Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jul 24, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #1,876 of 5,215
Definitely agree with the bolded. I forgot to mention that. My HE1000SE has very good center focus though. I'm wondering if there's a difference in pad wear etc?

Susvara is more 3D, more holographic and have better image.

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #1,877 of 5,215
^
When you EQ HEKse treble peaks you enhance all of those attributes :)

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #1,878 of 5,215
What is your EQ profile?

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #1,879 of 5,215
What is your EQ profile?

I am traveling right now so I can't share it as it is, but I posted my old EQ a while back in this thread and I will just mention what I changed

So it's the below except:
  • I applied a slightly wide negative peak filter around 190hz (-2dB) as I find some drums to be hard sounding sometimes. idk if the measurements shows it or not but it bothers me a lot when it happens.
  • I applied a wide positive peak filter around ~2khz by 2dB < this one is not necessary tbh, it's noticeable with pianos.
  • I reduced the 8khz boost to be just +3dB
  • I think I changed the position of the 13khz peak to 14khz, I am not sure. But I reduced the peak to just -5dB.
That's with the monoprice THX 788, When I am using the Ultrasonic Oblivion I adjust the 6.5khz and 14khz peaks to be -3dB and -4dB respectively. Also don't forget to adjust the pregain settings.

hekse-eq.png

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #1,880 of 5,215
Definitely agree with the bolded. I forgot to mention that. My HE1000SE has very good center focus though. I'm wondering if there's a difference in pad wear etc?
Actually you’re right, the 1000’s have less center focus compared to Susvara, but HEKse is improved in that (and general image coherence) compared to the v1 and v2 :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #1,881 of 5,215
I am traveling right now so I can't share it as it is, but I posted my old EQ a while back in this thread and I will just mention what I changed

So it's the below except:
  • I applied a slightly wide negative peak filter around 190hz (-2dB) as I find some drums to be hard sounding sometimes. idk if the measurements shows it or not but it bothers me a lot when it happens.
  • I applied a wide positive peak filter around ~2khz by 2dB < this one is not necessary tbh, it's noticeable with pianos.
  • I reduced the 8khz boost to be just +3dB
  • I think I changed the position of the 13khz peak to 14khz, I am not sure. But I reduced the peak to just -5dB.
That's with the monoprice THX 788, When I am using the Ultrasonic Oblivion I adjust the 6.5khz and 14khz peaks to be -3dB and -4dB respectively. Also don't forget to adjust the pregain settings.

hekse-eq.png

This is interesting for a couple reasons:

1) It's similar to how I would EQ the headphones (though maybe not that drastically) so our hearing is congruent and,
2) I've heard this to be true for years but the EQ requirement changes based on ancillary equipment. So people asking for others' EQ profiles may not get the same effect as the provider.

As an aside, I did all the previous comparisons without EQ (even though I often use EQ) so my impressions are hopefully meaningful for others.

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #1,882 of 5,215
Just wondering if others find this and if i should be a little concerned.

when swapping cables and connecting the cables to the hp one side makes a louder and firmer sounding click than the other.

No issue re connectivity or cables staying there but just on my mind

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #1,883 of 5,215
Just wondering if others find this and if i should be a little concerned.

when swapping cables and connecting the cables to the hp one side makes a louder and firmer sounding click than the other.

No issue re connectivity or cables staying there but just on my mind
@TeamHiFiMAN

Aug 12, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #1,884 of 5,215
HE1000SE are incredibly easy to drive! I decided to plug them into my work laptop where many other headphones barely made a noise and these sound good with lots of volume! Pleasant surprise!

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #1,885 of 5,215
HE1000SE are incredibly easy to drive! I decided to plug them into my work laptop where many other headphones barely made a noise and these sound good with lots of volume! Pleasant surprise!
i’ve enjoyed mine out of everything that I’ve plugged them into from my desktop setup to my kann cube to my ipad mini and probably my iphone too, but i cant remember if I’ve used that or just my ipad.
it is very good out of these “lesser” devices. More so than my empyreans and utopia in these scenarios - a big reason to not sell them

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #1,886 of 5,215
Hi, guys. I am still deciding whether to get Arya or HE1000se. For those of you who have tried both or upgraded, what is the most important difference that you noticed?
Also I am currently using a Sony NW ZX 300 which can output 200mW - can I get the most out of this headphone without an amp? ( yes, I don't have an amp - quite new to this hobby). Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,887 of 5,215
Hi, guys. I am still deciding whether to get Arya or HE1000se. For those of you who have tried both or upgraded, what is the most important difference that you noticed?
Also I am currently using a Sony NW ZX 300 which can output 200mW - can I get the most out of this headphone without an amp? ( yes, I don't have an amp - quite new to this hobby). Thanks in advance for your input.

Why not get something more efficient than both? Focal Clear/Utopia will suit your amp better.

The Arya are more tonally correct but harder to drive. The HE1000se are faster and tighter but need EQ imo.

Aug 15, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #1,888 of 5,215
I own the hekse and have briefly demoed the arya. I found the arya was a great entertaining hp.
the hekse detail and precision is very very good.

and the hekse is great with everything I have tried it with. From v281 and taurus to kann cube to ipad to iphone.

Very easy to drive and will already be a great headphone if changing/upgrading gear as you go

but they are more expensive of course. I have no regrets on having bought the hekse

ps you can always buy a cheaper hekv2 2nd hand and look at uografing to hekse for $1k through hifiman (i‘m guessing they are still doing that)

edit: i just saw i posted sonething similar before

TL;DR : see my post earlier on this page - oops :)

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #1,889 of 5,215
Why not get something more efficient than both? Focal Clear/Utopia will suit your amp better.

The Arya are more tonally correct but harder to drive. The HE1000se are faster and tighter but need EQ imo.
You have both Utopia and He1000 ? I heard that they are quite different. There are some that felt Utopia have a small soundstage for its price but no such complaints about He1000. Is that true for you?

Aug 15, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #1,890 of 5,215
I own the hekse and have briefly demoed the arya. I found the arya was a great entertaining hp.
the hekse detail and precision is very very good.

and the hekse is great with everything I have tried it with. From v281 and taurus to kann cube to ipad to iphone.

Very easy to drive and will already be a great headphone if changing/upgrading gear as you go

but they are more expensive of course. I have no regrets on having bought the hekse

ps you can always buy a cheaper hekv2 2nd hand and look at uografing to hekse for $1k through hifiman (i‘m guessing they are still doing that)

edit: i just saw i posted sonething similar before

TL;DR : see my post earlier on this page - oops :)
Wow, so not much difference between your Kann Cube and iphone? I was also half thinking of upgrading my DAP to the Cube or the iBasso dx220 max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back