Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 15, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #1,471 of 14,653
Feb 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,472 of 14,653
I wonder if Schiit appreciates the mention good or bad, marketing is big for Schiit and I think they'll take all the mentions and opinions.

As for the poll, this isn't the place for it. The fanboy thread isn't either.. so if someone was to make a "your best or worst schiit experience thread" with a poll, that might make more sense.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #1,473 of 14,653

Thanks!

I feel the same way. For that price range, I will settle for no less than an ultimate reference headphone, so this just bolsters my resolve. I'm still interested in many others, but they take backstage until budget is no longer an issue.

On another note, wasn't there something about an additional upcoming HiFiMAN headphone being similar to the HE-1000, but more affordable?

I think there will probably be something between the HE1000 and HD560 as that is quite a price difference.  For now there is HE-6, which is still a very capable headphone and a good option for people who find the HD800 to be thin, or the 009 to lack weight etc.  

Personally at some point I just had to have the HD800 because I found it to overcome the shortcomings of the HE-6 in my system (dynamic contrast and delicacy).  But this was not a smooth transition by any means, at first I found the HD800 treble harsh to the point of physical pain.  There were many times I missed the lush mids of the HE-6.

Personally I am leaning towards 009 as an end game headphone, as it happens to probably be cheaper than HE1000 and [probably] more suits the direction I want to take my system sound wise (less distortion than HD800 and more effortless)

Edit: I should probably make clear that I have not heard the HE-1000.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #1,474 of 14,653
I wonder if Schiit appreciates the mention good or bad, marketing is big for Schiit and I think they'll take all the mentions and opinions.

As for the poll, this isn't the place for it. The fanboy thread isn't either.. so if someone was to make a "your best or worst schiit experience thread" with a poll, that might make more sense.
Neither is this the place to debate another vendor's products in this thread. Take this Schiit elsewhere.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,475 of 14,653
Click on the person's name, select block member.

O___O I would never want to block Music Alchemist, he's funny and he teaches me stuff without being condescending shouty. Just saying that almost every thread I go to, he's already there. 

Quote:

He and I are buddies. lol

You're more like my accidental mentor buddy XD. Also, thanks for the link.  

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,476 of 14,653
  O___O I would never want to block Music Alchemist, he's funny and he teaches me stuff without being condescending shouty. Just saying that almost every thread I go to, he's already there. 
You're more like my accidental mentor buddy XD. Also, thanks for the link.  

(I spend far too much time on Head-Fi...but I find it to be quite rewarding!)

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #1,477 of 14,653
Maybe a tip...if u have the budget....contact Blue Circle Audio...as it sounds like that brand could be the right one for u.....u wont regret it
biggrin.gif

never heard of it...but I have the Auralic Taurus and three months won't pass before I marry it to the Auralic Vega.  I don't think I'll need anything else after that.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #1,479 of 14,653

never heard of it...but I have the Auralic Taurus and three months won't pass before I marry it to the Auralic Vega.  I don't think I'll need anything else after that.

Excellent pairing (as you would expect). Vega is a wonderful DAC - very detailed and musical. I love mine.

Currently pairing it with the Simaudio 430HA and very happy with the outcome so far.

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #1,480 of 14,653

It sounds like you are saying if you can't afford truly decent gear, buy Schiit. Not really very nice, nor truly accurate, but certainly we are all entitled to our opinions. That said if one was working by sample size, those who complain about Schiit gear the way you are characterizing it is very small. Now you can counter that this is due to the fact that most people can't afford the good stuff therefore the sample will always be skewed in this manner, and that may be true, but I believe most people have good experiences with Schiit gear because Schiit gear is generally quite good.

Price doesn't really matter to me that much if you get something good.  For instance, I still use the EF-5 amp (it's in my bedroom rig), which cost me less than $400 and I think it is a tremendous little amp.  It drives everything with aplomb (everything sounds great out of it).  I have a nice Mazda Cifte 12AU7 tube (from Kevin Deal's website) in it and it is pure magic...hell, sounds almost as good as the Grace 902 for a quarter of the price....highly recommended for those on a budget. Beats the Lyr and Mjolnir like the proverbial drum.  So no, I'm not an elitist who thinks that more expensive is always better.  Lets just leave it at this: I don't like Schitt products (well, at least the two I've tried/owned).  Hell, there are people here making fun of my Darkstar and that's fine with me.  If you don't like the measurements of the Darkstar or the way it sounds, that's fine and dandy with me.  So, there.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #1,483 of 14,653
honestly, demoing outside in meet conditions without your own gear, source tracks, and your other reference headphones doesn't tell you much besides the overall sound signature of the headphones, which can be easily found here by good reviewers whose opinions of other headphones match yours or via good measurements.

I don't think relying on solely on measurements or quick demos at meets/stores or online reviews is very ideal. I think they all basically tell you the same general information about the overall sound signature of the headphones, but beyond that... not really much else. The best is to be able to have the headphones at home for a few weeks. That definitely gives you the best and most accurate personal impressions of the headphones. ...aka getting headphones via tours or from a store with a good return policy.

I have auditioned headphones and found my impressions of them can change after actually owning them. Really need to own them for a little while to get an accurate judge of headphones IMO.
+1 Great advice sir.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #1,484 of 14,653
Price doesn't really matter to me that much if you get something good.  For instance, I still use the EF-5 amp (it's in my bedroom rig), which cost me less than $400 and I think it is a tremendous little amp.  It drives everything with aplomb (everything sounds great out of it).  I have a nice Mazda Cifte 12AU7 tube (from Kevin Deal's website) in it and it is pure magic...hell, sounds almost as good as the Grace 902 for a quarter of the price....highly recommended for those on a budget. Beats the Lyr and Mjolnir like the proverbial drum.  So no, I'm not an elitist who thinks that more expensive is always better.  Lets just leave it at this: I don't like Schitt products (well, at least the two I've tried/owned).  Hell, there are people here making fun of my Darkstar and that's fine with me.  If you don't like the measurements of the Darkstar or the way it sounds, that's fine and dandy with me.  So, there.

I agree with most of your opinion, you aggravated me when you said all Schiit products are for those on a budget, and that is just plain wrong. But we're all human and all have a opinion. Have a good one jamming out with your rig, may it put a smile on your face.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #1,485 of 14,653

Isn't the darkstar like 4.5k?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back