said, the HE 4XX has some of the energy of the HE 4 without ever being SCREAMY, which I like especially at this price range, these D.R.A.M tracks aren't mastered super duper well and the HE 4 doesn't hide that... where as the 4XX does, which serves it's target audience well I think

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #55 of 1,381
Hey friends, just for clarification, the 4XX does not ship with a case. I suspect Mshenay got this pair as one of the loaners that's floating around, and they may have come to him with a case, but I can assure you, these do not come with a case by default.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #56 of 1,381
Hey friends, just for clarification, the 4XX does not ship with a case. I suspect Mshenay got this pair as one of the loaners that's floating around, and they may have come to him with a case, but I can assure you, these do not come with a case by default.

Oh........great.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #57 of 1,381
Interesting. I wonder how the ZMF lambskin pads and grill mod will affect this. The Focal Elears are about as dark/smooth as I care to go. Maybe the mods will eek out a bit more resolution while improving the control/consistency.

Did your loaners come with the Focus A pads or the regular Focus pads? It’s been noted that the early examples were accidentally sent out with the latter since they’re expected to ship with the As.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #58 of 1,381

Thank you will for Clarifying that! I assume'd since the Case was included in the loaner, it was also shipping with the product it self. I appreciate your pointing that out rather quickly tonight, I apologize for being un-aware of that but it's been duly noted

Interesting. I wonder how the ZMF lambskin pads and grill mod will affect this. The Focal Elears are about as dark/smooth as I care to go. Maybe the mods will eek out a bit more resolution while improving the control/consistency.

Did your loaners come with the Focus A pads or the regular Focus pads? It’s been noted that the early examples were accidentally sent out with the latter since they’re expected to ship with the As.

Corrected again, the pair that have the softer black felt on the outer most part of the pads that touches your face, in addition to the smaller perforations in the inner part of the pads. They also seem to be angled as well! These are the Focus Pads

Yea I saw some of the confusion there as well, I actually have my Stock HE 4 Pads in a drawer some where I think! Sadly my time with these isn't long, so I don't think I'll get around to doing a detailed Pad Rolling comparison. Though you'll find such comparisons in some of the other communities.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #59 of 1,381

Thanks for clarifying Will, no hard feelings I know you guys had to cut cost somewhere and I would rather it was the case and not the headphone.

On the plus side it looks like the VE cable I got from you guys for my HE4XX is shipping early, and the HD6XX as well! Great work, hopefully the HE4XX will ship a bit early. Fingers crossed!

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #60 of 1,381
Thanks for clarifying Will, no hard feelings I know you guys had to cut cost somewhere and I would rather it was the case and not the headphone.

On the plus side it looks like the VE cable I got from you guys for my HE4XX is shipping early, and the HD6XX as well! Great work, hopefully the HE4XX will ship a bit early. Fingers crossed!

Yea, hopefully they go out before schedule. We got our QC units yesterday (we have our partners send us some units off the production line as soon as they're ready) and they look great so everything is going according to plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back