Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 17, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,871 of 14,689
  Better order yours soon, I'm sure Audeze don't have many of those pads in stock.

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for sharing this. I noticed this is a tendency, and looks like pads are really holding most TOTL headphones back. I made many Stax SR-007 MUCH better with a pad change, improved the bass extension and attack of my SR-009 by changing pad filling, made my TH900 sound far better with mod that included changing pad fillings. I think I could make many headphone better by some experimenting (looking at the LCD-3 now). That tells me headphone manufacturers don't really care about earpads design (except a few), as long as they are comfortable and cover the options customers want (soft leather etc). Well, it's possible that they just wanted them this way, but by your description, there is a clear improvement.

My fear with the HE1000 is that it sounds a bit metallic zingy like all other headphones they make (at least when compared to the 009), which would be a showstopper for me. Could someone confirm it's not?

I predict the 009 would sound better with Vegans too. I'm not a fan of any of Audeze's headphones but they seemed to have put a lot of thought into this earpad. Or stumbled upon it by accident...

Does the HE-6 with Vegans sound metallic to you? I think the HE1k is very easy to listen to. I find the 009 more "uncomfortable" with its impactful but ethereal bass which is how the HE1k is stock.

May 17, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #3,872 of 14,689
  My fear with the HE1000 is that it sounds a bit metallic zingy like all other headphones they make (at least when compared to the 009), which would be a showstopper for me. Could someone confirm it's not?

In stock form these are some of the most relaxing and inoffensive headphones imo. The treble sounds different than the 009s, but nothing these headphones do was in the least annoying to me. That's the least of problems these have.

May 17, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #3,873 of 14,689

I have seen no such comparisons! 
tongue_smile.gif

Since you dropped my bomb prematurely, I'll go ahead and write my comparison here.

Listening through Yggy > audio-gd Master -1 preamp > Krell FPB 300cx.

Like the new headband design compared to HE-6, plus the thing is much much lighter. I like the size (L x W, diameter) of the cups but dislike the shallowness (ear touches the driver side) and the velour material (woolly and makes my ears itchy). I don't like the sleeving on the cable either, but I think most of us will be upgrading cables and probably hardwiring later.

At first listen, I think the differences between HE-6 and HE1k are obvious. HE1k is more detailed, faster, better layering, imaging, and soundstage. A better headphone, technically. BUT (here it comes) it's not engaging; it's laid-back - a bit boring. I've had to crank up the volume on the HE1k to get that engagement/raw energy of the HE-6. I'm so used to that level of excitement and magic, my ears kept digging for it then gave out in fatigue. There's a warmth to the HE1k bass that is bloomy and does not feel solid (like bass from SR-009). HE-6 forcefully thumps you in the chest while HE1k blows air in your face. If anyone heard the HE1k at CanJam, these sound VERY different from those. I'm inclined to say the pairs at CanJam were broken.

The whole time, I was longing to reach for the HE-6 because it's got the sound I know and love. I want that attack, visceralness, engagement in the mids that grabs you by the neck and doesn't let go. The HE1k is the better headphone no doubt, but it's not quite what I like. I think a lot of HE-6 owners will agree with me here. For all the other guys who didn't think the HE-6 was that special, this might be the perfect headphone.

Throughout all of yesterday, I was in a lot of disappointment and confusion. I finally got a headphone that's an upgrade after all these years of waiting, but I didn't like it. Something ticked in my mind and decided to do something about it. What if I put my Audeze Vegan pads on these. HOLY CRAP!  THERE IT IS!!!  The MAGIC is BACK baby!  All the excitement, engagement, attack came back from a simple pad change! I love how they sound now. There is a minor annoyance in that theres a midbass boost which I'm currently still trying to fix, but it's a huge leap forward in the right direction. It finally sounds like a headphone with focus and man do those mids pop right out. I want to say the imaging and layer is better than the R10 now. The subbass is also earthshaking which I'm sure Abyss lover would like.

I would highly suggest that Fang should keep working on the pads. They are really holding the driver back.

At this point, I can almost say this is the best headphone in the world (haven't heard an Orpheus though). Hifiman did a very good job with the driver and now with my mod, I can say these are an HE-6 replacement. Last month, I shoved my modded HE-6 in Fang's face and told him these are the real benchmark! I sort of take that back now because the HE1k is the new benchmark once they have been modded.

So which Audeze ear pads are these? I see lamb and then the non leather so I would guess you are referring to the non leather, though they are noted as a vegan type. Did they shape easily and fit the form of the HE1000?

May 17, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #3,874 of 14,689
Vegan=Non-Leather Pads

May 17, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #3,875 of 14,689
If anyone wants to see how the pads are attached: http://www.head-fi.org/t/761919/hifiman-flagship-headphone-he1000-beta-testing-opportunity-closed-and-shipping/1455#post_11611278

May 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #3,876 of 14,689
I received the HE1000 a little over an hour ago. Already, within an hour I hear some of the normal changes in sound. The 1000 started loosening up right away. Layering increased and became more natural. I am running some DSD to the PHA3 then out to my home amp. I love the layering of this headphone. Exciting. Nice materials that the the phones are made out of. 

I also like the box the HE1000 came in, the storage box. Nice solid latch on the front, very solid and very good looking design of the rest of the box. I wonder if Fang has thought about putting a serial number on the HE1000.

May 19, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,878 of 14,689
May 19, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #3,880 of 14,689
Woupd make sense to b on the unit itself too...hmmm...

Question though. Anyone know what the letters at the top of the headband is for?

May 19, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #3,881 of 14,689
It's not physically on the phones but rather on a card in the box

That's interesting... Mine has two different numbers stamped on it. Does anyone else's have that?

Kojaku

May 19, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #3,882 of 14,689
My HE1000s just arrived about half an hour ago, whoo. Still at work though so was only able to quickly pop it out of the packaging to take a look. The build quality is exceptional (even the earpads, which use distinctly different pleather and possibly velour material than the usual Focus pads; edit: might actually be genuine leather, hard to tell).

Interestingly I also had to adjust the headband to the smallest setting to fit my head (which is above average in size). No problem for me ofc since with that setting it fits perfectly, but it may be something that needs to be addressed going past beta.

...Just waiting to go home now.

May 19, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #3,883 of 14,689
May 19, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #3,884 of 14,689
Ok, I found the card. It would be nice to have it engraved on the phones, maybe in the future. 

May 19, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #3,885 of 14,689
  My HE1000s just arrived about half an hour ago, whoo. Still at work though so was only able to quickly pop it out of the packaging to take a look. The build quality is exceptional (even the earpads, which use distinctly different pleather and possibly velour material than the usual Focus pads; edit: might actually be genuine leather, hard to tell).

Interestingly I also had to adjust the headband to the smallest setting to fit my head (which is above average in size). No problem for me ofc since with that setting it fits perfectly, but it may be something that needs to be addressed going past beta.

...Just waiting to go home now.

Yup agreed. I am also using these on the minimal setting. I can see more adjustment options needed for some people.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back