Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 25, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #3,991 of 14,653
we all understand that the Hifiman HE 1000 is the new king of the hood...
but did they can beat up the mighty Sennhiser Orphous HE-90? i know that are some people that won the he-90 i think it will be interesting

I heard the HE1000/EF1000 and the Orpheus in Munich. To me, the Orpheus was superior by a big margin. Also Stax 007/009 were inferior (with Stax amp.)....
So, Sennheiser, please give me/us an Orpheus II.
Would be interesting what others think ...

May 25, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #3,992 of 14,653
Do let us know.  My best experience with the HEK so far is with the Super Symmetry Dynahi following by the GS-X MKII.  The ECP-L2 does a great job with the HEK but not as good as the two solid state amps mentioned earlier.

Maybe since the Dynahi and GS-X Mark II sound excellent with the HEK, then maybe my Beta 22 will also sound great with them, since it too, is all discrete, class A, like them.
What do you think?
My B 22 actually sounded surprisingly good with the HE-6!
My B 22 is currently down due to it being blown out in one channel, but I should have brand new matched and calibrated circuit boards from YBM Audio by this weekend.
I am also thinking about changing out the ALPS blue velvet pot for a TKD 2CP-2511 pot when I change out the circuit boards.
The HEK does sound surprisingly good with the Gustard H10 too. Really good!
The Gustard also drives the HE-6 ok, but the B 22 does much better with the HE-6.
The HEK is very detailed, wide open, big soundstage, transparent, layered, and outstanding bass response with the Gustard though...believe it or not!

May 25, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #3,993 of 14,653
I heard the HE1000/EF1000 and the Orpheus in Munich. To me, the Orpheus was superior by a big margin. Also Stax 007/009 were inferior (with Stax amp.)....

I would surely hope that a $16,000.00 retail price, when it was new, or up to $30,000.00 or more, used, headphone would be superior to a $3,000.00 Hifiman HEK, or a $4,500.00 - $5,500.00 Stax SR 009, at that price! Lol.

May 25, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #3,994 of 14,653
It's also a much older headphone though too, and technology moves fast. Not saying it's not rightly better, it is a classic after all, but we all know price doesn't always correspond with performance either.

May 25, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #3,995 of 14,653
Which Stax amp? The T2 will be very different from and better than the 007TA.

In my setup and to my ears, the HE1000 does not sound better than the HD800 on classical/well recorded acoustic. But like most Hifiman offerings, it does sound more listenable and coherent than the HD800 with vocals, rock and modern stuff. It's a good complement to the HD800. But it won't replace it if you are into the absolute best imaging and resolution.

A bigger problem will be posed for those with the HE6. I heard mixed feelings from experienced owners of HE6 (modded) about the HE1000. Much looking forward to Preproman's views as well.

Will give a more detailed write up later. Say early June.

May 25, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #3,997 of 14,653
  So it sounds like while I could use my speaker amp for my soon-to-arrive HE-1000s, I shouldn't.  That's fine. I have several amps, and I conclude from posts in the HE-1000 Beta User Impression Thread that it is relatively easy to drive (yet scales up from perfection to nirvana as the amp scales up from powerful to Just Right!!)

I am able and willing to purchase an amp (and DAC too if necessary) for my HE-1000s.  Ideally, it would also complement my collection of 13 Grado headphones, so I am looking at amps good for both. Candidates to date include the MAD Ear HD+ and the Schitt Lyr 2. 

My Sennheiser HD 800s are admirably served by my Sennheiser HDVD 800 amp.  However, it does NOT sound good with my Grados.  The HDVD 800 impedance is 43 ohms; the Grado (and HiFiMAN HE-1000 impedance is 32 or 35 +/- 5 ohms, respectively. The HD 800 impedance is 300 - 600 ohms, depending on frequency.  So the HDVD 800 amp, while Great for the HD 800 headphones, has an audible disadvantage when used with the 32 ohm Grados, and hence I assume, with the 35 ohm HE-1000s.

