Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 30, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #5,387 of 14,653
  Can iDSD Micro drive these well?

My Chord Hugo drives it with ease, and given that your iFi has even twice as much output power, from the power aspect you should be fine. I never heard an iDSD Micro, so have no idea about its sound characteristic/quality, but if that's your now source/amp and you wish to upgrade your headphone sound, the HE1000 will do. I see you already have the HE400, so I guess you'd get even more of the latter's qualities or less of its sonic deficits. Due to the lower sensitivity the HE1000 needs more power, though. And, as I'm just experiencing, quite a bit of break-in time.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #5,389 of 14,653
  Can iDSD Micro drive these well?

mmm.....I've just tried it a couple of minutes ago. Yes, the iFi iDSD Micro can damn well drive the HE1K (amp setting: eco or  normal  while turbo is way too much power,  3D and X bass off, volume pot around 1 o'clock, which is plenty loud). Tried it briefly with my Aurender Flow: no problems at all. Yes, the Chord Hugo/AK 240 = no problems either.   Surprise:  I love the synergy of the HE1K with the Cayin N6/Mass Kobo 395 with the AK Crystal Picollino interconnect. Woof!  Headphone cable: Moon Audio Silver Dragon for HE1K (wow!). Least favorite: Sony PCM D100/CEntrance Hifi M8. My friend says that Hifiman HM 901S + his Mass Kobo 404 = bitchin'.  Love the HE1K......it is a keeper.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #5,390 of 14,653
Thanks for the replies, HE400S is a very good planar for its affordable price. It's also the headphone that got me interested in planar magnetic technology. I tried Audeze and Oppo flagships before but none of them satisfied me. It's interesting that a $299 planar can do that due to its amazing sound signature. From impressions, I see that HE-1000 still has that musical, organic signature but obviously it's much much more capable technically. For instance, HE-560 is not for me due to its analytical and neutral signature. HE-1000 is most likely the planar flagship for me. It's not an easy purchase, so I'll audition before buying but it's good to see HifiMan doesn't sacrifice musicality in lieu of technicality. It's a problem that most flagships suffer in my opinion. They are flawed in one way or another. HE-1000 seems to be that complete flagship.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #5,391 of 14,653
Have any HE1000 owners used a travel case (other than the original HE1000 wooden box) that fits without any issue?

HIFIMAN Travel Case for HE Headphones

A customer service representative from HIFIMAN's Head-Direct.com replied to my HE1000 + HIFIMAN Travel Case fit inquiry.  She replied: 

"Thanks for contacting us.

Headphone Travel Case for HIFIMAN doesn't fit the HE1000. Because HE-1000 is a little bigger than our other headphones."

Thanks in advance, HE1000 owners, for sharing what headphone case you use.

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #5,392 of 14,653
HE-1000 is more than a little bigger than the 560, curious if anyone as found anything as well.

Jul 30, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #5,394 of 14,653
mmm.....I am also looking for a suitable traveling case for the he1k. The closest I can find is this:  http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/accessories/headset-bag.html . Roomy space for dap, cables, amp/dacs on its side. Plan to purchase this. Only problems are the Beyerdynamic tag (I dislike big/bold labels) and the conservative styling. Cheap, too.

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #5,396 of 14,653
Has anyone here listened to the HE-1000 through both balanced and singled ended connections? I just received my rental HE-1K today, and wanted to compare it to my balanced LCD-X, but it only came with a single ended cable. Just wanted to know if there was a huge, or subtle, difference. Setup is in my sig. Thanks in advance.

Aug 1, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #5,398 of 14,653
Has anyone here listened to the HE-1000 through both balanced and singled ended connections? I just received my rental HE-1K today, and wanted to compare it to my balanced LCD-X, but it only came with a single ended cable. Just wanted to know if there was a huge, or subtle, difference. Setup is in my sig. Thanks in advance.

HE-1000 comes with three cables in the box normally? 1/4", 1/8" and 4 pin XLR

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #5,400 of 14,653

By rental through thecableco.com, it only comes with 1/4."

I find it a bit strange that they don’t include all cables. Did they inform of this in advance and how much do it cost totally to rent the HEK from them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back