Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 22, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #12,466 of 14,709
(I am not sure of what I see, because they say in many reviews than there is a V2 Stealth Magnet..., very confusing)
V2SM and SM is the same. Some people called it HEKVS, HEKV3, HEKV2S. Pretty much the same thing all in all. If you're looking for an upgrade the V2S could be an upgrade for your clears. But for a collection V2 will compliment the clears better.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #12,469 of 14,709
i

Thank you so much. With my Ifi Zen Dac + Soloist. The first song sounds a bit harsh at the top and thr vocal seems a bit thin. I also listened to the bass song you recommended. It was Bass-gasm for sure.

i couldn't find the D1se, but I can find the D400ES. Do you think its worth it?

To be fair, the vocals on both the songs you shared, indeed do sound a bit thin.
Better recordings (and also maybe better vocalists) can alleviate this but I wouldn't say the vocals in Hfiman reach that same level of mellow rich lushness as heard in the HD6__ series.

And for that, vocals aren't the main forte of Hifiman sound either.

But then again, I wouldn't say I don't enjoy vocals on the HEKV2. The complete package of Hifiman sound makes the music a pleasure to listen overall.

Eg this song -

Or

I thoroughly enjoy the vocals and the overall sound on my HEKV2.

I have no idea about the D400ES but there are DACs with non Sabre chips like the M400 and D300 that reviewers do say sound different in a better way or say more musical than the DACs with Sabre chips.
The iFi Neo iDSD DAC is also said to be on the warm musical side.

I tried many sabre dac implemented units
I still have the su-10 .

9038/pro/9039/9068 chip : tried all of them , and older chips too , before them

Just my opinion.. of course
My general impression is that sub 1000$ the 9038 implentation - the more frequent chip you see in "hi-end dacs" carrying these chips , falls short in many aspects of the sound

In other words , depending on your ears you may be out and searching for upgrade quite soon with them .
Whereas the amk chips ( ak4499/ex ) in the same price range perform better and share a more musical / less clinical signature , they draw you better into the musical experience " the flow" that happens when you listen to music . Also they may be worth for consideration if you are sensitive to brightness and feel some sort of harsness/hardness or too much energy somewhere along high mids / highs .

Again , my opinion , based on my ears or what I listen to , etc .

I can't tell for sure over 1000$ because I would look other solutions then.

I gave a chance to ESS chip based dacs lately after I put them aside years ago , and I am going back to my decision - to leave them

Ahh yes, I would reiterate my views in the previous comments regarding not liking DS DACs and put it as not liking the DS DACs with Sabre chips.
Have not tried any DS DACs with alternative chips but my venture into DACs halted at the D1se which though has the Sabre chip but sounds quite different (in a good way for my ears) than the majority of the sabre options.

May 23, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #12,470 of 14,709
To be fair, the vocals on both the songs you shared, indeed do sound a bit thin.
Better recordings (and also maybe better vocalists) can alleviate this but I wouldn't say the vocals in Hfiman reach that same level of mellow rich lushness as heard in the HD6__ series.

And for that, vocals aren't the main forte of Hifiman sound either.

But then again, I wouldn't say I don't enjoy vocals on the HEKV2. The complete package of Hifiman sound makes the music a pleasure to listen overall.

Eg this song -

Or

I thoroughly enjoy the vocals and the overall sound on my HEKV2.

I have no idea about the D400ES but there are DACs with non Sabre chips like the M400 and D300 that reviewers do say sound different in a better way or say more musical than the DACs with Sabre chips.
The iFi Neo iDSD DAC is also said to be on the warm musical side.

Ahh yes, I would reiterate my views in the previous comments regarding not liking DS DACs and put it as not liking the DS DACs with Sabre chips.
Have not tried any DS DACs with alternative chips but my venture into DACs halted at the D1se which though has the Sabre chip but sounds quite different (in a good way for my ears) than the majority of the sabre options.

I'll give the song a listen when I'm home. But After testing, I think I could hear how vocals are really good, but the top end can sound very harsh sometimes. weirdly Instruments sounds amazing, only vocals. It could be my ears, or I definitely need an upgrade on my DAC. Someone on the Composer 3XP thread just gave me just recommend me a way to get a velvety smooth top end. Like Bruno Mars can be very smooth~ but for some reason in the Top end sounds very sensitive in my right ears in particular.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #12,471 of 14,709
I'll give the song a listen when I'm home. But After testing, I think I could hear how vocals are really good, but the top end can sound very harsh sometimes. weirdly Instruments sounds amazing, only vocals. It could be my ears, or I definitely need an upgrade on my DAC. Someone on the Composer 3XP thread just gave me just recommend me a way to get a velvety smooth top end. Like Bruno Mars can be very smooth~ but for some reason in the Top end sounds very sensitive in my right ears in particular.
Rolling op amps could be the answer.

In the comment section of that video, someone is experiencing the same issue as you, ' top end sounds harsh '.

May 23, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #12,472 of 14,709
Rolling op amps could be the answer.

In the comment section of that video, someone is experiencing the same issue as you, ' top end sounds harsh '.

That's what someone from the Composer thread suggested to me. It seems to be an issue for Burson's vivid op amp. But apparently, if you change the op amp on the Composer to Sparkos Dual Pro Amp. It will start to become velvetty and smooth on the top end.

