Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 2, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #5,416 of 14,685
I have had my production version HE1000 for a few weeks now.  My original SQ impressions stand, but I think the ergonomics have dropped a notch.

Its still relatively very comfortable and I can easily wear it for 2 hrs w/o a problem, but I think the other TOTL's HD800, SR009 and even LCD's are noticeably more comfortable. Especially the HD800 design which imo is the gold standard for comfort.  Maybe my head is shaped odd, but I get a sore spot right on the top of my head w/ the HE1000s.  Also the velour while soft isn't as soft as the midfi HD650 velour pads.  After a couple hrs it feels a bit scratchy against my face.   I think an Alcantara option like on the HD800 or plush leather option like on the LCD's would really improve these headphones.  Infact I'd pay a good amount for someone to make me one.  Clamping pressure is a bit tight also.  It helps w/ the pressure on the top of my head, but IMO neither of those should be there.  I got medium-short haircut and I'm amazed, that my hair at times gets caught in the adjusters on the sides (rarely, but a gripe I've never had with any other headphone).  Its all small stuff and ergonomics rarely impacts my decision to buy, but I think its worth mentioning for the highly discerning headfi crowd.

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #5,417 of 14,685
I've been saying this for a while, don't find them too uncomfortable to stay with, but I had to wrap mine with Diono Soft Wrap, a product made to make car seat belts softer and more comfortable for babies. Have a bald head, and, even with the wrap, feel a similar discomfort at the top of my head. Much better, though.

Aug 2, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #5,418 of 14,685
  I have had my production version HE1000 for a few weeks now.  My original SQ impressions stand, but I think the ergonomics have dropped a notch.

Its still relatively very comfortable and I can easily wear it for 2 hrs w/o a problem, but I think the other TOTL's HD800, SR009 and even LCD's are noticeably more comfortable. Especially the HD800 design which imo is the gold standard for comfort.  Maybe my head is shaped odd, but I get a sore spot right on the top of my head w/ the HE1000s.  Also the velour while soft isn't as soft as the midfi HD650 velour pads.  After a couple hrs it feels a bit scratchy against my face.   I think an Alcantara option like on the HD800 or plush leather option like on the LCD's would really improve these headphones.  Infact I'd pay a good amount for someone to make me one.  Clamping pressure is a bit tight also.  It helps w/ the pressure on the top of my head, but IMO neither of those should be there.  I got medium-short haircut and I'm amazed, that my hair at times gets caught in the adjusters on the sides (rarely, but a gripe I've never had with any other headphone).  Its all small stuff and ergonomics rarely impacts my decision to buy, but I think its worth mentioning for the highly discerning headfi crowd.

I have the same issues. The headband is too short/tense to distribute the weight evenly on the head. And especially in these summer days the HD 800 feels more comfortable, cooler, the HE1000's velour pads feel rather warm and rough.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #5,419 of 14,685
  I have the same issues. The headband is too short/tense to distribute the weight evenly on the head. And especially in these summer days the HD 800 feels more comfortable, cooler, the HE1000's velour pads feel rather warm and rough.

Attaching two 4.5 mm foam pads with a 3 cm gap in the middle increased the comfort significantly. Still not ideal, though.

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #5,420 of 14,685
I am sending these headphones back, as the left earcup has a loose connection with the cable, since yesterday. For a headphone at this level, the build quality should be immaculate. I love the sound, but unhappy with the build quality. I will wait a year till they have gotten it right.

Till then, I have a beast (Abyss) and a beauty (HD800) to keep me company. :)

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #5,421 of 14,685
I am sending these headphones back, as the left earcup has a loose connection with the cable, since yesterday. For a headphone at this level, the build quality should be immaculate. I love the sound, but unhappy with the build quality. I will wait a year till they have gotten it right.

Till then, I have a beast (Abyss) and a beauty (HD800) to keep me company.
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you try to clean the plug? I had that some on my left side, I used alcohol to clean the plug, left some alcohol on the plug and put in the socket a few times that way and the problem was totally resolved. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #5,422 of 14,685
+1 well said. The strap is too tight to adequately distribute the weight of the cans. I much preferred the beta unit's strap to the production unit's strap.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #5,423 of 14,685
I have the 560, which is basically designed the same, but the distribution of weight is VERY different-it is comfortable, while the HEK is not, does put all the weight right at the top of my head. Better with a Velcro cushion as I mentioned earlier.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #5,424 of 14,685
Perhaps HFM could offer the longer beta headband straps as an optional choice for those whose heads are big enough. The headband swap isn't exactly tough, you literally just unscrew the casings on both sides, and the headstrap slips out.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #5,425 of 14,685
  Perhaps HFM could offer the longer beta headband straps as an optional choice for those whose heads are big enough. The headband swap isn't exactly tough, you literally just unscrew the casings on both sides, and the headstrap slips out.

If it's so easy to change, why not going DIY with custom choice of material and perfectly adjusted shape and length?

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #5,426 of 14,685
Probably wouldn't work for me, I have a small head, if it is too large, they will no longer fit (I generally use almost every headphone at the smallest setting they have, even then some are too large). But, would probably work for most folks.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #5,427 of 14,685

If it's so easy to change, why not going DIY with custom choice of material and perfectly adjusted shape and length?

Nothing stopping ya, just gotta incorporate the (hidden) metal clasps at the two ends of the stock straps necessary for locking with the headband adjustment casings.

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #5,428 of 14,685

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #5,429 of 14,685
Makes me feel like grabbing a washboard and finding me a jug band!!!!

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #5,430 of 14,685
Makes me feel like grabbing a washboard and finding me a jug band!!!!

Come on down to Kentucky Doc, washboard and jug bands are little more numerous here than NJ!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back