HiFiMan HE4XX
Aug 6, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #31 of 1,381
Well, after years of tweeking, turns out it's the drivers of my t50rps... So I was literally ordering a new pair for mine....

Then I got the email for the 4xx.... Same price as new t50rps drivers sooooooooooo

Both xD

Pretty excited to get a trueish taste of othros. (Apperently my yh100s nor my open alphas count)

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #32 of 1,381
I'm just curious on which model of 400 it takes most after. Tyll seems to think it's most similar to the 400i. Idk if we'll ever get a successor to the original 400 though xD

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #34 of 1,381
Aug 7, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #35 of 1,381
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #37 of 1,381
Thanks! Would you recommend that I invest in a cord like this? I've read that the pono's potential isn't fully tapped until you do balanced output.

Yes, and absolutely! Pono works best balanced.

But until someone has the HE4XX, it is hard to make further comment. I recall enjoying HE400i more through the balanced Pono outputs. But it wasn't as large as the delta, single-ended into HD650, versus balanced into HD650.

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #39 of 1,381
No one really knows what these sound like yet except Tyll https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones
so we can't say how good they are for the price yet (though Massdrop has a pretty good track record with its collaborations). So between lack of reviews, your budget and sound preference, I can't tell you if you should jump on them. If they are good though, $169 will be a steal :p
TL;DR YMMV
i've never had planars before...are these decent sounding for the price...or better to spend 1k or so
to really step things up in SQ?

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #40 of 1,381
I also joined the drop today. Already waiting till December for HD6XX so why not another? I'll be doing all the popular mods to my 6xx to keep my 650s stock. Looking forward to having a hifiman planar in my lineup.
+1!! Same here..Holidays are already food to me, HD6xx and now the HE4XX...Nice!!

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #41 of 1,381
I don't have a planar headphone yet and $170 is a small gamble on a headphone I have never heard before. Not sure if I should join this drop or not :p

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #44 of 1,381
I've been considering getting in on this, but I'm wondering how much of an upgrade it will be compared to my K550 MkIIs. I also highly value isolation and soundstage. Obviously these have no isolation, and from what I've read planar magnetics don't have great soundstage - I suspect it's less than the K550 despite being open-back.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #45 of 1,381
How would these pair with a Schiit Magni/Modi Uber 2 stack?

I have my HD650s which I love, but I can't find an answer as to whether these would be worth getting as my first pair of planar.

I was in the same boat. Decided to jump ship, and get em without thinking. Guess my tax return got to my head. :p

With that in mind, I'd assume the Schiit Stack should work just fine with these cans. Looking to get new uhhh... "casual cans" for more casual listening as I've started finding my Audio-Technicas a bit harsh for my liking the past few months. Personally I'm quite excited since these will be my first planar magnetic headphones. I remember when I joined the community that these headphones were fairly pie in the sky expensive and difficult to drive. Now 170, and can be run of potatoes. Lovely age we live in.

Also in the eternal words of Tom and Donna, "Treat yo self."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back