Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 17, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #3,841 of 14,653
I have seen no such comparisons!  :tongue_smile:

How do you install the Audeze Vegan pads on the HE1000?
How difficult is it?
Thanks.

Since you dropped my bomb prematurely, I'll go ahead and write my comparison here.

Listening through Yggy > audio-gd Master -1 preamp > Krell FPB 300cx.

Like the new headband design compared to HE-6, plus the thing is much much lighter. I like the size (L x W, diameter) of the cups but dislike the shallowness (ear touches the driver side) and the velour material (woolly and makes my ears itchy). I don't like the sleeving on the cable either, but I think most of us will be upgrading cables and probably hardwiring later.

At first listen, I think the differences between HE-6 and HE1k are obvious. HE1k is more detailed, faster, better layering, imaging, and soundstage. A better headphone, technically. BUT (here it comes) it's not engaging; it's laid-back - a bit boring. I've had to crank up the volume on the HE1k to get that engagement/raw energy of the HE-6. I'm so used to that level of excitement and magic, my ears kept digging for it then gave out in fatigue. There's a warmth to the HE1k bass that is bloomy and does not feel solid (like bass from SR-009). HE-6 forcefully thumps you in the chest while HE1k blows air in your face. If anyone heard the HE1k at CanJam, these sound VERY different from those. I'm inclined to say the pairs at CanJam were broken.

The whole time, I was longing to reach for the HE-6 because it's got the sound I know and love. I want that attack, visceralness, engagement in the mids that grabs you by the neck and doesn't let go. The HE1k is the better headphone no doubt, but it's not quite what I like. I think a lot of HE-6 owners will agree with me here. For all the other guys who didn't think the HE-6 was that special, this might be the perfect headphone.

Throughout all of yesterday, I was in a lot of disappointment and confusion. I finally got a headphone that's an upgrade after all these years of waiting, but I didn't like it. Something ticked in my mind and decided to do something about it. What if I put my Audeze Vegan pads on these. HOLY CRAP!  THERE IT IS!!!  The MAGIC is BACK baby!  All the excitement, engagement, attack came back from a simple pad change! I love how they sound now. There is a minor annoyance in that theres a midbass boost which I'm currently still trying to fix, but it's a huge leap forward in the right direction. It finally sounds like a headphone with focus and man do those mids pop right out. I want to say the imaging and layer is better than the R10 now. The subbass is also earthshaking which I'm sure Abyss lover would like.

I would highly suggest that Fang should keep working on the pads. They are really holding the driver back.

At this point, I can almost say this is the best headphone in the world (haven't heard an Orpheus though). Hifiman did a very good job with the driver and now with my mod, I can say these are an HE-6 replacement. Last month, I shoved my modded HE-6 in Fang's face and told him these are the real benchmark! I sort of take that back now because the HE1k is the new benchmark once they have been modded.

May 17, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #3,842 of 14,653
Pads on the LCD's are glued down. They will not be fun to peel. I suggest buying them separately, but they do cost $80 a pair. I would almost never recommend leather for pads as they give horrible reflections.

Ok thanks for the info, figured I might be able to do a quick try before plunking down $80 for new pads. May just give it some time and buy the pads later on after I adjust to the HE1000 sound signature, see if I prefer the laid-back feel of the HE1000 pads or the more in your face feel of the Audeze pads.

May 17, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #3,843 of 14,653
Ok thanks for the info, figured I might be able to do a quick try before plunking down $80 for new pads. May just give it some time and buy the pads later on after I adjust to the HE1000 sound signature, see if I prefer the laid-back feel of the HE1000 pads or the more in your face feel of the Audeze pads.

+1 Well said.

May 17, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #3,844 of 14,653
I have seen no such comparisons!  :tongue_smile:

At this point, I can almost say this is the best headphone in the world (haven't heard an Orpheus though). Hifiman did a very good job with the driver and now with my mod, I can say these are an HE-6 replacement. Last month, I shoved my modded HE-6 in Fang's face and told him these are the real benchmark! I sort of take that back now because the HE1k is the new benchmark once they have been modded.