May 23, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #12,474 of 14,709
Hey there.
I also want to try these headphones on my Fiio M15s. I just read than an Ibasso 320 can handle them (exactly the same 1.2W of power output as the M15s so perhaps can be ok).
Could you try them since you posted this message?
And does the He1000 v2 would sound really better than my Focal Clear ? I mean a big step up. I want to try something new but I must admit that the clear with some little adjustments is already really good
I can probably comment on this as I was using primarily Focal Clear and HE1000 v2 (non stealth) for a few months before I just recently upgraded to Focal Utopia a week ago. I will comment on each headphone as I hear them.

Focal Clear: Narrow soundstage, can sound a bit congested (still more open than Hd6-- line). Lower mids fairly prominent relative to upper mids, though nothing is too boosted, but because there is a boost around 1-2k, and a recession around 3-4.5k, it can seem a little exaggerated on lower mid warmth. A bit metallic in timbre, i hear some ringing up there past 12k which can be annoying on certain tracks. Source pairng helps but cannot eliminate. 6k -12k is slightly laid back compared to neutral further emphasising midrange (particulary lower mids). This ultimately leads to a somewhat congested experience that is intimate. Slam.

He1000 v2: Very open and grand, separation is much better giving instruments and vocalists air. Can sound a little bright at times (if you are sensitive to 4-6k) but mostly very controlled. With right source pairing, can definitely be controlled to be less peaky in this range. Very very rarely sibilant. Typical Hifiman scoop at 1-2.5k. This is not offensive, but exists. I think it honestly helps with the presentation of the headphone as I tried to EQ in this dip and it sounded weird (really wide and tall, but depth was severly hindered). Smooth sound that is easy to get lost in the music. Does not have the dynamics of the Focals, both micro and macro (bass does not slam nearly as hard and cymbals are more sizzly and soft rather than having the crisp clang - hard to explain, I think has to do with planar timbre people talk about, that plasitcy sound?). More of a laid back presentation in this sense. Transients are great however, guitar plucks in particular sound tangible.

Focal Utopia: Narrow soundstage, but not as bad as Clear. Good depth and layering, but not particularly wide (though its fine). More filled in around 3-4.5k than Clear so its midrange is less wonky, even with the same 1-2k boost. Treble is well controlled and there is no metallic timbre like the Clear. Intimate, but not congested. Imaging and layering is amazing. So much that I can notice small channel imbalances of less than 1/2 db in narrow bands within the midrange. I think timbre is the best here (considering tonal balance, transients, dynamics), even though I actually prefer the HE1000 v2 tonal balance more from stock. Slam, but more controlled than Clear (I think touch less midbass and more sub bass extension?)

But anyway, if you got here, appreciate you taking the time reading my impressions. Just wanted to share as I am hot on these exact headphones you may be interested in. Unfortunately never tried any other He1000 variants.

EDIT: Utopia's are 2020 variant.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #12,475 of 14,709
Thank you. Tastes are obviously a part of the equation and on my side I find the 4k-6k of the Clear too much muted. It is necessary, but to a point a bit far for me. So I put a bit of EQ in this zone, but not many, perhaps 1.5 or 2db, don't remember now. It changes the global rendering a lot, and I like more. It is easy to switch with the M15s to do a direct comparison. As @AlvianFarrel said, it seems to be better to get an Utopia directly ^^ Not the same price, that is the problem...

May 23, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #12,476 of 14,709
Thank you. Tastes are obviously a part of the equation and on my side I find the 4k-6k of the Clear too much muted. It is necessary, but to a point a bit far for me. So I put a bit of EQ in this zone, but not many, perhaps 1.5 or 2db, don't remember now. It changes the global rendering a lot, and I like more. It is easy to switch with the M15s to do a direct comparison. As @AlvianFarrel said, it seems to be better to get an Utopia directly ^^ Not the same price, that is the problem...
If you can audition them before hand, I really suggest you to do it first. Because Hifiman and Focal's Presentation is very different. You might prefer one over the other. I personally didn't miss Focal's dynamic as much as I thought I would. However, the one thing I really miss is the Intimate vocals. With the He1000v2 to me Vocals can be sound a bit thin. But, @Thetaburn suggestion of using DSD upsampler actually alleviates that issues. Could be placebo, but I could feel that I could differentiate different singers' vocal better.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #12,478 of 14,709
Dsd makes instrument space and positions better
Not a rule but it is very usual

It flattens dynamics too among things
Interesting.. For some reason it also remove the slight imbalance that I have, because of my narrow right ear canal too.

May 23, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #12,479 of 14,709
If you can audition them before hand, I really suggest you to do it first. Because Hifiman and Focal's Presentation is very different. You might prefer one over the other. I personally didn't miss Focal's dynamic as much as I thought I would. However, the one thing I really miss is the Intimate vocals. With the He1000v2 to me Vocals can be sound a bit thin. But, @Thetaburn suggestion of using DSD upsampler actually alleviates that issues. Could be placebo, but I could feel that I could differentiate different singers' vocal better.
there is a "all in dsd" mod on the fiio M15s, did not heard anything different but... who knows...

This point about the vocals is perhaps really important to me. Damn, how can I listen to these 2 beasts ??? I have to buy both... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back