Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 14, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #1,426 of 14,653
I will have to look at the Seattle meet thread from last March/April to see what it was. I just remembered being really excited to try it and hearing convos about the 1 particular amp being one of the best? I might have to check back in tomorrow when I'm on a computer because searching via mobile for that meet thread won't be easy.

I also remember keeping it to myself because I dont want to offend.. but now that I think of it I think it was only 1 sr009 I heard and the th900 was the other I found lacking for the price. I'll look and verify.

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #1,427 of 14,653
So there were two that day, listened to both but more on the SS Gilmore amp. I wasn't impressed (for the price at least) by either.

However in Stax's defense, one of the most amazing headphones I've heard to date was the Stax Sigma playing acoustic guitar music. I was floored by the detail, speed, clarity, etc. If I were looking for a totl headphone I would highly consider one but it's harder to buy those being vintage. Not just in rarity but being able to properly inspect it because of age.

To quote another memebr that helped me refresh my memory:
"Similarly for the STAX SR-009, I didn't get a chance to hear it during last year's Bottlehead meet, so it was interesting to hear it this time around. For the two SR-009 setups that were here this year, I enjoyed it out of KingStyles' rig more with the Eddie Current Electra. It was weird that the Kevin Gilmore Solid State amp sounded more warm and tube-like to me than the tube-based Electra.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #1,428 of 14,653

But meets are social and fun, you get to hang out with people you never knew you would like so much!

Social? That's exactly the reason I don't want to go to meets...I am a misanthrope...the only people I really like are Mahler, Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Wagner (err...only his music, not the man, of course), and other composers.  Since I don't really want to talk to people, just hear their music, let all others do the chattering at the meets.  I'm with Catwoman on this one...me, my headphones, and my music in the privacy of my home. Meets may be fun to you, but they would be agony for me!!!

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #1,429 of 14,653
  Social? That's exactly the reason I don't want to go to meets...I am a misanthrope...the only people I really like are Mahler, Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Wagner (err...only his music, not the man, of course), and other composers.  Since I don't really want to talk to people, just hear their music, let all others do the chattering at the meets.  I'm with Catwoman on this one...me, my headphones, and my music in the privacy of my home. Meets may be fun to you, but they would be agony for me!!!

Cat girl! (=^‥^=)

I have nothing against others going to meets. They are an effective and efficient way to audition lots of headphones. Call me an elitist, but they just aren't my style.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #1,430 of 14,653
So for reference, does anyone have information on the amp output power needed to "fully" drive the HE-1000? (Although I didn't bother reading through the thread, my reason for posting is because I am interested.) Unless the specs have been altered, it has an impedance of 35 ohms and sensitivity of 90 dB. The only thing I know is that my current amp can output well over a watt into that. Not having to get a new amp to drive them would be a factor influencing whether (or how soon) I get it. I saw something about the launch price being $2,500 -- not inconsiderable by any means, but still attractive considering the impressive things I've read about it so far.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #1,431 of 14,653
So for reference, does anyone have information on the amp output power needed to "fully" drive the HE-1000? (Although I didn't bother reading through the thread, my reason for posting is because I am interested.) Unless the specs have been altered, it has an impedance of 35 ohms and sensitivity of 90 dB. The only thing I know is that my current amp can output well over a watt into that. Not having to get a new amp to drive them would be a factor influencing whether (or how soon) I get it. I saw something about the launch price being $2,500 -- not inconsiderable by any means, but still attractive considering the impressive things I've read about it so far.

Planar magnetic like power... The more the marrier

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #1,432 of 14,653

retracted - why bother? Sorry for your agony.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #1,434 of 14,653
  retracted - why bother? Sorry for your agony.

No agony here.  It would be agony to go to a meet. Since I stay away I am not agonizing.  I am as happy as a lark.  Like Clint Eastwood once said, "A man's gotta know his limitations" (i.e., "I'm not a social butterfly and enjoy my solitude...that's my limitation and I fully embrace it).

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #1,435 of 14,653
Seriously guys. I can understand misanthrops hate meets but for "normal" people, meets are way more useful than ayn review you can read on the Web. Trust me : to hear by yourself headphones and gear is an eye opening experience. For sure, owning headphones, amps and dacs at home during long periods is better but Not everyone has enough money to purchase all headphones and make a personal opinion . So, meets are the most useful and affordable experience.  For sure , owning headphones , amps and dacs at home during long periods is better .

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,436 of 14,653

Cat girl will remain in the shadows.
tongue.gif

Y̶K̶Y̶A̶ ̶(̶i̶n̶t̶r̶o̶v̶e̶r̶t̶)̶ ̶A̶W̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶u̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶d̶f̶i̶ ̶m̶e̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶"̶m̶e̶e̶t̶s̶"̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶u̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶  Sorry, *cough*, wrong thread. Err, anyways, I haven't owned nor listened to any non-dynamic driver headphones before, and the HE1000 and the EL8 have peaked my interest in non-dynamic types; I daren't look at the SR-009 because of the price and the expensive amps that are required to feed them it since I doubt my Schiit M2U stack could satiate the ravenous hunger of the SR-009.

Would be really nice to see how the HE1000 fare against the SR009, and the EL8 as well since it is relatively cheap for planars, and also how it compares to the LCDs with its new tech. 

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #1,437 of 14,653
I thought the hd800 sounded better than a sr009 from 2 different totl amps. This is an hd800 running on a bottlehead crack..

So if this he1000 is league(s) above the hd800, which according to many it is, then in my scale the stax is a bad buy. Just my thoughts of course.

