Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 15, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #1,456 of 14,653
C'mon the title says "fanboys get your @$$ in here" lol. Their products are good but they wouldn't be my first choice. Theres also a lot of hype power with Schiit, a good mix of hype power on their lower end and the upper end offering decent value! Not too mention fantastic aesthetics

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,457 of 14,653
You are extremely in the minority there. I have read hundreds, if not thousands of posts from Schiit owners, owners of those products and while not thousands or hundreds of unique owners, there is rarely anything but positive sentiment expressed. At least you know not to buy Schiit gear as you don't like it.
a million or more people bought a Fiat or citroen and all owners love them..but whenever i see a car at the side of the road a lot are a citroen or another french or budget italian model..but still...if u check their threads u would believe their cars are even more reliable then a porsche 911 or a toyota landcruiser! love (or hype!) for something does a lot to u..... I myself also heard noise coming from a lyr 1 when i compared it to the modded 337 i once had...if i didn't compare it to my amp i probably didnt hear it i have to admit..

my point...eventhough that a million people love some brand..others are MAYBE more demanding...and then a minimal noise irritates as hell...for me even the minimal noise makes me decide against that amp...no matter the price or reputation..if my ears recognize noise thats not in the music...how minimal so..i will immediately dislike it...no matter how many millions like it...so i can understand what he means...maybe he should look into less mainstream quality stuff??? :wink:

Me??? I am a dude who goes totally against any hype or what MOST say....i go my own way...and until now i am happy i do :wink:

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,458 of 14,653
C'mon the title says "fanboys get your @$$ in here" lol. Their products are good but they wouldn't be my first choice. Theres also a lot of hype power with Schiit, a good mix of hype power on their lower end and the upper end offering decent value! Not too mention fantastic aesthetics

Now if only we could get a decent headphone/speaker amp device like Ragnarok, but not the Ragnarok, and at a fair price (2k) that could give Schiit a run for their money.

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #1,460 of 14,653
The hummingbird I had was the Lyr 1.  I bought it hoping (and it was falsely advertised as such) that it would drive the power pigs that the HE-6s are.  Not only did it hum, but the HE-6s clipped whenever the orchestral tuttis or the bangs of the timpani would make their appearances.  Waste of money.  The Mjolnir is fine with the LCD-Xs, but nothing to write home about either.  The Burson soloist is a much better amp with those headphones (and others) even if it is not balanced. The HD800s with the Mjolnir is pure torture (like driving a rusty nail inside your eardrums), but it has to be admitted that this amp was not really designed to be used with the already bright HD800s.  I do have to remember that Schitt is directed at the head-fier on a budget.  I've been lucky to have the means to access more of the high-end stuff, so maybe the comparison is unfair and unwarranted.  I just hope that it is not hell trying to adequately drive the HE-1000s (it doesn't sound like they are).

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #1,461 of 14,653
The hummingbird I had was the Lyr 1.  I bought it hoping (and it was falsely advertised as such) that it would drive the power pigs that the HE-6s are.  Not only did it hum, but the HE-6s clipped whenever the orchestral tuttis or the bangs of the timpani would make their appearances.  Waste of money.  The Mjolnir is fine with the LCD-Xs, but nothing to write home about either.  The Burson soloist is a much better amp with those headphones (and others) even if it is not balanced. The HD800s with the Mjolnir is pure torture (like driving a rusty nail inside your eardrums), but it has to be admitted that this amp was not really designed to be used with the already bright HD800s.  I do have to remember that Schitt is directed at the head-fier on a budget.  I've been lucky to have the means to access more of the high-end stuff, so maybe the comparison is unfair and unwarranted.  I just hope that it is not hell trying to adequately drive the HE-1000s (it doesn't sound like they are).

Maybe a tip...if u have the budget....contact Blue Circle Audio...as it sounds like that brand could be the right one for u.....u wont regret it :D

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,462 of 14,653

Oh, please, please tell us your High-End is the Dark Star. Christ.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #1,463 of 14,653
Feb 15, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #1,464 of 14,653

Nothing budget about my Ragnarok amp .

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #1,465 of 14,653

I think it's rather well-known now that Mjolnir isn't a great match with HD800. I am not hardly surprised people are disappointed with that setup.

Edit: that said, I think you still should try their new top of line amp called Ragnarok. CanJam is coming very soon.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,466 of 14,653

I was looking for concrete specs, though. There is a limit for any headphone where it doesn't need more power, and also a limit where more power could damage the drivers.

