Hifiman HE1000-SE
Jun 1, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,771 of 5,189
Just swapped in the Final Audio D8000 stock cable. Pleasantly surprised. Adds liquidity, cohesion and a welcome bit of midrange warmth/thickness to the HE1000se.
Anyone have the specs for the Final cable?
Currently running with Lenovo G-50, Qutest and Lehmann BCL.
Tidal Masters: Lee Ritenour, Rhythm Sessions [Deluxe Edition], "Punta Del Soul"

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #1,772 of 5,189
I owned the HEKse for about 7 months and upgraded to Susvara which are my true endgame until I get an HE1 lol!

Here's my ranking of top tier headphones I've heard or owned as with an added tonality summary. Owned is bolded:

HE1: "Real" and holographic like nothing out there. One single coherent blanket of cohesive sound/ nothing in your head.

Susvara: Near perfect tonally/ ever so slightly bright with ever so slightly too fast bass

Shangri-La Prototype: Ethereal, speaker like, but brighter and less convincing tonality compared to the two above.

HD800: Natural sound, great bass after EQ, tamed highs but still have dynamic and attack (I use Oratory1990's Harman Target curve, and add a bit more bass boost to his shelf up to 100hz. I will never ever listen to a stock HD800 again, it's crap.) HD800 is legitimate. I sold these in favor of a Focal Clear 3 years ago because I never dared change their tuning as an anti-EQ person. Turns out I got around to EQ'ing these and 100% vouch for it. They outshine Susvara sometimes even!

HEKse: Neutral/Bright. Trickle down of Susvara, more stage height and width (diffuse) lacks the same quality bass and especially grainier treble. Still my choice for end game performance and gear flexibility for price. Needs treble smoothing. I feel like HiFiMAN wanted to makes an HD800-like phone but with punchier, cleaner and more texture bass. Sadly treble is grainier than HD800.

Utopia: Neutral/bright. Sounds super focused and coherent, dynamics for days, transparent, punchy with amazing holography and proportionate staging in all axis'. Sadly stage width isn't as wide as competitors, but is more coherent than most regardless. Metallic timbre sometimes even on my system. I'd call this the best end-game for a single headphone user, paired up with a nice tube amp like Cayin HA-300A for example.

HE6 4 Screw: Natural/aggressive. Some of the best and most authoritative bass and treble in a planar, much more grain-free up high vs all HiFiMAN's besides Susvara. More open and diffuse than HE6 6 screw, cleaner bass and image. Sounds more like a dynamic or e-stat.

SR007MKI: Neutral/smooth: Not a e-stat guy at all because they have no tactility in bass, but these are the sweetest and most natural stax I've heard.

SR009(S): Neutral/bright and neutral/bright w/ bass boost. Impressive with great recordings, detail monsters. Great imaging. Heard with KGSSHV. Has no soul, has no tactility and visceral impact.

HE6 6 Screw: Natural/aggressive. Punchier bass and edgier treble vs 4 screw. Much easier to drive, more focused image with better depth projection. Really in your face and fun headphone, treble is unpolished and sometimes too metallic.

LCD4: Natural/dark. These have some of the best staging in sub 5k headphones. Very open in all 3 axis, nearly as wide and high as HD800 which caught me off guard. Not my preferred tonality, but it's done fantastically and allows for musical enjoyment with almost any music... provided you stick to this single headphone and calibrate to it in a listening session. Phenomenal bass, a bit too lingering imho, but the best after Susvara, outperforming HE6 except in visceral slam.

HEKv2: Natural/holographic. I think the tuning of this headphone is amazing. It sounds analog, music sounds real, barely ever glare-y or digital. Issue with this generation of Hifiman is that it's a bit too soft and lacking tightness and dynamics. Bass is more bloomy than tight. HEKse remedies to that, but sacrifices the stage width and more natural timbre of HEKv2 in favor of the more focused and punchy attack.

K1000 Bass Heavy: Neutral. Most "neutral" headphone I've ever heard. Helps that the bass rolls off super early lol. But these, like the LCD4, sound incredible if you have a listening session with just it. Resolution and transparency is barely any better than my HD580 Jubilee, but the staging is addictive and satisfying with the right type of music, and tonality is near perfect with music that doesn't have a lot of low bass. It still handles bass superbly until 80hz, it's just not visceral. Can be fun with a subwoofer, but requires careful calibration and always sounds slower with a sub.

The rest: Arya, Empyrean, Clear, LCD3, HD580J, HD600, HE500,Sundara, HD650, etc. Not elaborating as I'm tired of writing. I can give my take on them if you guys care/ ask me :)

My rig is Singxer SU-1->Holo Spring KTE->Rebuilt and modernised McIntosh MC225. Chain sounds natural/neutral with neutral bass, and lots of airiness and no digital glare (tonal smoothing of R2R DAC).

Fantastic post! Please elaborate on the Arya!

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,775 of 5,189
With full warranty/dealer support?
There are currently two HE1000 v2 on Head-Fi: one for $2231 CAD [but in pretty used condition] and another for $2432 CAD [in new condition, but from a private seller].
. . . pair on eBay for $2299 CAD with a Cardas Clear cable . . .
Ultimately, it's your call.
It's tough sometimes, like buying stocks.

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #1,776 of 5,189
There are currently two HE1000 v2 on Head-Fi: one for $2231 CAD [but in pretty used condition] and another for $2432 CAD [in new condition, but from a private seller].
Yea I buy stocks a lot so I understand. Yes it's full warranty the shop has had them 2 years. Hmmmmm

Jun 4, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,778 of 5,189
The search function on here is not the best. Do you have links to the two for sale on headfi?

