Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jun 21, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #1,801 of 5,215
Utopia? eww... not even in this league...tiring mids, brighter than HD800. This headphone base solely on hype, nothing else.
The amp pairing of the HD800 as well as pad used will make a difference. The first 2 times I owned the HD800, I couldn’t stand how bright it was due to using SS amps. The stock pad I could never get good seal so bass always leaked. I switched to lamb skin pads and tube amp on my 3rd time owning it and it made a huge difference in taming the overbearing highs and lack of bass.

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,802 of 5,215
Utopia? eww... not even in this league...tiring mids, brighter than HD800. This headphone base solely on hype, nothing else.
You are bugging! Utopia is in the conversation for best headphone out there years after it was released. It’s not always my favorite headphone but it does more things well than anything else I’ve heard except for the Abyss 1266 tc, and it would be the only headphone I’d keep in my collection if I could have only one. To each their own I guess but to say it’s only hype is waaayyyy off base in my book.

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #1,803 of 5,215
...The Utopia is slightly warmer than the SE with added bass quantity, and less detail in higher frequencies...
Not what I hear — your amp/my amp?

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,805 of 5,215
Perhaps could be amp/tube difference
Well, neither swapping transformers in my DSHA-3F nor tube swaps in my Liquid Platinum can make my Utopia seem to have more bass quantity than HEKse — and it’s not close. I’d have to compare 3F/Amorphous ==> HEK to LP/Siemens CCa ==> Utopia for it to be close.

But I’ve never heard WA22, so ...

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #1,806 of 5,215
Well, neither swapping transformers in my DSHA-3F nor tube swaps in my Liquid Platinum can make my Utopia seem to have more bass quantity than HEKse — and it’s not close. I’d have to compare 3F/Amorphous ==> HEK to LP/Siemens CCa ==> Utopia for it to be close.

But I’ve never heard WA22, so ...
Perhaps it’s the dynamic and tube pairing that does bass well compared to planars.

Jun 21, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,807 of 5,215
My VO should be arriving in the next week and this should complete my collection.

When the VO arrives and they're suitably burned in, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the VO vs HEKse using your tube amp. I'll be using a Mogwai SE and I'm trying to decide between those two headphones.

Jun 21, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,808 of 5,215
When the VO arrives and they're suitably burned in, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the VO vs HEKse using your tube amp. I'll be using a Mogwai SE and I'm trying to decide between those two headphones.
I think you would be happy with both the VO and SE. The VO and VC aren’t too drastically different based on what I’ve read. The SE is completely different from the VC.

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #1,810 of 5,215
You are bugging! Utopia is in the conversation for best headphone out there years after it was released. It’s not always my favorite headphone but it does more things well than anything else I’ve heard except for the Abyss 1266 tc, and it would be the only headphone I’d keep in my collection if I could have only one. To each their own I guess but to say it’s only hype is waaayyyy off base in my book.

It could be debated if Utopia is one of the best headphone out there, or not :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. What I can say is that with the Moon 430HA it sounded like @Law87 said. With the Cayin 300 HA it was a totally different sound. Much fuller, more organic, smooth, open and fun.

My take away experience – matching headphone and amp is always crucial and with some headphones it can make a night and day difference.

Jun 22, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #1,811 of 5,215
Have anyone listen to the Bricasti M3h with DAC/amp and Network Card?

1592820133393.png

https://www.moon-audio.com/bricasti-design-m3h-dac-amp-review

https://www.moon-audio.com/bricasti-design-m3-dac.html

Edit: Terry London’s review

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/bricasti-design-m3-dac-by-terry-london/

and @musicman159 impressions with the SE

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/bricasti-m3

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #1,813 of 5,215
I own both, the Utopia & 800 and wouldn't have a clue as to what you're talking about listening to either in my system. :)

what was your gear? HD800 sound great on certain tube amp but sound horrid on certain solid state, I picked Beyer T1 because of it. I heard the Utopia on a Solid state, aggressive mids and what I consider the bass to be somewhat bloated.

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #1,814 of 5,215
what was your gear? HD800 sound great on certain tube amp but sound horrid on certain solid state, I picked Beyer T1 because of it. I heard the Utopia on a Solid state, aggressive mids and what I consider the bass to be somewhat bloated.
My current gear is listed in my signature which is now located under 'about' since the new platform.
The bass on my Utopia is tight, clean & fast. I've also never experienced "bloated bass" while driving my Utopia with anything. Maybe there was an issue with the unit you heard?

Jun 23, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #1,815 of 5,215
My current gear is listed in my signature which is now located under 'about' since the new platform.
The bass on my Utopia is tight, clean & fast. I've also never experienced "bloated bass" while driving my Utopia with anything. Maybe there was an issue with the unit you heard?
I like the Utopia pairing with my Grace M902 amp better than the WA22. Can confirm no bloated bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back