Haha! I wouldn't be surprised if you came here because I did. XD

For future reference, electrostatic headphones require either a dedicated electrostatic headphone amplifier (not a conventional one) or an electrostatic converter connected to a speaker amp in order to use them at all. I'm sure all three headphones offer unique things, and I'm interested in them all, but I need to factor everything into whatever budget I have when the time comes. Ironically, it may cost me less to get an SR-009 system than the HE-1000, if it needs much more power than my current amp can provide. Imported from Japan, the SR-009 and STAX SRM-323S amp are less than $3,400. If the HE-1000 launches at $2,500 and I need a much more powerful amp, it would cost $4,199 to get it with the Schiit Ragnarok. I'm assuming the EF-1000 would be far costlier. Of course, a TOTL electrostat amp would be an extra $4K+, but it's not necessary.

In my prior research, I saw your post:

Would you be able to elaborate upon this?

Its been a while since I auditioned the SR009 so take these w/ a grain of salt, but from memory I felt the SR009 was all around faster, more detailed, and equally as open sounding.  The SR009's I feel are more neutral and reference sounding. Sr009's have a thinner more accurate midrange, better bass impact and texture.  Relative to the SR009, HE1000s have a subtle U shaped FR.  HE1000's have more bass presence, but slightly sluggish relative to the SR009's lightning fast bass response.  The HE1000's had a more euphonic midrange and less sparkly treble (in a good way), but this might just be d/t the SR009's improved resolution.  HE1000s have a marginally better soundstage, which I think might be the best I've heard.  Build quality on the SR009 also outshines the HE1000's by a fair margin, finished aluminum and sturdy construction.  HE1000s are more comfortable.  The HE1000's are probably a funner listen, but I'm a purist and prefer reference for everything... so I'd take an SR009 over the prototype HE1000s.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,467 of 14,653
Seriously guys. I can understand misanthrops hate meets but for "normal" people, meets are way more useful than ayn review you can read on the Web. Trust me : to hear by yourself headphones and gear is an eye opening experience. For sure, owning headphones, amps and dacs at home during long periods is better but Not everyone has enough money to purchase all headphones and make a personal opinion . So, meets are the most useful and affordable experience.  For sure , owning headphones , amps and dacs at home during long periods is better .

Sorrodje, you need to fly over for the Music City Meet, April 18th!!! Fang, please send the HE1000 for audition, please!!!

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #1,468 of 14,653
  Its been a while since I auditioned the SR009 so take these w/ a grain of salt, but from memory I felt the SR009 was all around faster, more detailed, and equally as open sounding.  The SR009's I feel are more neutral and reference sounding. Sr009's have a thinner more accurate midrange, better bass impact and texture.  Relative to the SR009, HE1000s have a subtle U shaped FR.  HE1000's have more bass presence, but slightly sluggish relative to the SR009's lightning fast bass response.  The HE1000's had a more euphonic midrange and less sparkly treble (in a good way), but this might just be d/t the SR009's improved resolution.  HE1000s have a marginally better soundstage, which I think might be the best I've heard.  Build quality on the SR009 also outshines the HE1000's by a fair margin, finished aluminum and sturdy construction.  HE1000s are more comfortable.  The HE1000's are probably a funner listen, but I'm a purist and prefer reference for everything... so I'd take an SR009 over the prototype HE1000s.

Thanks!

I feel the same way. For that price range, I will settle for no less than an ultimate reference headphone, so this just bolsters my resolve. I'm still interested in many others, but they take backstage until budget is no longer an issue.

On another note, wasn't there something about an additional upcoming HiFiMAN headphone being similar to the HE-1000, but more affordable?

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #1,469 of 14,653

It sounds like you are saying if you can't afford truly decent gear, buy Schiit. Not really very nice, nor truly accurate, but certainly we are all entitled to our opinions. That said if one was working by sample size, those who complain about Schiit gear the way you are characterizing it is very small. Now you can counter that this is due to the fact that most people can't afford the good stuff therefore the sample will always be skewed in this manner, and that may be true, but I believe most people have good experiences with Schiit gear because Schiit gear is generally quite good.

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #1,470 of 14,653
It sounds like you are saying if you can't afford truly decent gear, buy Schiit. Not really very nice, nor truly accurate, but certainly we are all entitled to our opinions. That said if one was working by sample size, those who complain about Schiit gear the way you are characterizing it is very small. Now you can counter that this is due to the fact that most people can't afford the good stuff therefore the sample will always be skewed in this manner, and that may be true, but I believe most people have good experiences with Schiit gear because Schiit gear is generally quite good.
Take a poll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back