Jun 5, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #1,782 of 5,189
Fantastic post! Please elaborate on the Arya!
Arya: Natural/ Holographic: I owned these up until 2 weeks ago, and am fully going by memory, but I’d like to say these are sandwiched right in between HEKv1 and v2. I wish I could do a 3-way A/B to confirm, but I would say they are closer to the v2 from memory. Very versatile and well tuned with diffuse stage, great height. Dynamics are still good but softer than a lot of the top headphones. I feel like the center stage is a bit more mushy than what I recall of HEKv2, so in that sense, it’s perhaps more leaning towards the smoother v1. What I wrote about HEKV2 applies to Arya very well.
Yes great synposis @dleblanc343, concise and agreeable from my view.
Thank you, I’ve noticed your posts on here many times, and truly believe we have similar tastes in gear and assess them similarly :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #1,783 of 5,189
I owned the HEKse for about 7 months and upgraded to Susvara which are my true endgame until I get an HE1 lol!

Here's my ranking of top tier headphones I've heard or owned as with an added tonality summary. Owned is bolded:

HE1: "Real" and holographic like nothing out there. One single coherent blanket of cohesive sound/ nothing in your head.

Susvara: Near perfect tonally/ ever so slightly bright with ever so slightly too fast bass

Shangri-La Prototype: Ethereal, speaker like, but brighter and less convincing tonality compared to the two above.

HD800: Natural sound, great bass after EQ, tamed highs but still have dynamic and attack (I use Oratory1990's Harman Target curve, and add a bit more bass boost to his shelf up to 100hz. I will never ever listen to a stock HD800 again, it's poor.) HD800 is legitimate. I sold these in favor of a Focal Clear 3 years ago because I never dared change their tuning as an anti-EQ person. Turns out I got around to EQ'ing these and 100% vouch for it. They outshine Susvara sometimes even!

HEKse: Neutral/Bright. Trickle down of Susvara, more stage height and width (diffuse) lacks the same quality bass and especially grainier treble. Still my choice for end game performance and gear flexibility for price. Needs treble smoothing. I feel like HiFiMAN wanted to makes an HD800-like phone but with punchier, cleaner and more textured bass. Sadly treble is grainier than HD800.

Utopia: Neutral/bright. Sounds super focused and coherent, dynamics for days, transparent, punchy with amazing holography and proportionate staging in all axis'. Sadly stage width isn't as wide as competitors, but is more coherent than most regardless. Metallic timbre sometimes even on a warm system. I'd call this the best end-game for a single headphone user, paired up with a nice tube amp like Cayin HA-300A for example.

HE6 4 Screw (early production): Natural/aggressive. Some of the best and most authoritative bass and treble in a planar, much more grain-free up high vs all HiFiMAN's besides Susvara. More open and diffuse than HE6 6 screw, cleaner bass and image. Sounds more like a dynamic or e-stat. Importance of a powerful amp can't be understated.

SR007MKI: Neutral/smooth: Not an e-stat guy at all because they have no tactility in bass, but these are the sweetest and most natural stax I've heard.

SR009(S): Neutral/bright and neutral/bright w/ bass boost. Impressive with great recordings, detail monsters. Great imaging. Heard with KGSSHV and the portable Stax amp lol. Has no soul, has no tactility and visceral impact. Incredible with great recordings.

HE6 6 Screw: Natural/aggressive. Punchier bass and edgier treble vs 4 screw. Much easier to drive, more focused image with better depth projection. Really in your face and fun headphone, treble is unpolished and sometimes too metallic. Scales with powerful amps, again.

LCD4: Natural/dark. These have some of the best staging in sub 5k headphones. Very open in all 3 axis, nearly as wide and high as HD800 which caught me off guard. Not my preferred tonality, but it's done fantastically and allows for musical enjoyment with almost any music... provided you stick to this single headphone and calibrate to it in a listening session. Phenomenal bass, a bit too lingering imho, but the best after Susvara, outperforming HE6 except in visceral slam.

HEKv2: Natural/holographic. I think the tuning of this headphone is amazing. It sounds analog, music sounds "real", barely ever glare-y or digital, despite a peaky region. Issue with this generation of Hifiman is that it's a bit too soft and lacking tightness and dynamics. Bass is more bloomy than tight. HEKse remedies to that, but sacrifices the stage width and more natural timbre of HEKv2 in favor of the more focused and punchy attack.

K1000 Bass Heavy: Neutral. Most "neutral" headphone I've ever heard. Helps that the bass rolls off super early lol. But these, like the LCD4, sound incredible if you have a listening session with just it. Resolution and transparency is barely any better than my HD580 Jubilee, but the staging is addictive and satisfying with the right type of music, and tonality is near perfect with music that doesn't have a lot of low bass. It still handles bass superbly until 90hz, it's just not visceral. Can be fun with a subwoofer, but requires careful calibration and always sounds slower with a sub.

The rest: Arya, Empyrean, Clear, LCD3, HD580J, HD600, HE500,Sundara, HD650, etc. Not elaborating as I'm tired of writing. I can give my take on them if you guys care/ ask me :)

My rig is Singxer SU-1->Holo Spring KTE->Rebuilt and modernised McIntosh MC225. Chain sounds natural/neutral with neutral bass, and lots of airiness and no digital glare (tonal smoothing of R2R DAC).
Please elaborate your thoughts on Empyrean. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back