Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 22, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #7,546 of 14,653
Literally 6dB louder indeed - one was from  the 3.5 output on the little Woo amp they were using vs the 1/4, so there may have been other  factors at play.

Apr 23, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #7,547 of 14,653
The slight mod I will complete this weekend will abolish any percieved peak by bringing the mids more in line and not laid back as it is..
Testing almost complete.

Was waiting for some microphones to complete the mod with some graphs but that will take longer so will instead post "as is"..
not sure where yet.

The HEK is my second favorite alongside a highly moded HD800,
which has more mods than is posted anywhere (including a bass and damping mod.)

Anyways the HEK holds up beautifully
as it's foundation is superior to most planars anyways,
and just is under-damped in rear by my preferences.

While as example, the Ether (open) is actually overdamped in the rear,
which bring up micro details.
Yet the placement /decay of these details is a bit compressed as a result.

All these cans are imperfect.
For instance, resolving the hd800 peak resonance actually reduces it's percieved artificial ambiance. .

Oh well..
Can't have it all..
:)

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #7,548 of 14,653
After using the Pioneer SE Master1 for some time now and using Twau 8 braid cable, I enjoy what they can do and their solid performance. The beauty of using the Whiplash modular design cable is that I can use the same cable except the Y for any headphones. So having used the Pioneer for some time now I started comparing them to the 1000 today. 

What is remarkable to me is that the 1000, IMO, are truly just a better performer. They are more transparent, throw a larger soundstage and create more of the feeling that you are there for the performance. It doesn't matter to me what type of driver either use, what it boils down to is what it conveys and how it does it. The HE1000 outperform the fine Pioneer headphones. Both are in the same basic price range so this isn't an apples to whatever, it is a top of the line to a top of the line. 

So this is my opinion after an extended listening period to both headphones using the same cable. The amp is the micro Zotl2 with the latest Zotl power supply, Mojo or 901s as a source. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #7,549 of 14,653
As one who usually advocates modifications (like you're saying: «no headphone is perfect») I don't recommend this mod. It is the wrong approach. I tried it, with strips of black cellular rubber, and while it did something positive to the tonal balance, it clearly compromized the perception of spatial depth. I would much rather use an equalizer than these stripes for correcting the tonal balance. And by the way: A good (silver) cable also helps a lot. I consider it one of the main causes for the perception of slowness. To my ears and with my equipment (most noteably the formidable DAVE) and a Silver Dragon cable the HE1000 shows extremely good transient response (especially when properly equalized), imaging and transparency – at least on HD 800 level –, and this throughout the whole frequency spectrum. And, nothing new: the best instrument timbres of all headphones I've heard.

There's a reason for the patented rear grill. Audeze and Stax headphones (especially the Lambdas) could use a piece of the action. In fact the ultra-lightweight membrane is damped by the air and needs no further mechanical damping. The proposed mod doesn't have a damping effect, it just introduces reflections from the «damping» elements replacing a gap with pure air – and by doing so manages to «restore» some of the lacking upper-midrange energy. You can test it for yourself: You get the same or a similar effect by holding some of your fingers to the back of the rear openings.

The ideal planar headphone would have a freely floating membrane and no magnets or stator grids around it, also the earpiece should be left away. Because all of these components introduce acoustic interferences (complex acoustic-impedance patterns, near-field reflections) leading to inevitable tonal imbalances and transient inaccuracies. Since that's an unrealistic scenario, real-world planar headphones have to deal with magnets and earpieces, thus said irregularities. Now it's absolutely plausible that introducing a further signal-corrupting interference may lead to a partial improvement – in the case at hand with the tonal balance. Unfortunately that's about the only criterion benefitting from the new interference, so all in all the sonic result may be worse than before nonetheless. And that's how I perceive it.

Meanwhile I have auditioned the LCD-4. A fine piece of headphone, very clean, balanced bottom to top, fast transients, low coloration. A real contender for the HE1000. But with one criterion it was clearly inferior to the HE1000: spatial depth. Astonishing considering the high resolution and fine detail. The only explanation that comes to mind is the rear grill with a relatively large reflective area compared to the filigree HiFiMan grill. There's a clear guideline: the thinner and lighter the membrane, the more sound permeable. Both the HE1000 and the LCD-4 have carried membrane thinness to the extreme. The more important is the care for minimal rear reflections, i.e. a protective grill as open as possible.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #7,550 of 14,653
Don't have a silver cable, have the Norne Zoetic, do find it makes a big difference (to me), would like to try silver one of these days (but, man, this stuff adds up FAST!)

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #7,551 of 14,653
I tried it, with strips of black cellular rubber, and while it did something positive to the tonal balance, it clearly compromized the perception of spatial depth.

Why did you use rubber?

I recommend everyone to try the mod,
Because it is very easy for everyone to try for themselves,
Instead of taking your word for it.
You didn't even try the mod.
Once users try, I bet you that you will be in the minority.

So I can agree to disagree with part of what you say,

BUT I do agree with the other 50% of what you say.
Once I attained the HEK, I realized the "timbre" was the most correct over any headphone I heard.
That was when using the mod with the foam strips,
as those did as you state brought up the mids to reduce the HEK soundstage.
So yeah that material was a compromise.
But I have FOUR versions to try and felt works best.