You MUST hear the Orpheus !!!
I had the chance in München last Friday and I was blown away. To me, THIS is the benchmark !
Fang was also there and I wish that he also would have tried the Orpheus - just to realize that there is still a long way to go ...
Personally, I liked the HE6 more than the HE1000 (driven by EF6 or EF1000) because it is the better allrounder. To me, the HE1000 was a bit too aggressive in highs, especially with classics an voices. Fang said the HE1000 (used at the show) will need more time for braking in. So, he should know ...

May 17, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #3,845 of 14,653
As things stand from feedback so far these do not appear to be the Second Coming that many (myself included) hoped they'd be. For $3k we really shouldn't be talking about after-market mods like changing pads etc.  I truly hope that HiFiMAN listen and act upon feedback from the more experienced & trusted beta participants who appear to be developing a consensus & release these in the best form possible.

May 17, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #3,846 of 14,653
I had the chance in München last Friday and I was blown away. To me, THIS is the benchmark !
Fang was also there and I wish that he also would have tried the Orpheus - just to realize that there is still a long way to go ...
Personally, I liked the HE6 more than the HE1000 (driven by EF6 or EF1000) because it is the better allrounder. To me, the HE1000 was a bit too aggressive in highs, especially with classics an voices. Fang said the HE1000 (used at the show) will need more time for braking in. So, he should know ...

Interesting. I would like to do a comprehensive comparison with those two headphones.

May 17, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #3,847 of 14,653
.... To me, the HE1000 was a bit too aggressive in highs, especially with classics an voices. ....

Hear the Orpheus and the HE1000 also at Munich, tried few times, and I agree 100% on both statements.

First I was very very pleased with the HE1000, but than wen I changed music ... with some voices it became indeed agressive (I used my music & my HUGO with it, which by the way has definitively enough power to drive it )

May 17, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #3,848 of 14,653

I have seen no such comparisons! 
tongue_smile.gif

Since you dropped my bomb prematurely, I'll go ahead and write my comparison here.

Listening through Yggy > audio-gd Master -1 preamp > Krell FPB 300cx.

Like the new headband design compared to HE-6, plus the thing is much much lighter. I like the size (L x W, diameter) of the cups but dislike the shallowness (ear touches the driver side) and the velour material (woolly and makes my ears itchy). I don't like the sleeving on the cable either, but I think most of us will be upgrading cables and probably hardwiring later.

At first listen, I think the differences between HE-6 and HE1k are obvious. HE1k is more detailed, faster, better layering, imaging, and soundstage. A better headphone, technically. BUT (here it comes) it's not engaging; it's laid-back - a bit boring. I've had to crank up the volume on the HE1k to get that engagement/raw energy of the HE-6. I'm so used to that level of excitement and magic, my ears kept digging for it then gave out in fatigue. There's a warmth to the HE1k bass that is bloomy and does not feel solid (like bass from SR-009). HE-6 forcefully thumps you in the chest while HE1k blows air in your face. If anyone heard the HE1k at CanJam, these sound VERY different from those. I'm inclined to say the pairs at CanJam were broken.

The whole time, I was longing to reach for the HE-6 because it's got the sound I know and love. I want that attack, visceralness, engagement in the mids that grabs you by the neck and doesn't let go. The HE1k is the better headphone no doubt, but it's not quite what I like. I think a lot of HE-6 owners will agree with me here. For all the other guys who didn't think the HE-6 was that special, this might be the perfect headphone.

Throughout all of yesterday, I was in a lot of disappointment and confusion. I finally got a headphone that's an upgrade after all these years of waiting, but I didn't like it. Something ticked in my mind and decided to do something about it. What if I put my Audeze Vegan pads on these. HOLY CRAP!  THERE IT IS!!!  The MAGIC is BACK baby!  All the excitement, engagement, attack came back from a simple pad change! I love how they sound now. There is a minor annoyance in that theres a midbass boost which I'm currently still trying to fix, but it's a huge leap forward in the right direction. It finally sounds like a headphone with focus and man do those mids pop right out. I want to say the imaging and layer is better than the R10 now. The subbass is also earthshaking which I'm sure Abyss lover would like.

