Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 29, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #6,136 of 14,673
  Agreed, the aesthetic design and build quality of the HE1000 is bad at $1000.  At $3000 it's bordering on criminal.  The LCD4 will almost certainly be way better built, but if it doesn't improve on the Audeze comfort/weight factor then I'd avoid it for that reason alone no matter how good it sounds.

A way better built? You are not talking about Audeze I guess. At least I had no problem with my HFM phones but my LCD-X came with a faulty cable at first. Not meant to start a fight but I feel like people want to discuss Audeze phones should go to the corresponding threads otherwise from my experience this will go on and on.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #6,137 of 14,673
  Agreed, the aesthetic design and build quality of the HE1000 is bad at $1000.  At $3000 it's bordering on criminal.  The LCD4 will almost certainly be way better built, but if it doesn't improve on the Audeze comfort/weight factor then I'd avoid it for that reason alone no matter how good it sounds.

Well, HEK aesthetic design can be a good point for some... this time my wife didn't asked me how much I paid for this can. She said: "is it vintage?" I replied: "No, it's chinese" She:"Ah, Ok" ... I'm safe...

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #6,139 of 14,673
  The build quality on my HE1000 is way worse than my HE560. I'm talking about material fit & finish.  Failure rate is another matter, and both Hifiman and Audeze have much to answer on that topic.

I agree. The build quality on my HE-560 also feels sturdier and the headphones fit well on my head compared to the HE1K which feel like they will fall apart if I dont baby them.

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #6,140 of 14,673
  A way better built? You are not talking about Audeze I guess. At least I had no problem with my HFM phones but my LCD-X came with a faulty cable at first. Not meant to start a fight but I feel like people want to discuss Audeze phones should go to the corresponding threads otherwise from my experience this will go on and on.

There's a difference between build quality design and defective units.  Audeze does indeed struggle in the latter as of late, and then there is the fatal design flaw of the EL-8.  HiFiMan on the other hand tends to disappoint with regards to the former.  Angled mini-XLR connections like what Audeze LCD headphones offer is the best design.  Audeze uses good materials and their LCD headphones feel very sturdy.  The HE1000 feels far less sturdy.

I'm surprised at the mixed comments about HE1000 comfort.  Adjustable suspension headband and big oval cups with pads that use soft leather and velour.  Comfort doesn't really get better than this in my opinion.  Maybe thicker pads is the only thing... I love me some extra thick pads.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #6,141 of 14,673

There's a difference between build quality design and defective units.  Audeze does indeed struggle in the latter as of late, and then there is the fatal design flaw of the EL-8.  HiFiMan on the other hand tends to disappoint with regards to the former.  Angled mini-XLR connections like what Audeze LCD headphones offer is the best design.  Audeze uses good materials and their LCD headphones feel very sturdy.  The HE1000 feels far less sturdy.

I'm surprised at the mixed comments about HE1000 comfort.  Adjustable suspension headband and big oval cups with pads that use soft leather and velour.  Comfort doesn't really get better than this in my opinion.  Maybe thicker pads is the only thing... I love me some extra thick pads.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it?
I heard the EL-8 and thought it decent for the price [open] but I haven't been following its threads :}

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #6,142 of 14,673
  If you don't mind me asking, what is it?
I heard the EL-8 and thought it decent for the price [open] but I haven't been following its threads :}

It has something to do with the cable disconnecting or something like that.  There's a thread about it somewhere around here.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #6,143 of 14,673

It has something to do with the cable disconnecting or something like that.  There's a thread about it somewhere around here.

That thread was a lot of hyperbole with little substance.  Some of the original batch of EL-8s had a bad cable connector which has apparently been resolved in later production.

It was never a "fatal flaw".  I've owned the Closed EL-8s since introduction, use them for travel, and have never had an issue with the connector.

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #6,144 of 14,673

*pleather* the fact that hifiman includes pleather in a flagship priced at near-bankruptcy makes me shiver. I guess it doesn't matter since the nice velour is the only thing touching your ears but...pleather, really? The pads and headband are extremely comfortable. I feel two pressure points just above my temples caused by the metal that has the hifiman logo printed on it. Maybe I just have a huge head, anyone else?

Sep 29, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #6,145 of 14,673
High quality protein leather. Headband is real leather. Regardless, the pads are supremely comfortable IMO. I was very happy with the Focus pads [on HE560] so am glad HiFiMAN didn't change the pad integrity 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #6,146 of 14,673

That thread was a lot of hyperbole with little substance.  Some of the original batch of EL-8s had a bad cable connector which has apparently been resolved in later production.

It was never a "fatal flaw".  I've owned the Closed EL-8s since introduction, use them for travel, and have never had an issue with the connector.

mmm......while my EL8 O is just fine (no manufacturing defects), I have to say that I positively hate the new connectors. Not just a fan of it. Sorry. So, for me, it is a "fatal flaw."

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #6,147 of 14,673

mmm......while my EL8 O is just fine (no manufacturing defects), I have to say that I positively hate the new connectors. Not just a fan of it. Sorry. So, for me, it is a "fatal flaw."

My last post on this because it's way off topic, but we clearly have very different definitions of the term "fatal flaw" when used to describe an issue with headphones.

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #6,148 of 14,673
I give up. My third pair has the noises in the right ear that continue when unplugged (so it is not my source gear, and none of my other headphones do this) and this pair also has the loose connection where you can make the right ear cut out by holding the cable in the right position. They still sound superb but you can hear the noises over quiet passages of music. screw it. $4000 paperweight. Wish I could return them and get my money back but I am over the stores 14 day return period.

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #6,149 of 14,673
That sucks man. You got boned on this one.

Sep 29, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #6,150 of 14,673
  Wish I could return them and get my money back but I am over the stores 14 day return period.

Wouldn't the return period re-start when a replacement pair was issued?????  It might be wise to at least ask that question.  The other thing would be to contact HiFiMAN support-- directly--and tell/write them your story.  My guess is they'd be VERY motivated to make things right for you.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it's worth a shot, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back