Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 14, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,396 of 14,799
My hearing is excellent, better than most people. It was tested by an audiologist last year. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,397 of 14,799

It can be. The HD800 needs careful pairing with a warmish amp/DAC setup. I have had good results with the Auralic Vega DAC and tube amps, now the 430HA amp....

Can the Auralic VEGA be considered as WARM ?  

I am asking this because I need to find a DAC that will "warm-up" a little my EC445 which is quite too much "SS signature" for a tube Amp.  I have R2R DAC like TotalDAC and MSB Analog DAC in the radar, but... the VEGA could save few $1000 it it also works fine with my EC445.

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #1,398 of 14,799

Can the Auralic VEGA be considered as WARM ?  

I am asking this because I need to find a DAC that will "warm-up" a little my EC445 which is quite too much "SS signature" for a tube Amp.  I have R2R DAC like TotalDAC and MSB Analog DAC in the radar, but... the VEGA could save few $1000 it it also works fine with my EC445.

Yes, I would also like to know if the Vega is warm, analytical, or neutral.  I recently bought the Auralic Taurus and love it.  I'm thinking about getting the Vega DAC, but would like to know about the sound signature.  Would it be better for the likes of the HD800s/T1s/Grados of the world, or the LCDs?

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #1,400 of 14,799

Yes, I would also like to know if the Vega is warm, analytical, or neutral.  I recently bought the Auralic Taurus and love it.  I'm thinking about getting the Vega DAC, but would like to know about the sound signature.  Would it be better for the likes of the HD800s/T1s/Grados of the world, or the LCDs?

I would say Neutral...

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,401 of 14,799
The reviews of the HE 1Ks better be great for me to take the plunge at more than $2,500.  More than 2.5K and fine (but not great) reviews are not gonna cut it for me...if that's the case, then foggedaboutit!

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,403 of 14,799
Feb 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,404 of 14,799
Feb 14, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,405 of 14,799
I will have to make a decision.  Getting the Vega for my Taurus to drive all my headphones (not to mention the HD800s), or spend on the HE-1000, which would possibly come at the same price at the Vega.  I am definitely leaning toward getting the Vega and forgetting about the HE-1000s.  The HE-1000 reviews better be amazing across the board (and they better be much better than the HD-800s across the board based on the reports of the people I respect, the guy from 6-moons DEFINITELY NOT INCLUDED!!!) in order for me to take the plunge.  In other words, they better be compared favorably to the SR-009s for me to take the plunge, since I am not willing to get the Blue Hawaii amp just to drive the Sr-009s (Way Too Expensive!!!).

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #1,406 of 14,799
My hearing is excellent, better than most people. It was tested by an audiologist last year. 

To be honest I envy people with shall we say less than excellent hearing, or Brain/Ear interface or whatever it is that makes us aware of what should be small differences in equipment that seem huge. Just think Budget equipment, still happy and a big budget for Music/Chemicals.
As it is I'm considering Abyss cans with a serious Amp/DAC, I'm currently sorting out my speaker system, gotta build an active crossover, so its keeping me out of the Abyss (For now!)

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #1,407 of 14,799

To be honest I envy people with shall we say less than excellent hearing, or Brain/Ear interface or whatever it is that makes us aware of what should be small differences in equipment that seem huge. Just think Budget equipment, still happy and a big budget for Music/Chemicals.
As it is I'm considering Abyss cans with a serious Amp/DAC, I'm currently sorting out my speaker system, gotta build an active crossover, so its keeping me out of the Abyss (For now!)

A good speaker system should keep you out of the Abyss for sure. I would love to build an active crossover for my rig.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #1,408 of 14,799
  In other words, they better be compared favorably to the SR-009s for me to take the plunge, since I am not willing to get the Blue Hawaii amp just to drive the Sr-009s (Way Too Expensive!!!).

Unless I see conclusive proof that the HE-1000 is objectively superior to the SR-009 (in the context of high-fidelity audio reproduction, not merely personal preference), I will just get the SR-009 along with the STAX SRM-323S amp (which can drive it well enough), saving a high-end amp for later.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,409 of 14,799

Unless I see conclusive proof that the HE-1000 is objectively superior to the SR-009 (in the context of high-fidelity audio reproduction, not merely personal preference), I will just get the SR-009 along with the STAX SRM-323S amp (which can drive it well enough), saving a high-end amp for later.

Or save money and simply get a speaker tap cable made for any competent and affordable Class A amp available used. It is current that these cans want and that is supplied by nice beefy transformers such as found in speaker amps. Not the only solution, but one not discussed enough.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #1,410 of 14,799
  Or save money and simply get a speaker tap cable made for any competent and affordable Class A amp available used. It is current that these cans want and that is supplied by nice beefy transformers such as found in speaker amps. Not the only solution, but one not discussed enough.

As far as I know, without an electrostatic headphone amplifier, an electrostatic headphone would require an electrostatic converter like the Woo WEE in order to be driven by a speaker amp. I can get the STAX amp for less than the WEE costs, much less buying a speaker amp. Not sure how your solution would be saving money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back