Any further amp suggestions?  HiFiMAN EF-6????

13 Grado headphones? You're an eager beaver.  I'm pretty sure Joe Grado wouldn't mind delivering the eulogy at your funeral!

May 25, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #3,998 of 14,653
Which Stax amp? The T2 will be very different from and better than the 007TA.

In my setup and to my ears, the HE1000 does not sound better than the HD800 on classical/well recorded acoustic. But like most Hifiman offerings, it does sound more listenable and coherent than the HD800 with vocals, rock and modern stuff. It's a good complement to the HD800. But it won't replace it if you are into the absolute best imaging and resolution.

A bigger problem will be posed for those with the HE6. I heard mixed feelings from experienced owners of HE6 (modded) about the HE1000. Much looking forward to Preproman's views as well.

Will give a more detailed write up later. Say early June.

Lojay, I like what you're saying and so does my wallet.  I listen to classical music exclusively and the HD 800 (and to a slightly lesser extent, the much underappreciated T1) does such a wonderful job (using it with either the Taurus/Vega or - even better - the Benchmark DAC2 and RS Darkstar) with Classical and Opera that I am seeing no compelling reason to get the HE1000.  I don't see how a warmer/euphonic headphone can sound better with classical music than the HD800, or for that matter, the T1.  For some reason that I am unable to pinpoint, planar headphones kind of struggle to deliver the goods with classical music (the HE-6, with its brighter sound characteristics came close, but still no cigar!).

May 25, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #3,999 of 14,653

13 Grado headphones? You're an eager beaver.  I'm pretty sure Joe Grado wouldn't mind delivering the eulogy at your funeral!

Well, unfortunately Joesph Grado passed away last February (2015).  A small commemorative which I posted on the Grado web page (only had 10 Grados then!!)  CD is of Joseph Grado titled "The Ultimate Dramatic Tenor."

May 25, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #4,000 of 14,653
Lojay, I like what you're saying and so does my wallet.  I listen to classical music exclusively and the HD 800 (and to a slightly lesser extent, the much underappreciated T1) does such a wonderful job (using it with either the Taurus/Vega or - even better - the Benchmark DAC2 and RS Darkstar) with Classical and Opera that I am seeing no compelling reason to get the HE1000.  I don't see how a warmer/euphonic headphone can sound better with classical music than the HD800, or for that matter, the T1.  For some reason that I am unable to pinpoint, planar headphones kind of struggle to deliver the goods with classical music (the HE-6, with its brighter sound characteristics came close, but still no cigar!).

But hey, then there's the SR009 for solos and small ensembles, so you aren't quite there yet!

I think the HE1000 does admirably with classical, even orchestral. Better than the HE6. So for someone who listens to as much classical as everything else, and couldn't stand the HD800 for anything else than classical, HE1000 is a mighty fine choice. It's just that the HD800 is very overlooked with all these new phones coming out. In my books it still reigns supreme for large scale orchestral. 

May 25, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #4,001 of 14,653
  Well, unfortunately Joesph Grado passed away last February (2015).  A small commemorative which I posted on the Grado web page (only had 10 Grados then!!)  CD is of Joseph Grado titled "The Ultimate Dramatic Tenor."

Well, I guess I got it wrong...it was you who did the eulogy at his funeral!  Oh, but there's always Johnny-boy Grado who can deliver your eulogy...he is still alive and kicking!

May 25, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #4,004 of 14,653
Amazing review, but I find the flaws you mentioned pretty big for me... And I don't like a lot of bass, so I think I'm still happy with with my HD800 ^_^

The bass on the HE1000 is not big. It would still very much be categorized as neutral more than anything else. Slightly north or neutral tho? Yes just a bit. What makes the bass feel present is its fantastix extension and ability to move air like no other

May 25, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #4,005 of 14,653
Classical Music:

I use to think the HD800 was king as well.  Until I heard the Stax SR-Omegas.  There is no contest.  These have to be heard with large scale ensembles, the transparency, clarity and imaging are unreal.. 

They are just too damn lean for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back