Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 20, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #2,386 of 14,798

Well you said that the he1000 was "by all accounts" better than the other TOTLs, which is just a ridiculous and untrue statement.  The hyperbole is absurd, which is by definition hype.  If you don't believe me, read icebear's or my impressions. 

No. I didn't make an all encompassing reference to all other TOTL headphones - my reply to yours was in relation to the price position against Audeze's offerings.
Ok, I'll re-phrase what I said: going by the majority of accounts the he-1000's are would appear to more accomplished than Audeze's TOTL phones - hence justifying a higher price. But personal sound preference comes into play of course.
My personal thoughts will have to await an audition.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #2,387 of 14,798
Within hours of crushing them in your review, you're now planning on buying them?

I think you are taking my review a bit too negatively. I stated many times that they are a good pair of headphones. I simply said they aren't a game changer like we thought.
IMO I don't think they are as transparent and realistic as the HD800. But, as I've said many times. They do have a nice relaxing sound compared to the HD800 and I would not mined having them for times when I'm not doing critical listening.
As it stands the MPH1000 may be replacing my HD800 for that purpose. I really need to find someone that owns one of those
ph34r.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #2,388 of 14,798
Within hours of crushing them in your review, you're now planning on buying them?

i think a quick direct comparision mainly gives you a clear sense of the differeneces in sound sig. usually ppl will be biased towards the sound sig they r more familiar w. need an extended audition to remove "brian bias/brain burn-in." also, a lot of the subtleties of a headphone's performance requires more head time.

sounds like the sound sig of the he1k is different from the hd800, which is good for me personally as i personally find the hd800 too bright

i am greatly enjoying readin new impressions from this event, both positive or negative.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #2,389 of 14,798
i think a quick direct comparision mainly gives you a clear sense of the differeneces in sound sig. usually ppl will be biased towards the sound sig they r more familiar w. need an extended audition to remove "brian bias/brain burn-in." also, a lot of the subtleties of a headphone's performance requires more head time.

sounds like the sound sig of the he1k is different from the hd800, which is good for me personally as i personally find the hd800 too bright

i am greatly enjoying readin new impressions from this event, both positive or negative.

Completely agree as long as the reviewers have followed the recommendations in your first paragraph. That's why I'm not a huge fan of reviews from shows or demos where not enough time was spent to get past the "it's different" phase.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #2,390 of 14,798

I think you are taking my review a bit too negatively. I stated many times that they are a good pair of headphones. I simply said they aren't a game changer like we thought.
IMO I don't think they are as transparent and realistic as the HD800. But, as I've said many times. They do have a nice relaxing sound compared to the HD800 and I would not mined having them for times when I'm not doing critical listening.
As it stands the MPH1000 may be replacing my HD800 for that purpose. I really need to find someone that owns one of those
ph34r.gif

I'm with Coinmaster regarding his opinion about the HD800s and the LCD-XCs...to me these are the best open and closed headphones, and I've heard many.  Since it looks like we both share the same taste in sound signature, I am truly taking his opinions quite seriously.  If he says that he likes the HD800s more than the HE-1000s, then it could very well be that my opinion will turn out to be the same.  I don't like hazy-sounding headphones, no siree!

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #2,391 of 14,798

I had a short listen to the HE6 as well during my stay. It was not modded(at least to my knowledge). The HE1000 sounded to the HE6 like what the HD800 sounds to the HD650. It generally just improves on all aspects. I did not listen to the HE6 long enough to get a really good comparison on the sound signature difference, however my short impression was that the HE6 sounded like the HE1000, just worse.

All of what - 10 seconds?  
cool.gif
  That's not enough time to say anything at all.  

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #2,392 of 14,798
That was the HE-6 running off the EF6 though, wasn't it?

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #2,393 of 14,798

All of what - 10 seconds?  
cool.gif
  That's not enough time to say anything at all.  

Maybe the volume was higher because the He-1000 is more efficient :D.

Mar 20, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #2,394 of 14,798
Hey coinmaster, this is Craig (the guy with the HE-6). I think we need to remember no headphone is all things to all listeners. It all comes down to personal taste and what's important to you. If the HD800s soundstaging is your thing the HE1000 on todays setup didn't quite match it in out of your headness. If you like a more balanced full bodied and natural toned hp, I believe the HE-6 is better compared to the HD800. Heck you even commented that that the 800s sounded tinny, just as I told you at todays meet. You also commented that the 800s lack soul, I find no such problem with the HE-6.
You said the Hifiman's have a haze in comparison. Thats because the HE-6, HE1000 (and SR-009 for example) don't have the elevated treble of the HD800 so at first listen they don't appear to be as resolving. But if you LIVE with them for some time you will realize they are just as and even more resolving in most areas. Notice I haven't commented further on the HE1000, thats because I haven't spent enough time with them using my own source to fully access what they are capable of. In my limited time with the HE1000, I got the impression they have improved bass/ body, soundstaging and treble clarity compared to the HE-6. If after an extended audition in my home I find this to be the case, I will definitely be purchasing them as those are the areas I wanted a hp that performed better in.