Its not a league(s) above it... I've heard it side by side all the TOTLs and its not leagues above the other TOTLs, maybe marginally better.  But you know this w/o reading any impressions or this post. Law of diminishing returns at the TOTL level is ridiculous.  Also if its marginally improved expect to pay significantly increased cost, so HD800s, HE6's, and Sr009s and LCD3's are not debunked.

Just be rational about it and sift through the hype

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #1,438 of 14,653
Planar magnetic like power... The more the marrier

I was looking for concrete specs, though. There is a limit for any headphone where it doesn't need more power, and also a limit where more power could damage the drivers.

Y̶K̶Y̶A̶ ̶(̶i̶n̶t̶r̶o̶v̶e̶r̶t̶)̶ ̶A̶W̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶u̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶d̶f̶i̶ ̶m̶e̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶c̶i̶a̶l̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶"̶m̶e̶e̶t̶s̶"̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶s̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶u̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶  Sorry, *cough*, wrong thread. Err, anyways, I haven't owned nor listened to any non-dynamic driver headphones before, and the HE1000 and the EL8 have peaked my interest in non-dynamic types; I daren't look at the SR-009 because of the price and the expensive amps that are required to feed them it since I doubt my Schiit M2U stack could satiate the ravenous hunger of the SR-009.

Would be really nice to see how the HE1000 fare against the SR009, and the EL8 as well since it is relatively cheap for planars, and also how it compares to the LCDs with its new tech. 

Haha! I wouldn't be surprised if you came here because I did. XD

For future reference, electrostatic headphones require either a dedicated electrostatic headphone amplifier (not a conventional one) or an electrostatic converter connected to a speaker amp in order to use them at all. I'm sure all three headphones offer unique things, and I'm interested in them all, but I need to factor everything into whatever budget I have when the time comes. Ironically, it may cost me less to get an SR-009 system than the HE-1000, if it needs much more power than my current amp can provide. Imported from Japan, the SR-009 and STAX SRM-323S amp are less than $3,400. If the HE-1000 launches at $2,500 and I need a much more powerful amp, it would cost $4,199 to get it with the Schiit Ragnarok. I'm assuming the EF-1000 would be far costlier. Of course, a TOTL electrostat amp would be an extra $4K+, but it's not necessary.

Its not a league(s) above it... I've heard it side by side all the TOTLs and its not leagues above the other TOTLs, maybe marginally better.  But you know this w/o reading any impressions or this post. Law of diminishing returns at the TOTL level is ridiculous.  Also if its marginally improved expect to pay significantly increased cost, so HD800s, HE6's, and Sr009s and LCD3's are not debunked.

Just be rational about it and sift through the hype

In my prior research, I saw your post:

As it is now... it is not on par w/ the SR009,  Id say it plays w/ the LCD3s and HD800s.  With the right refinements though I think it could take down the SR009.

Based off my memory ofc of the SR009... its been a long time

Would you be able to elaborate upon this?

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,439 of 14,653

Haha! I wouldn't be surprised if you came here because I did. XD

For future reference, electrostatic headphones require either a dedicated electrostatic headphone amplifier (not a conventional one) or an electrostatic converter connected to a speaker amp in order to use them at all. I'm sure all three headphones offer unique things, and I'm interested in them all, but I need to factor everything into whatever budget I have when the time comes. Ironically, it may cost me less to get an SR-009 system than the HE-1000, if it needs much more power than my current amp can provide. Imported from Japan, the SR-009 and STAX SRM-323S amp are less than $3,400. If the HE-1000 launches at $2,500 and I need a much more powerful amp, it would cost $4,199 to get it with the Schiit Ragnarok. I'm assuming the EF-1000 would be far costlier. Of course, a TOTL electrostat amp would be an extra $4K+, but it's not necessary.

Well, actually I came here because I saw a CES video covering the HE1000, also, I was just looking for headphones I may consider obtaining in the future for "at home" use that I can "relax" with. I've had closed headphones so far and they do nibble at the soundstage quite a bit, and after a short dig, it seems that electrostatics and planars are generally(I think?) more laid back compared to dynamics while not sacrificing imaging, separation, clarity, and all that good stuff, and one thing led to another and now going through this thread. Also, you're everywhere on headfi...you're impossible to avoid, Mr. Omnipresent Music Alchemist ~____~.

The SR-009 AND the SRM-323S combined are less than $3400?? If so, I'm really excited for them to be compared to the HE1000 with A/B testing. Anticipating detailed, in depth, 1/2 hour long videos on them. Also, do electrostatic headphone amps play nice with non-electrostatic headphones?  

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #1,440 of 14,653

Well, actually I came here because I saw a CES video covering the HE1000, also, I was just looking for headphones I may consider obtaining in the future for "at home" use that I can "relax" with. I've had closed headphones so far and they do nibble at the soundstage quite a bit, and after a short dig, it seems that electrostatics and planars are generally(I think?) more laid back compared to dynamics while not sacrificing imaging, separation, clarity, and all that good stuff, and one thing led to another and now going through this thread.

How laid-back a headphone is is separate from whether it's dynamic, planar magnetic, electrostatic, piezoelectric, etc. There are certain things each type excels at, but they should be judged on a case-by-case basis. You can read about how electrostats work here.

Also, you're everywhere on headfi...you're impossible to avoid, Mr. Omnipresent Music Alchemist ~____~.

very_evil_smiley.gif

The SR-009 AND the SRM-323S combined are less than $3400?? If so, I'm really excited for them to be compared to the HE1000 with A/B testing. Anticipating detailed, in depth, 1/2 hour long videos on them.

The current US retail price is $5,325. It's much lower when imported from Japan.

Also, do electrostatic headphone amps play nice with non-electrostatic headphones?

No way. Super high voltage, man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back