Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jul 2, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #1,831 of 5,189
I still have it and live it. I just upgraded to the new MDx digital board and it took the M3h to even a higher level. I know it will sound like a cliche but it is true, I listened to songs that I have listened hundreds of times and heard details I have not heard before. Also the air between instruments and vocals is greater providing a more 3D soundstage presentation.

A good friend of mine just got one without the headphones option and his comment is “The M3 plays at a much higher level that it’s price”.
Just curious, regarding your observations about the sound improvement with the MDx board, was that with your HE-1000se out the M3h or your Wells Audio Enigma?

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #1,832 of 5,189
The HE1000se sound their best when driven by the ecp DSHA-3F.
Midrange is the best I have heard.
[/QUOTE
i’ve been looking for a great solid solid state amplifier to drive my HE-1000se. I understand the DSHA-3F is no longer made. I guess it’s a one-man operation. Is there new a replacement amp that’s as good or better?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #1,834 of 5,189
Just curious, regarding your observations about the sound improvement with the MDx board, was that with your HE-1000se out the M3h or your Wells Audio Enigma?
The improvement is out of my 3 units (M3h, M1SE and M21).
I use the headphones output out of the M3h.
The M1SE feeds my Enigma, PrimaLuna and RSA A-10 Thunderbolt.
The M21 feeds my pair of M28 in my speakers system and out of the RCA to my MHA-100.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 15, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #1,835 of 5,189
crap, the right driver seem to have died on me. No sound with different amps and switching cables. Haven’t touched the HE1000se for a few days and found the issue when trying to wind down :frowning2:

I think it’s still under warranty.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #1,836 of 5,189
crap, the right driver seem to have died on me. No sound with different amps and switching cables. Haven’t touched the HE1000se for a few days and found the issue when trying to wind down :frowning2:

I think it’s still under warranty.

that sucks, this is still one reason that keeps me away from HFM :frowning2:

all the best, hope ya get it rectified soon..

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:46 AM Post #1,837 of 5,189
that sucks, this is still one reason that keeps me away from HFM :frowning2:

all the best, hope ya get it rectified soon..
Good thing the HE1000 series have 3 years warranty. Will just have to send it in.

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #1,839 of 5,189
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #1,841 of 5,189
Good thing the HE1000 series have 3 years warranty. Will just have to send it in.

When you send them in, try to keep the pads if you can - a spare pair will come in handy should you later suffer the HUPS issue.
When I sent my SE in, I was told to hang onto the pads/cables/box/manual. In return I received a brand new boxed SE, with pads, but no cables or manual. Current instructions may vary.

Based on informal, subjective observation, the SE seems to have more driver failures than earlier versions. It's not clear if this due to failed internal connections or the drivers themselves.

(HUPS = Hifiman's Unravelling Pad Syndrome. Caused by variable quality control of the cheap glued design). If you do suffer HUPS one day, get a replacement pair under warranty as well - you can never have too many spare HEK pads :), and they're ridiculously over-priced (for the quality of parts) if you have to purchase them

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,842 of 5,189
I was lucky to get three spare pairs from HiFiMan, as I was heavily affected by the pad deterioration syndrome. Since then I had no issue with the pads anymore. Maybe washing my ears more frequently also helped. :confused:

Jul 15, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #1,843 of 5,189
I believe they fixed the pad issues when they revised their headphones to have the cloth permanently attached to the driver housing instead of the pads.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #1,844 of 5,189
When you send them in, try to keep the pads if you can - a spare pair will come in handy should you later suffer the HUPS issue.
When I sent my SE in, I was told to hang onto the pads/cables/box/manual. In return I received a brand new boxed SE, with pads, but no cables or manual. Current instructions may vary.

Based on informal, subjective observation, the SE seems to have more driver failures than earlier versions. It's not clear if this due to failed internal connections or the drivers themselves.

(HUPS = Hifiman's Unravelling Pad Syndrome. Caused by variable quality control of the cheap glued design). If you do suffer HUPS one day, get a replacement pair under warranty as well - you can never have too many spare HEK pads :), and they're ridiculously over-priced (for the quality of parts) if you have to purchase them

I haven’t experienced that the SE have more driver failures than earlier versions. How many SE driver failures do you know about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back