Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 27, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #6,106 of 14,725
Congratulations-got a rave from Steve Guttenberg on CNET (didn't test against the HEK, though), sure you'll love it!!

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #6,107 of 14,725
Still best of show(s) to me. Compared to anything I heard in London and Germany. These just do it for me... One day. One day!
wink.gif

Interesting to hear that you like the HEK that much. I mean not really a surprise that you like them with all the things it does so very well. I’m just curious how you feel about one aspect: the attack and bite in the upper mids. The reason I ask you specifically are that I recall you clearly preferred the more forward/energetic sound of the Focus pads to the somehow softer upper mids on the Focus pad A with the HE 560. In my audition of the HEK it was exactly there, in the upper mids (3-6 KHz), I fund them a bit lacking in bite compared to some other good headphones.

I would very much like to know if you think that the HEK has the upper mids, that I kind of associate with the a bit softer sound of the Focus pad A, or not. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #6,108 of 14,725

Interesting to hear that you like the HEK that much. I mean not really a surprise that you like them with all the things it does so very well. I’m just curious how you feel about one aspect: the attack and bite in the upper mids. The reason I ask you specifically are that I recall you clearly preferred the more forward/energetic sound of the Focus pads to the somehow softer upper mids on the Focus pad A with the HE 560. In my audition of the HEK it was exactly there, in the upper mids (3-6 KHz), I fund them a bit lacking in bite compared to some other good headphones.

I would very much like to know if you think that the HEK has the upper mids, that I kind of associate with the a bit softer sound of the Focus pad A, or not. 

I think it does.
I am very sensitive in that range and even a small spike in there seals the deal for me.
The HEK does it precisely how I like it :)
I did not find any lack of energy in there and I think it will also be influenced by the DAC/amp choices one pairs it with.
The bass doesn't hsve the immediacy of some other cans but I again find it excellent. More of it would hurt the other frequencies IMO.
And the soundstage is unlike anything I've heard before. It just is very different in that regard, speaker like.
I listened to my favorite female vocal track and my jaw just drops every single time...
Overall, beautiful, balanced, as close to my perfect sound as anything I've heard.
We will see what new and if any HFM products are unveiled in the RMAF preview video... I am looking for open headphones and am not sure I can reach the HEK priced like that any time soon... Fingers crossed.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #6,109 of 14,725
I think it does.
I am very sensitive in that range and even a small spike in there seals the deal for me.
The HEK does it precisely how I like it
smily_headphones1.gif

I did not find any lack of energy in there and I think it will also be influenced by the DAC/amp choices one pairs it with.
The bass doesn't hsve the immediacy of some other cans but I again find it excellent. More of it would hurt the other frequencies IMO.
And the soundstage is unlike anything I've heard before. It just is very different in that regard, speaker like.
I listened to my favorite female vocal track and my jaw just drops every single time...
Overall, beautiful, balanced, as close to my perfect sound as anything I've heard.
We will see what new and if any HFM products are unveiled in the RMAF preview video... I am looking for open headphones and am not sure I can reach the HEK priced like that any time soon... Fingers crossed.

Okay so no lack of upper mid energy in your opinion, that’s good to hear.

Yeah a real good HE6 successor that keep all the goodness of the HE6 and don’t cost as much as the HEK would be very nice!

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #6,110 of 14,725

I think your take on the difference between pads on the HE-560 is spot on (I have both types of pads here with mine). I enjoy the Focus pads for that extra impact & bite, but I appreciate it's a bit of a colouration and that the Focus-A pads provide a more balanced signature.  To my ears, the HE-1000 do lack the extra bite provided by the Focus-A pads on the HE-560. I quickly forget about it though unless I'm comparing the two headphones directly, and frankly the HE-1000 does pretty much everything else better than the HE-560 so I can live with a slight lack of bite anyway. I also think a fringe benefit of this versus the HE-560 is that poorly mastered recordings sound far less painful on the HE-1000.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #6,111 of 14,725

I think your take on the difference between pads on the HE-560 is spot on (I have both types of pads here with mine). I enjoy the Focus pads for that extra impact & bite, but I appreciate it's a bit of a colouration and that the Focus-A pads provide a more balanced signature.  To my ears, the HE-1000 do lack the extra bite provided by the Focus-A pads on the HE-560. I quickly forget about it though unless I'm comparing the two headphones directly, and frankly the HE-1000 does pretty much everything else better than the HE-560 so I can live with a slight lack of bite anyway. I also think a fringe benefit of this versus the HE-560 is that poorly mastered recordings sound far less painful on the HE-1000.

I’m glad you understood my compere to the Focus pads and I agree with you that the Focus pads pros of better impact and bite also came with its down sides in form of adding a bit of harsher coloration.

IME it always like that, you have to “sacrifice” some aspects (a bit) to get some other improvements on this level. Hopefully the small sacrifice can be waged out somehow by other parts of the setup. I would for example like to hear the HEK in some other setups and with some other cables to see what it would sound like.    

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #6,112 of 14,725
I also liked the 560 better with Focus pads. Liked that extra energy and focus. I did not like the Focus A because it took away too much of the energy. The drawback is that the Focus pads create the energy thanks to a 4-5K peak which can cause issues with vocals, especially sibilance. This is less of an issue with Focus A as it smoothens that range but that also comes at the cost of energy...
To my ears the HEK sounds somewhere in between without any spikes or dips. I found no issues with the sound there :)

Sep 28, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #6,113 of 14,725
Just watching Jude's canjam preview, and he just held up the Audeze LCD4!!! :xf_eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They went sub micron diaphragm just like HE1000.

Sep 29, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #6,115 of 14,725
With a price tag of $3,995...

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #6,118 of 14,725
It's also the one I have heard and know will love. For me the perfect tonal balance, amazing comfort and a different soundstage presentation is what makes the HEK special.
It really is my no.1 favorite headphone :3

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #6,119 of 14,725
High end headphones prices are getting ridiculous. The LCD4 needs to perform at another level to justify that price. Of course, it may well do (Audeze aren't beginners at this). It certainly looks far better than the HE1000 cosmetically imho, and I wonder if they've been able to make a comfortable headphone at last. Will await RMAF impressions with interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back