Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #1,862 of 5,215
I've been lurking this thread for long enough and it's time to contribute. After months of testing different eq settings for the SE I have finally settled on the following (using peace gui)

-1db at 6.5khz. Q=1.41. peak filter
-2db at 12.5khz. Q=0.92 peak filter

I find these slight adjustments tame the treble while retaining the SE's sound signature. Previously I went for big cuts of 4-6db at these frequencies but it ruined what made this headphone special. The sound stage is deeper and the bass has more impact due to being able to listen at louder volumes. Previously I would have used the SE for classical, orchestral and only the most well-recorded music and had my verite for everything else. Now I can listen to almost anything with my SE.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #1,864 of 5,215
I don't have much time to post these days but just thought I'd throw in a data point. I like the HE1000SE with the Silver Dragon nearly as much as the Susvara (same cable). It actually does better for some genres like hip-hop, pop, and some electronic. Might also be better for movies.
Some stream of thought comparisons below:

-Susvara is more balanced/neutral with a greater emphasis on mids, so vocals sound more upfront and larger. This also makes it easier to pick out microdetails in the mids (but I don't think it's due to superior resolution). I don't find any part of the Susvara sound signature untoward and it lends itself better to higher-volume listening.

-HE1000SE has more bass (more than neutral with the stock cable) and slightly more mid/upper treble, a taller overall sound/headstage and it sounds more distant in contrast to the Susvara's more upfront presentation.

-Susvara is a little more open-sounding. It feels like it has less material obstructing the drivers from the rear, which actually seems to be the case.

-Susvara has less bass but it punches harder. I find the treble to be more revealing and here I do feel there is a resolution advantage. Susvara also changes a little more from recording to recording, ie. it's more transparent overall.

-Speed is similar with the Susvara being a little faster (sharper attack and quicker decay). Macro and microdynamics (other than in the bass) seem pretty even, as does bass/treble extension.

-HE is much easier to drive, but the Susvara seems to scale up better. Once I get the EX-M1+ (on the way), I can add more info on this.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #1,865 of 5,215
I don't have much time to post these days but just thought I'd throw in a data point. I like the HE1000SE with the Silver Dragon nearly as much as the Susvara (same cable). It actually does better for some genres like hip-hop, pop, and some electronic. Might also be better for movies.

-Susvara is more balanced/neutral with a greater emphasis on mids, so vocals sound more upfront and larger. This also makes it easier to pick out microdetails in the mids (but I don't think it's due to superior resolution). I don't find any part of the Susvara sound signature untoward and it lends itself better to higher-volume listening.

-HE1000SE has more bass (more than neutral with the stock cable) and slightly more mid/upper treble, a taller overall sound/headstage and it sounds more distant in contrast to the Susvara's more upfront presentation.

-Susvara is a little more open-sounding. It feels like it has less material obstructing the drivers from the rear, which actually seems to be the case.

-Susvara has less bass but it punches harder. I find the treble to be more revealing and here I do feel there is a resolution advantage. Susvara also changes a little more from recording to recording, ie. it's more transparent overall.

-Speed is similar with the Susvara being a little faster (sharper attack and quicker decay). Macro and microdynamics (other than in the bass) seem pretty even, as does bass/treble extension.

-HE is much easier to drive, but the Susvara seems to scale up better. Once I get the EX-M1+ (on the way), I can add more info on this.
Impeccable observations, which line up exactly with my experiences! Good ears sir. I may add that indeed HEKse portrays significantly more height, but Susvara really does project depth better, and has better crossfeed/ center stage.

One of the HE1000 series’ main weakness is the lack of center focus.

3C77B316-CCA0-4976-9D32-5D13EA5DD536.jpeg

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #1,866 of 5,215

not sure about that...honestly, i felt the other way around...

Jul 20, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #1,867 of 5,215
Why is no 3rd party making pads for the big hifimans?

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,870 of 5,215
Would love Dekoni to take a shot at the HEKs. Let's ask the Shrugminator.

@Evshrug
What, the HEK?
:wink:

Never say never, but also not very soon. I don’t know yet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #1,871 of 5,215
why? whats wrong with the HE1000se pads? I thought its pretty durable and comfy...

Some people (including me) complained about annoying pressure buildup around the temples. Also some durability issue in the past.

Sound wise idk, I will never say no to tinkering. My HEKse definitely need one, but I EQ so...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #1,872 of 5,215
why? whats wrong with the HE1000se pads? I thought its pretty durable and comfy...
They feel cheap flimsy and are not durable. I had my HE1000 pads literally disintegrate after 1.5 years.
Dekoni makes worlds better pads, and for the same price.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #1,873 of 5,215
They feel cheap flimsy and are not durable. I had my HE1000 literally disintegrate. Dekoni makes worlds better pads.
How many years did you have them?
My Edition X pads, which should be the same still were in great condition after 4 years.

Jul 21, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #1,874 of 5,215
My pads came with dimples so they do feel cheap I’ve seen pads coming apart. So the fake leather is very thin. I’ve notice that with a beak in seal bass becomes better.

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #1,875 of 5,215
Impeccable observations, which line up exactly with my experiences! Good ears sir. I may add that indeed HEKse portrays significantly more height, but Susvara really does project depth better, and has better crossfeed/ center stage.

One of the HE1000 series’ main weakness is the lack of center focus.

3C77B316-CCA0-4976-9D32-5D13EA5DD536.jpeg

Definitely agree with the bolded. I forgot to mention that. My HE1000SE has very good center focus though. I'm wondering if there's a difference in pad wear etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back