Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 29, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #9,452 of 14,653
I received my HE1000 V2 in excellent condition, no flaws. I use them with all my headphone amps and they sound wonderful. I like the V2 more than my V1. The sound is just more comfortable. They are noticeably lighter and easier to wear for longer periods (which I now tend to do). I actually like the headband and have no trouble with it. I have tried several aftermarket $$$ cables and didn't find them significantly better than the stock cables. I must be blessed with platinum ears for this frees me from going down that rabbit hole.

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #9,455 of 14,653
I received my HE1000 V2 in excellent condition, no flaws. I use them with all my headphone amps and they sound wonderful. I like the V2 more than my V1. The sound is just more comfortable. They are noticeably lighter and easier to wear for longer periods (which I now tend to do). I actually like the headband and have no trouble with it. I have tried several aftermarket $$$ cables and didn't find them significantly better than the stock cables. I must be blessed with platinum ears for this frees me from going down that rabbit hole.

What's some of the cables you tried?

Jul 29, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #9,456 of 14,653
auricgoldfinger:
You ask why I bought the Burson CV2

These days, I only allow myself a purchase of new gear when I have sold enough to pay for it. My fund had in excess of the cost. First new piece of electronics this year.... actually if you exclude the FIIO X5 III, the first new piece in two years. So at least a modicum of control is displayed.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #9,457 of 14,653
Curious exactly which aftermarket cables you tried so can avoid them.

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #9,458 of 14,653
Does anyone know of any graphs of the v2? I've looked around but don't see any. I think I spotted a graph in one of Jude's recent videos.

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #9,460 of 14,653
I assume you're referring to a frequency response curve.

Thank you for that link. With Tyll being rather slow to review the V2, this is the first time I've seen some V2 measurements - and for me they raise more questions than they answer:
  1. Considering that most headphone FR charts look like the cross-section of the Himalayas, the V1 and V2 measurements look more alike than different (apart from a greater 8khz treble peak for the V1. This does not explain the more forward presentation that many have attributed to the V2.
  2. All 3 headphones have a very sharp dip at 9khz (and again at 18khz), implying this could be an artifact of the test environment. If so, how many more testing artifacts are skewing the results?
  3. From memory, Tyll's V1 measurements also showed a sharp dip, but these were at 6khz, not 9khz, which further implies these kind of measurements are skewed by the test environment/process
  4. Based purely on subjective listening (mostly to female vocals), I had earlier chosen to slightly EQ down my V2s, centred around 8.3khz. This sort of ties in with the FR graph, but the graph also points to other frequencies that may benefit from EQ. I'll have another go at EQ now, although when I previously tried reducing the 2-5khz region, I didn't think it helped.
  5. I've never heard the V1, but if the V1's 8khz peak really is that much higher than V2's, then I imagine I would have been very unhappy with an un-EQ'd V1.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #9,461 of 14,653
Jul 31, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #9,462 of 14,653
Yes. Thank you for that link. It's a review I hadn't seen. He speaks to the V2 having more treble between 5k and 8k...but I don't see that in the graph?
You can check audibly as well by playing a frequency range to see if you can detect the changes in level according to any graph.
Most times it will sound less then it appears but small changes do affect perception.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #9,463 of 14,653
Yes. Thank you for that link. It's a review I hadn't seen. He speaks to the V2 having more treble between 5k and 8k...but I don't see that in the graph?
Yes a good link. I wondered about the same thing. What he said does not match up with the response graphs.

Jul 31, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #9,464 of 14,653
You can check audibly as well by playing a frequency range to see if you can detect the changes in level according to any graph.
Most times it will sound less then it appears but small changes do affect perception.

Yes. I really need to learn more about how to EQ. I just do minor tweaks here and there for now. Some of the stuff I've seen lately in another thread has convinced me it's a very worthwhile endeavor.

I have been thinking and wanting a program that would let you create or choose a target curve, then play frequencies or frequency sweeps to help you create an EQ that matched that curve. Target curves could be shared and modified, then you could create a custom EQ that matched your headphones and ears.

Jul 31, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #9,465 of 14,653
20507057_1504299539593426_5123041766134742666_o.jpg
No Shangri-La thread, donno where to post this:
new electrostatic headphone, man they are fast...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back