This is my experience as well. My officemate seating beside me has an HD800 and I have HE-560..When I tried his HD-800 and switching back and forth with the HD-800, I felt my HE-560 were lifeless or veiled lol..and I said schiit I just made a wrong purchase..but when I put on my HE-560 for an hour again, they became the headphone I love again..I have read coinmasters first post on HD-800 vsHE-1000 and thought of my experience when I was switching back and forth with them..

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #2,395 of 14,798
I think the problem is that when you live with the HD800 or others headpones you're intoxicated by the signature. When you pass from the HD800 to the HD1000 you think it must clarity or details because like cradon says it didn't have that artificial brightness.

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #2,396 of 14,798
i get where coinmaster is coming from with his comparison. every planar magnetic i've heard has had that quality. hazy might be too strong a word but i can relate to what he's describing.

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #2,397 of 14,798

In case you haven't read it already, here is a thread comparing the HD 800 and HE-1000:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/759662/hd800-vs-he1000-mhp1000-impressions-suprises-all-around

Thanks! Since I want accuracy above all, I guess I'll cross the HE-1000 off my wish list until perhaps when I can afford to collect lots of summit-fi headphones.

Have you heard any electrostatic headphones, by the way? (Can't remember.) Someone I know likes the STAX SR-207 more than the HD 800, Abyss, and even SR-009, and since it's so much more affordable, I'm thinking I'll get it, but may also get the HD 800.

I have an original Lambda pro with a SRD7MkII but with the diffuse field equalizer ED-1. There is some ethereal quality to the electrostatics, there are just faster than dynamic drivers. But overall I listen almost exclusively to the HD800 when I listen to headphones and not via my speakers.

The prototype HE1000 definitely had some of the electrostatic characteristics. I have not clue how the MkII StereoExchange version is comparing to those CES prototypes but I can't see anyone describing that. Different music will reveal different things ...

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #2,399 of 14,798
CHILL! we're at the point when all our questions will be answered with our own demos.

I must admit Judes impression was a bit of a surprise and I hope I agree with his findings at the end of the day, mainly because the Abyss is on my wish list. However I stated elsewhere on these forums that 2015 was going to be a hell of a year for headphones, the McIntosh MHP1000 will be added to my must hear list despite the fact that I really hate the look of them. In the end though its how a headphone brings me closer to the music of my choice that counts, cosmetics be dammed!

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #2,400 of 14,798

Quote:coinmaster
 I had a short listen to the HE6 as well during my stay. It was not modded(at least to my knowledge). The HE1000 sounded to the HE6 like what the HD800 sounds to the HD650. It generally just improves on all aspects. I did not listen to the HE6 long enough to get a really good comparison on the sound signature difference, however my short impression was that the HE6 sounded like the HE1000, just worse. That being said an unbiased comparison between the HD800 (since I have my gripes with the HD800 to begin with) and the HE1000 revealed to me that (I said all this in my review but I'll say it here anyway) the HE1000 sounded a bit hazy and a bit like you were in the audience with less realistic sound, while the HD800s were clear sounding and it sounded like I was on stage. When I closed my eyes, It sounded like I was really there. Something I could not do with the HE1000.
The HE1000 are not bad. They are about as "hazy" as an HE6, if you consider an HE6 hazy sounding. But I compared the HD800 directly to the HE1000 with about a 1-2 second transfer time between headphones and it is blatantly undeniable that the HD800 are more clear, transparent, and have more realism. It was like night and day when determining which one you could trick yourself into thinking it was real.
The HE1000 are really something you have to try for yourself. I gave the analogy that they sound like a "rustic tavern with a fire going" or "relaxing in a cozy chair in front of a fire" kind of sound. kind of soothing. The hd800s are definitely not that kind of headphone.

Quote:D1sturb3d
 This is my experience as well. My officemate seating beside me has an HD800 and I have HE-560..When I tried his HD-800 and switching back and forth with the HD-800, I felt my HE-560 were lifeless or veiled lol..and I said schiit I just made a wrong purchase..but when I put on my HE-560 for an hour again, they became the headphone I love again..I have read coinmasters first post on HD-800 vsHE-1000 and thought of my experience when I was switching back and forth with them..

Here's the problem...

When I do direct comparisons of my Stax SR-007 Mk1 and Stax SR-009/Sennheiser HE60/Sennheiser HD800, the SR-0078 Mk1 comes out last.

BUT - give the SR-007 three tracks to get re-accustomed to them and they have this mellifluous quality which the others can only dream about.

This is one of the real problems with direct comparisons which other posters have already touched on.

What is really needed is to use each headphone exclusively for a day/week in turn with the same music, and only then can a decision be really made which will be entirely your own, and may severely conflict with others.

That's why "YMMV" should be inherently understood in any post even if it is not stated.

This last factoid would see the reduction of approx 50% of the posts on Head-Fi.

The amount of bickering over opinions here may be positively alarming if it were not so amusing and entertaining. YMMV on that last sentence is understood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back