And about the soundstage,
While the HD800 may be a king of soundstaging,
It is more artificial, while the HEK is more real soundstaging.

While you rather use EQ to tune your HEK issues,
I rather take the approach to deal with it at the source with the mods..
Reflection, damping, grills...
Yes it's a complicated mess,
But fact remains the HEK can be adjusted without EQ..

This was meant to be a test, and is preliminary to a real damping scheme.

It's was done with the HE5 into the Code-X,
So why not this one?

Apr 29, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #7,552 of 14,653
The ideal planar headphone would have a freely floating membrane and no magnets or stator grids around it, also the earpiece should be left away

That scenario is not practical as the driver would cancel itself in free air.

Since it needs to push sound forward we have no choice but to cause both acoustic pressure in rear and dampening of reflections..
The location of my mod (top & bottom) cause pressure without direct reflections as it is not directly behind driver.
So no damping necessary.

So your mistaken and I did state the mod is DECEIVINGLY SIMPLE. .

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #7,553 of 14,653

The ideal planar headphone would have a freely floating membrane and no magnets or stator grids around it, also the earpiece should be left away

That scenario is not practical as the driver would cancel itself in free air.

Add to this the missing magnets, meaning missing drive force.
cool.gif

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #7,554 of 14,653
A proof & sonic effect of the rear pressure created by a smaller opening on rear side,
Is a leaner tighter bass,
Most noticable on the mod strip #4,
Which I noted from inception of thread.

Apr 29, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #7,555 of 14,653
Add to this the missing magnets, meaning missing drive force. :cool:  

The magnet array was physically designed for a more forward projection of sonic wave as was rear grill so hopefully their design would be more noticable with mod.

Edit :
I dont claim to know all the answers and slowly but surely will learn more..

Yet it is just a hobby for me,
so we can agree to disagree.

I won't be taking things critically and my other hobbies ( tube amps ) will take precidence,
so slow is my pace.
:)

May 2, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #7,556 of 14,653
Ok, here's my initial impressions about this mod.

Caveats: I have been into headphones/high-end gear for a couple years now but I am by no means an expert. I am not an engineer-type. Previously I removed the cloth on the grill of my 400i, but I am not comfortable opening up my headphones. With that said, this mod was incredibly easy. I would've taken pictures of the mod but if you use black felt it really is quite hard to notice. I can later though upon request.

Listening Impressions:

HOLY COW!

Do you want the perfect version of the HD800? The detail of the HD800 with planar sound? This headphone is now it. (This will not be an argument about pricing for either).

Any notion of a "hazy" "slow" "soft" character to those headphones is absolutely eliminated by changing the damping. Though I also believe using my Norne Zoetic cable also adds to dispelling the 'soft' accusation -- really think the stock cable hinders the HE1000 somewhat.

But I must say, the mod is not inherently better to stock -- just different in a very fun way.

The stock presentation of the soundstage and detail with the HE1000, to me, is that of the best seat in the house at a concert hall.

This mod takes that and puts you right up next to the instruments.

Sometimes I miss the "relaxed" presentation of the stock version and its more laid-back presentation of micro details (thought there still there) and room ambiance. But overall this mod makes these headphones incredibly exciting and involving. So really it's a choice between two awesome presentations.

I am experimenting with whether Tyll's EQ is now necessary or not. Currently I am using his bass bump but not the taming of the treble peak, and I'm not hearing any harsh or overpowering treble/bass. Just really impactful and involving.

So yeah, if you are a HE1000 owner I absolutely think this mod is worth a try. I actually think these headphones are underrated in a way. But that's it from me for now -- going back to listening 
color]

May 2, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #7,557 of 14,653
  Has anyone seen the Hifiman tradeup program to the HE1000? For example, LCD3 + $1500 for one, or HD800 + $1779, or Beyer T1 + $2029.

I came across it in the weekend, it is really tempting.
Did some reading about HE1000, and I just jumped in with my LCD-X.
I like lcd-x very much, but it is heavy after a while, so decided to fetch the trade up opportunity.

May 5, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #7,558 of 14,653
  I came across it in the weekend, it is really tempting.
Did some reading about HE1000, and I just jumped in with my LCD-X.
I like lcd-x very much, but it is heavy after a while, so decided to fetch the trade up opportunity.

I wonder how the returns work within the 7 days if you decide to do so...

Do they hold onto your traded-in headphones for 7 days and return your headphones to you along with the cash you paid?

May 5, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #7,559 of 14,653
After getting my HE1000. I am currently looking for an upgrade to my amp. I am looking into buying the Schiit Mjolnir 2. But I may not be able to get the Gungnir for a full balance setup any time soon. So I will be using RCA input to the Mjolnir 2 and the balanced headphone output to the HE1000. What do you guys think? 
Thank you!

May 5, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #7,560 of 14,653
  I wonder how the returns work within the 7 days if you decide to do so...

Do they hold onto your traded-in headphones for 7 days and return your headphones to you along with the cash you paid?

I guess that you are right about the return process, however, with so many highly praising reviews I have read.
I am not planning to return it unless I got a defect one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back