I would highly suggest that Fang should keep working on the pads. They are really holding the driver back.

Can you explain the procedure to remove the pads and install the Vegan? (pictures if possible) 
Thanks.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 17, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #3,850 of 14,653
  Jose you going to change the pads. I kind of like the feel  of these.

Don't know but I would like to understand how since the cup size is so different. I am getting mine tomorrow.

The 3 times I have listen to them I really like the way they sounded so it will be awesome to finally listen to them in my own systems.
I am concern about the power out of my WA5-LE form them. At Axona I listened to the Ether with the WA5 Dan had there. First out of the 1/4" output and the sounded good but when I listened to them out of the balanced (K1K) output they were a total different headphone. A very impressive improvement.

Fortunately I can evaluate how they react with extra power connecting them directly the speaker tabs of my MHA100. I am seriously considering selling my WA5-LE (customer made) to order the WA5 and customize it the same way as my WA5-LE.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 17, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #3,851 of 14,653
  Don't know but I would like to understand how since the cup size is so different. I am getting mine tomorrow.

The 3 times I have listen to them I really like the way they sounded so it will be awesome to finally listen to them in my own systems.
I am concern about the power out of my WA5-LE form them. At Axona I listened to the Ether with the WA5 Dan had there. First out of the 1/4" output and the sounded good but when I listened to them out of the balanced (K1K) output they were a total different headphone. A very impressive improvement.

Fortunately I can evaluate how they react with extra power connecting them directly the speaker tabs of my MHA100. I am seriously considering selling my WA5-LE (customer made) to order the WA5 and customize it the same way as my WA5-LE.

I do not think you would have any issue but the XLR does have more power for sure on the WA5. I am using the Cavalli Liquid Gold with no issues.

May 17, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #3,852 of 14,653
Hear the Orpheus and the HE1000 also at Munich, tried few times, and I agree 100% on both statements.

First I was very very pleased with the HE1000, but than wen I changed music ... with some voices it became indeed agressive (I used my music & my HUGO with it, which by the way has definitively enough power to drive it )

Maybe it's your Hugo? It doesn't drive the HE-560 well and the HE1k has a similar sound character that favors warmer gears, which the Hugo isn't.

May 17, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #3,853 of 14,653
  Very brief and untrustworthy impressions from the Fujiya Avic festival today: http://www.head-fi.org/t/766651/2015-tokyo-fujiya-avic-spring-headphone-festival-report#post_11606743

My experience was brief and maybe untrustworthy as well(due to the short listen based on the demo setup and track) during the Fujiya Avic Festival but I felt the exact same way about the HE1000. I felt that the HE1000 is an excellent headphone with ever so slightly boosted bass. The midrange, soundstage layering is excellent, the slightly boosted bass adds a nice punch to the low end while retaining excellent detail. The highs seems just slightly off, a bit etched possibly due the demo they had setup. Overall I felt the highs weren't as clean as I would like due to some etch but this can be due to the source.

Build quality is not quite at the STAX SR-009 level but still excellent and a solid introduction by HiFiMan at producing a top tier headphone. I feel its a headphone that would work well with a high quality tube amp that is tube rolling friendly to tweak the sound to your preference. Comfort in terms of weight and clamping pressure is excellent as well, overall it was quite enjoyable and a top tier can that I would consider if I wasn't heavily invested in a STAX setup(KGST+007MKI with a SR-009 on the way)

The HE1000 retails at $3000USD(more than what an SR-009 would cost me), a bit steep IMHO, I feel these would sell like hotcakes if priced between $2000-$2500USD.

May 17, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #3,854 of 14,653

I did a quick comparison between HE-1000 vs. Orpheus at Munich show and they sounded very different.The Orpheus sounded full warm and very liquid but only with average soundstage because the frontstage was missing.The HE-1000 sounded thin against Orpheus and the midrange was somehow sucked out The HE-1K had huge soundstage in every direction like HD-800 but was not as liquid as SR-009.The signature of HE-1K is closer to SR-009 and i guess that the HE-1K needs some fat tube amps .I heard the HE-1000 with three different Hifimans amps but didn't get wow feelings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back